d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Computer Building > Building First Pc
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Retired Moderator
Gold: 37,910.00
Trader: Trusted
Nov 27 2017 07:26pm
Hey all I was thinking of buying a pretty powerful laptop but for the price I'd like to see what my options are for a home pc. I'm also intrigued of building it too, I started piecing one together i want it to be pretty powerful but since I have no intent to game on it I don't want to drop tons of money on a machine that wont be utilized. Hope that makes sense. Thanks

Budget: Up to $2,000
More specific use (what games, what programs): Trading financial instruments, trading software for charting, scanning stuff like that. If you're not familiar with it, they can consume a lot of resources. Not looking for gaming
Planned time until purchase: Beginning of year
Do you need an Operating System?: Yes
Do you have any specific preferred components?: would like i7, & a ssd
Do you need a sound or wireless card?: Don't know a whole lot about sound cards, but will need wireless adapter.
Do you want stock cooling or do you plan on overclocking?: After some research would like water cooled
Do you need a monitor? mouse? keyboard?: 2 monitors, mouse and keyboard.
Zip code/location? (Shipping costs): 98682

Will you complete mail in rebates? - Havent done this before but sure.
If so, may we go over-budget if rebates bring you within budget? - sure
How much hard drive space do you want or need? - 500 GB will be more than enough
Will you use wireless or wired internet? - wireless
Will you overclock CPU and/or GPU? - I'm honestly not sure haha
Any special requests or useful things to tell us? (Specific case, need lots of storage, audio etc.) - need to be able to smoothly run 2 or more monitors

Do you prefer any specific colors for the build/computer case? - Black and yellow would be awesome honestly haha
Do you prefer a window on your case? - yes!
*(Please note how picky you will be with colors. Sometimes it's just not feasible to get some colors on certain parts)* - understood
Gold: 0.00
Nov 29 2017 02:52am
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Fzg8LD
Is still a bit under budget. I don't know anything about financial software, but I would guess it's not going to use graphics processing. However, if it's very heavily CPU dependent, I would look into Ryzen. For the same price as the i7, you could get twice the amount of cores and threads, assuming the software would be able to utilize them all.
Retired Moderator
Gold: 37,910.00
Trader: Trusted
Nov 29 2017 07:28am
Quote (zell1luk @ 29 Nov 2017 01:52)
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Fzg8LD
Is still a bit under budget. I don't know anything about financial software, but I would guess it's not going to use graphics processing. However, if it's very heavily CPU dependent, I would look into Ryzen. For the same price as the i7, you could get twice the amount of cores and threads, assuming the software would be able to utilize them all.

Thank you very much! I have this book marked!

I was looking at Ryzen vs Intel but I was slight hesitant since I never heard of them much before.
Go Back To Computer Building Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll