d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo II > Diablo 2 Discussion > Strategy & Guides > W/s Fiery Light Pvp Trapper Quick Guide > For The Wealthly Player But Not Crazy
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1.00
Dec 7 2017 07:24pm
Mainly PvP - Weapon/Shield (W/S) Fire Blast Light Trapper, for the moderately to very wealthy player

(my Assassin's name will be: Doubts, to compliment my bone necro named Worries who will soon become non-ladder)

This is a USEAST realm guide and is the build I plan on trying to do next. I do not claim it to be the best trapper setup ever, but it is what I want to do for my enjoyment and I believe it will be awesome. It is for experienced duelers and for trappers who like to hunt down their prey.

Rainbow facets etc. don't work with traps but they do work with fireblast! This build is meant to be able to potentially kill players who use moderate levels of sorb!

MERC:

If you want a mercenary, use an act 2 merc with prayer, holy freeze or defiance (if prayer or defiance, get from normal difficulty for better stats). The merc would use infinity eth col voulge, prob eth fortitude and prob andy's helm (pretty sure holy freeze is the best choice)

GOALS:

65 or 102 fcr, 48 or 86 fhr, 32% FBR(stormshield has 35%), max or close to max trap laying speed, and 3 main setups:
-max resists general use build
-super stacked maxed resists and a little sorb build
-high dr and high block build (max if you want)
Also want good lightning dmg and really good fireblast dmg... sometimes use fire faceted equip for fun...

SKILLS:

max 4 lightning trap skills (80)
max fireblast last(or prob charged sentry last just because fireblast more fun) (20)
1 into wake of fire
1 into all shadow disc except venom (9)
zero into martial arts
total = 110
notes:required level for completion = 99 (enigma gives 74 strength at level 99, 73 at 98 or 72 at 96)
more notes: maybe no fade? maybe 1 into dragon talon and have an OW setup? could always just be bm and prebuff fade? prob just 1 in fade... or ill prebuff it until level 99 because it's really not critical <you will use BoS 95% of the time>...

STATS:

starting base amounts...
Strength: 20
Dexterity: 20
Vitality: 20
Energy: 25

end amounts...
no strength... at least not at level 98... you can re-spec infinitely now so just use your own stat points to put some into strength until you can afford to do zero
Some into dex for more blocking and ability to use phaseblade
rest into vitality
no energy

GEAR for high block and max dr%, decent resists, 102% fcr and %86 fhr:

-Rare circlet (or a magic 2/20/2os)- +2 Assassin skills, 20fcr, with Str, Dex, Life, Mana and Resists - socketed with 7%fhr/str/dex/res/life/mana (best you can get) jewel as 1%fhr is needed to hit 86% fhr breakpoint here!)[if 2os type, the other socket you must put a 9strength/15 resist jewel or something for 18 strength total]<must be at least +18 strength, possibly around 30>
-Maras amulet (closer to 30 all res the better)
-32%fcr (or higher) spirit phaseblade or long sword will just barely work but may as well do phaseblade
-or sometimes use 6x fire facet phaseblade! which will make you hit 65 fcr bp and with 1 trap fhr gc, 48%fhr bp)
-enigma dusk shroud (+73str minimum (req. level 98) if circlet only has 18 str to hit 156 for monarch)
-stormshield with ber rune (eld or fire facet also good but ber prob best overall here)
-arach
-magefist(adds 1 to fire skills!)
-10% fcr, dexterity, life, mana ring
-ravenfrost
-shadowdancers(req 167 str but stormshield adds 30 so you're good)(gives 30%fhr, dex, +2 shadow disc)

cta/spirit switch(need 32fcr spirit for 102fcr breakpoint while doing bo)(ideally get a 6bo/6bc CTA)

10x life/res sc's (I'd say get a little more fire than other resists here because when using spirit monarch, you lack fire resists a bit...)
9x trapper lifers (switch to 1x trap fhr gc for when using fire facet phase blade)
20/20 torch or close
20/20 anni or close

note: strategy for this setup is to use burst of speed after doing bc with cta/spirit out so it is level 18 (+11+2shadowdancers+4torchandanni=+17)...(need it to be level 16 if using long sword for max trap laying speed... only need level 3 BoS if using Phaseblade.) -Also cast cloak of shadows to increase your defense.

GEAR for max resists and general use (102%fcr and either 86% or 48% fhr depending):

(with hoto +19 to assassin skills, +21 to shadow disc /w shadowdancers, +28 to traps, +29 to fire traps --> will do 8k fireblast dmg at lvl 99 and almost 12k light)
(with fire facet PB, +24 to traps and +25 to fire traps --> will do 6959 fireblast dmg, +30% to fire dmg = 9k fireblast dmg!!???!!!!!)

-Rare circlet (or a magic 2/20/2os)- +2 Assassin skills, 20fcr, with Str, Dex, Life, Mana and Resists - socketed with 7%fhr/str/dex/res/life/mana jewel)[if 2os type, the other socket you must put a 9strength etc jewel for 18 total]<figure it'll be at least +18 strength, possibly around 30>
-HOTO flail
-or 6x fire facet phaseblade! (swap 1 ring with 10% fcr ring to get 102 fcr)
-enigma dusk shroud (+73str minimum (req. level 98) if circlet only has 18 str)
-32% spirit monarch
-Arach (could switch this out same time as magefist with hoto ONLY if put on 10fcr ring)
-magefist(when using hoto you can switch this with bloodfist for 86% fhr bp if you want if not using shadowdancers and need the fhr)<otherwise I'm not mad if just have 132% overkill fcr>
-bk ring x 2, or 1 soj and 1 bk
-waterwalks (or tri-res boots but cant afford) (or shadowdancers if your ciclet has +29 to strength or more which then will make you hit 86% fhr breakpoint, otherwise you're at 62% fhr for the 48% breakpoint which is fine for assassins<unless you use bloodfist, then you're back to being at the 86% bp>)

cta/spirit switch

10x life/res sc's
9x trapper lifers
20/20 torch or close
20/20 anni or close

note: strategy for this setup is to use burst of speed with HOTO for the highest level possible, which will be high enough for max trap speed even if using sorb rings when cast. (similar to a long sword, a flail requires level 16 BoS with no other IAS to reach max trap lay speed)

GEAR for amazing resists
(approx 280 or more to all resists if you use fade <including anya's added res>)[102%fcr and likely 86% fhr]:

-Rare circlet (or a magic 2/20/2os)- +2 Assassin skills, 20fcr, with Str, Dex, Life, Mana and Resists - socketed with 7%fhr/str/dex/res/life/mana jewel)[if 2os type, the other socket you must put a 9strength etc jewel for 18 total]<figure it'll be at least +18 strength, possibly around 30>
-Wizardspike (with 15resist/20life jewel, OR more likely: 15 all resist/15%ias jewel)
-32% spirit monarch
-arach (when using wizardspike you may also switch this out in addition to magefist, if you want to use tgods or snowclash, or dungos etc, OR NOSFERATUS FOR 10% IAS)
-magefist(when using wizardspike you can switch this with bloodfist for 86% fhr bp if you want if not using shadowdancers, PLUS 10% IAS)
-bk ring x 2 or 1 soj and 1 bk (you can use dual ravens, dwarfs, or wisps or any combination as you please)
-waterwalks [tri-res boots too expensive](or shadowdancers if your ciclet has +29 to strength or more which then will make you hit 86% fhr breakpoint, otherwise you're at 62% fhr for the 48% breakpoint which is fine for assassins <unless you use bloodfist, then you're back to being at the 86% bp>)

cta/spirit switch

10x life/res sc's
9x trapper lifers
20/20 torch or close
20/20/10 anni or close

note: strategy for this setup is to use burst of speed with CTA for the highest level possible, which will be enough no matter what because you only need level 7 BoS with wizardspike for max trap laying speed. ALTERNATIVELY, use Fade instead of BoS, but with the IAS equip (bloodfist, nosferatu's and 15% ias jewel in wizzy) in order to reach 10 frames trap laying speed (almost the fastest). Also with nosferatus you can definitely use shadowdancers if you want but that would be overkill fhr because of bloodfists.

GEAR for leveling up (ondals adds +5% exp gained)<102% fcr bp hit and good enough FHR>:

-ONDALS (4 skills and 45% fcr, socketed with all res/15% ias jewel)
-Arach
-magefist
-bk ring x 2 or 1 soj and 1 bk or 2x soj because pvm
-waterwalks (or tri-res boots but cant afford) (or shadowdancers if your ciclet has +29 to strength or more)

notes: with shadowdancers, you'd have 37fhr... so need a 12fhr gc to be at 48% breakpoint. without shadowdancers, you'd have 7% fhr, so need 12% fhr gc for 15% fhr breakpoint.

OVERALL GEAR configuration choices summary ignoring ondals setup:

Unchanging items are as follows...
the circlet
maras
enigma
all charms except 1 12% fhr trap gc that can swap out a lifer when needed

gear that can change...
weapon --> either Spirit PB, HOTO, Wizardspike, or 6x fire facet PB
shield --> either Spirit monarch or Stormshield(ber)
gloves --> either magefist or bloodfist (could also use trang gloves when need extra cold resists)
belt --> either arach or nosferatus (or tgods or snowclash but would be bad-mannered combined w/ rings)<also maybe dungo's would be good or something with certain configuraitons>
boots --> either shadowdancers or waterwalks (don't need waterwalks really if have enough strength on circlet but you may prefer them for the life and such)
rings --> bk's, soj's, raven's, wisp's, dwarf's, or a 10%fcr ring with dex

Thanks for reading. Some additional notes would be:
-I don't think 174 fcr build is worth it.
-Claw/claw builds can be good but I think even more expensive and not my style.
-Very basic dueling strategy against casters mainly--> lay light trap or two, mindblast and namelock opponent, possibly lay more traps and possibly wake of fire for intense stun, mindblast enough to keep birdies on their head so things stun easier, use psychic hammer in combination with mindblast for superior stun, and finally, depending on situation, teleport next to them and fireblast them until they die, which is also good at keeping your opponent stunned. Use shadow master.

Feedback is appreciated but not required. The IAS calc I used is as follows and I believe it is accurate:
https://diablo3.***/diablo-2/calculatoren/angriffsgeschwindigkeit/?lang=en

Thanks
Gold: 175.01
Dec 7 2017 07:37pm
why mara's
Dec 7 2017 07:39pm
Quote (Worrywart @ Dec 7 2017 08:37pm)
why mara's

I know the circlet will blow my budget. Mara's is good. 30 all resists is amazing. 5 to all attributes helps. and +2 to ALL skills means your BO will be a higher level
Gold: 1,110.00
Dec 8 2017 04:59pm
Quote (The-Rising @ Dec 8 2017 01:39am)
I know the circlet will blow my budget. Mara's is good. 30 all resists is amazing. 5 to all attributes helps. and +2 to ALL skills means your BO will be a higher level

2/20/life or dex or st/20@ better ofc, but Budget is budget.
Most people have tryed a strong fb assa on other realms, They lack high enough mindblast level. Go for 6,5-7k fb / 10-11k ls with level 20 base mindblast and you got urself a stronger char.

2assa, 3ls, 3fb, 3other skill, 40ias 2 soc 10/10 runic would be a massive boost of dmg compared to 30/30pb but dno If fireblast can spawn together with ls
Gold: 175.01
Dec 8 2017 05:28pm
Quote (gel87 @ Dec 8 2017 06:59pm)
Most people have tryed a strong fb assa on other realms, They lack high enough mindblast level. Go for 6,5-7k fb / 10-11k ls with level 20 base mindblast and you got urself a stronger char.

2assa, 3ls, 3fb, 3other skill, 40ias 2 soc 10/10 runic would be a massive boost of dmg compared to 30/30pb but dno If fireblast can spawn together with ls

fireblast can't spawn on that

I've tried a fireblast sin and yeah, it is fun but it's an ass build that only works because trapper works
It's weaker in most matchups
Dec 8 2017 06:02pm
Quote (gel87 @ Dec 8 2017 05:59pm)

honestly I think mara's is pretty comparable to an awesome amulet like that if you only need 102 fcr.

i'm not sure why really high mindblast level is so important... i have some idea but I don't think you can hit that kind of fireblast damage or the amount I want with 20 points into mindblast

big part of the facets isn't just the +dmg but the - to enemy res!

And Worrywart you're probably right that other builds prob work better overall but it's all about how you play/duel and like you said, it's fun! I understand the key component is still lightning traps but the fireblast gives you the fllexibility of inflicting two different types of elemental damage.

p.s. It might take me a while to get a really really good circlet like I want and honestly shako is extremely hard to beat if you really think about it. For my main setup until I get a circlet I will probably use the following. (The circlet will be needed for optimal dr%/block build and mega resist build but this works well for general use:)
alternate main build:

-shako with 9strength/15 res jewel
-HOTO flail
--or 6x fire facet phaseblade! (65fcr bp reached)
-enigma dusk shroud
-32% spirit monarch
-Arach
-magefist
-bk ring x 2, or 1 soj and 1 bk
-treks
(use 1x 12% fhr trap gc while using this setup)
[112fcr,87fhr]

treks are a good idea to use against poison necros too.
Gold: 9,715.81
Dec 9 2017 07:18am
i thought about this some time ago but scrapped it

wouldve built with a 3x Shael, 3x RBF PB (to be able to use Fade instead of BoS) and Phoenix Monarch tho
Dec 9 2017 10:23am
Quote (memoism @ Dec 9 2017 08:18am)
i thought about this some time ago but scrapped it

wouldve built with a 3x Shael, 3x RBF PB (to be able to use Fade instead of BoS) and Phoenix Monarch tho

pretty sure you only need 45ias with phaseblade to get max trap laying speed so 3x shael would be overkill.

3x 15ias/15res jewels + 3x fire facets would be better but of course more expensive.

I looked at phoenix and the -28% to enemy fire res is nice but unless someone is sorbing you, it's really not worth it. honestly a jeweler's monarach of deflecting with 4x fire facets would be better I think if you really want to go that route. Spirit and stormshield are both just too awesome

Gold: 55.00
Dec 10 2017 02:26pm
The only benefits of w/s is 174fcr or mb vs zons/barbs.

Main setup should always be c/c
Dec 11 2017 05:07pm
Quote (Marshmello @ Dec 10 2017 03:26pm)
The only benefits of w/s is 174fcr or mb vs zons/barbs.

Main setup should always be c/c

maybe you are more or less right but to do claw/claw well is very expensive

the main advantages of c/c is more lightning sentry damage and the ability to block things other than just physical damage stuff

i care more about fireblast damage for this build and i know I can manage without the c/c weapon block

honestly c/c just isn't my style. w/s isnt as bad as you think depending on dueling style. i'm going to have more life than a c/c trapper for sure... my damage will be plenty, and i'm good on fcr/fhr/resists/dr so it's fine trust me i've done it and seen it done by other smart players too.

if you're crazy rich c/c trapper is better overall. But i want strong fireblast and i'm on a bit of a budget for now anyway

Thanks for reading
Go Back To Strategy & Guides Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll