d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Computer Building > Need A Laptop Pc > Gaming
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Dec 17 2017 11:00pm
Quote (WhoBut_WBMason @ Dec 17 2017 02:01am)

I like the laptop, but I am wondering about the lack of G-Sync for a laptop at that price.

This laptop https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MS7NSZ8/ref=psdcmw_13896615011_t3_B076CLPPQ4?th=1&psc=1 is cheaper, has incredible reviews, and has G-Sync.
Gold: 10,655.00
Gold: 92.71
Warn: 50%
Dec 18 2017 06:50am
Quote (Interesting @ Dec 18 2017 12:00am)
I like the laptop, but I am wondering about the lack of G-Sync for a laptop at that price.

This laptop https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MS7NSZ8/ref=psdcmw_13896615011_t3_B076CLPPQ4?th=1&psc=1 is cheaper, has incredible reviews, and has G-Sync.

Because it has the keyboard you wanted, both HDs are better

GPU will be a known brand (msi) and the quality overall will be bettef

Also the one you posted is fugly and massive

This post was edited by WhoBut_WBMason on Dec 18 2017 06:51am
Dec 18 2017 12:43pm
Quote (Ghot @ Dec 18 2017 06:49am)

I don’t know about a 4K laptop. Seems like significant fidelity-overkill for the screen size and, because of my budget, 1080s are out. I have thought about a similar Titan, https://m.newegg.com/products/9SIAAPK63U5726, which is 120Hz and G-Sync. It has no SSD though, so it’s 2200+ with one.

Quote (WhoBut_WBMason @ Dec 18 2017 12:50pm)
Because it has the keyboard you wanted, both HDs are better

GPU will be a known brand (msi) and the quality overall will be better.

Also the one you posted is fugly and massive

I do like the laptop, and you are right; I don’t know how much I want ADATA ram and SSDs, which is likely what a place like Eluktronics uses.

I don’t necessarily care about bulkiness. I wish I could just get a desktop, but we have no place to put it. I’ll be using this gaming laptop on the dining room table, and after I’m done playing I’ll have to put it away in a dresser. That’s legitimately the only moving of the laptop I’ll do and I don’t see myself hauling it around anywhere out of the house.

I also don’t have a significant use for large storage. A single 256GB SSD would be fine for me; I don’t even need the 1TB that most of these laptops come with.

I’m sorry that I am so damn finnicky. Every laptop seems to have a significantly larger host of potential issues to consider compared to a desktop. Heating and noise, lack of upgradability (I’ve applied my own thermals to desktops, but I have no faith in my own ability to do so in small, unisolated spaces of a laptops innards), screen quality and issues, etc. Gaming laptops seem to have problems more often than desktops.

I also haven’t used G-Sync or 120Hz before. With a 60Hz G-Sync display, part of me fears I’d be at a competitive disadvantage now. When I used to play League and some FPS titles like Quake Live years ago, I was ultra competitive. Now, I think everyone who plays those games at that level is rocking some 144Hz 1ms panel that’d provide advantage over a 60Hz panel.

With a 120Hz non-G-Sync panel, part of me fears that I won’t be able to push the FPS so I’d be experiencing significant stuttering, or that random FPS drops would drive me crazy. I’m pretty vulnerable to stuttering, although it might be better on a 120Hz panel as frames refresh each .008MS compared with the .016MS of 60Hz.

Currently, I like the MSI laptop you posted as well as maybe one of the Strix Scar laptops, like the one with 144Hz & G-Sync. I just don’t know about the quality of that device, and what kind of motion blur 144Hz with a 7-9MS response time panel would be.

Anyways, sorry I’m crazy, but thanks for giving advice.

This post was edited by Interesting on Dec 18 2017 12:47pm
Dec 18 2017 07:55pm
I went to Best Buy after work today and fooled around with the laptops a bit.

I did not like the Alienware at all - big, bulky, huge bezel that is angular so it distracts, bizarre keyboard.

I did not like the MSI Stealth Pro - I literally couldn’t type on it without my palm flickering the trackpad. I have small hands, too! The keyboard was so close to the trackpad.

I liked the MSI Apache Pro. Felt sturdy, keyboard was great. Was really weird feeling the heat on my hands just resting on the laptop - it wasn’t even playing any games! The trackpad on their floor model was broken, which is concerning.

I especially liked the ASUS ROG STRIX. Felt great, keyboard typed well, didn’t feel hot, looked good. Was a 120 Hz model - didn’t see any games played but I moved some windows around. I can see it’s appeal and use- at least in FPS games. As far as WoW or League, I don’t think 120Hz would be as great.

To be honest, I’m not completely sure anymore that I need a 120Hz panel, and if I don’t need a 120Hz panel, I don’t know if I’d need anything past a 1060. I’d like to keep it as an option though, but now I’ll check for just 60Hz G-Sync laptops and see what I can find. I think I’ve found all the 120Hz G-Sync ones there are.

This post was edited by Interesting on Dec 18 2017 07:57pm
Gold: 92.71
Warn: 50%
Dec 18 2017 08:32pm
Quote (Interesting @ Dec 18 2017 08:55pm)
I went to Best Buy after work today and fooled around with the laptops a bit.

I did not like the Alienware at all - big, bulky, huge bezel that is angular so it distracts, bizarre keyboard.

I did not like the MSI Stealth Pro - I literally couldn’t type on it without my palm flickering the trackpad. I have small hands, too! The keyboard was so close to the trackpad.

I liked the MSI Apache Pro. Felt sturdy, keyboard was great. Was really weird feeling the heat on my hands just resting on the laptop - it wasn’t even playing any games! The trackpad on their floor model was broken, which is concerning.

I especially liked the ASUS ROG STRIX. Felt great, keyboard typed well, didn’t feel hot, looked good. Was a 120 Hz model - didn’t see any games played but I moved some windows around. I can see it’s appeal and use- at least in FPS games. As far as WoW or League, I don’t think 120Hz would be as great.

To be honest, I’m not completely sure anymore that I need a 120Hz panel, and if I don’t need a 120Hz panel, I don’t know if I’d need anything past a 1060. I’d like to keep it as an option though, but now I’ll check for just 60Hz G-Sync laptops and see what I can find. I think I’ve found all the 120Hz G-Sync ones there are.

you dont need g sync @ 60 hz

https://www.sagernotebook.com/home.php

This post was edited by WhoBut_WBMason on Dec 18 2017 08:33pm
Dec 20 2017 11:05pm
Thank you for your suggestions. I’ll have to think about the options. I’ll report back when I feel confident in my selection.
Go Back To Computer Building Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll