d2jsp Forums > Other Games > World of Warcraft > Classic Servers Announced
Prev15678Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Trade Moderator
Gold: 44,044.00
Trader: Trusted
Nov 25 2017 05:46am
Quote (Japrone @ Nov 25 2017 06:16am)
Didn't they allow you to swap items in combat back then too?
I remember warriors used to swap to shield/1h when they were low lol

Yeah weapons can be swaped in combat, but no other gear (armor, trinket etc)

This post was edited by Spetch on Nov 25 2017 05:46am
Gold: 5,989.00
Dec 5 2017 06:53pm
Quote (Spetch @ Nov 25 2017 03:46am)
Yeah weapons can be swaped in combat, but no other gear (armor, trinket etc)

there was a trinket you used to be able to vanish swap in raids on wipes if you hadn't already used vanish as a threat-drop to kill you that wouldn't inflict durability damage

fellow raiding rogues probably know what I am talking about ;)
Gold: 1,444.00
Dec 5 2017 07:50pm
classic wow - back when having an epic mount put you in the "Rich" category

:wallbash: = my journey to getting pally mount

This post was edited by Ibringdaruckus on Dec 5 2017 07:50pm
Gold: 0.00
Dec 15 2017 10:31pm
I’ll probablg end up playing a number of characters up to 20ish, and then settling on one to level all the way.

Thinking:

Enhancement Shaman
Affl Warlock
Shadow/Holy Priest
Feral Druid
Fury Warrior
Survivals Hunter
Fire Mage

Idk!
Gold: 2,489.69
Dec 20 2017 08:09pm
Quote (Interesting @ Dec 15 2017 10:31pm)
I’ll probablg end up playing a number of characters up to 20ish, and then settling on one to level all the way.

Thinking:

Enhancement Shaman
Affl Warlock
Shadow/Holy Priest
Feral Druid
Fury Warrior
Survivals Hunter
Fire Mage

Idk!

Feral druid my choice. Hots make lvling ez. I usually roll skin lw. Cat speeed then travel form gggg
Trade Moderator
Dec 21 2017 06:11am
Quote (Interesting @ Dec 16 2017 06:31am)

Thinking:

Enhancement Shaman
Affl Warlock
Shadow/Holy Priest
Feral Druid
Fury Warrior
Survivals Hunter
Fire Mage

Idk!

You wont really be able to raid with any of those classes in the early patches besides feral if you tank, fury warriors or lock. Unless you end up in a guild who doesnt care about fast progress.

Ench shamans have no spot in pve. Damn fun class in pvp if you have the economy for arcanite reaper in the start.

Shadow priest will be your choice to level but at 60 (if blizzard keeps vanilla vanilla) you wont be accepted into anything until they release 16 debuff slots which comes with zul gurub. Until then, you only have 8 slots for debuffs on Bosses and Shadow priest will occupy alot of these and can remove important things such as sunder, winters chill, curse of elements and recklessness etc.
And if you decide to go healing you'll be better of with disc for raiding as power infusion is a big deal for boosting casters dps on boss fights.

Feral druid for off tanking can be pretty cool but as soon as you decide to go dps you'll learn quickly that you are pretty much a bad rouge. Rouges will always be better for dps than feral and no, the 3% crit is not worth it. No point in discussing balance. I honestly believe that people that think its good have never played this version of the game.

Fury warriors is amazing. Just amazing. You will be top dps in pretty much all patches if you have the gear and can play well.

Survival Hunter is also something you wont see much. BM is amazing for leveling and MM for raiding. When it comes to Hunter pvp im quite clueless. I dont know how far you go into the survival tree to make it worth it but alot of points go into both mm and bm.

Fire mage wont be a thing until AQ. In zg you can have some fun with it but it isnt worth the respec cost as you are forced to either go deep frost for wc or arcane/frost for full dps in BWL and MC. you litterally wont do any dmg on most mobs in mc as they are either fire res caped or damn close to be.

Even for pvp (AB and AV) frost is just better due to your role to be a pain in the ass. Rank 1 blizzard, spinning flags with AE being able to iceblock to stall time. Holding x-roads.
I ranked 11 as a mage and it was the most fun class i ever pvp with. I went elemental spec a few times with Engineering to get some amazing burst AOE but still wasnt as useful as frost. Mage isnt about dps in bg.

Pom pyro is just a fun spec. The only time i see it useful is in WSG if you are set to catch the enemy EFC. Otherwise you want frost there aswell for flag running with a druid.

Gold: 413.69
Dec 21 2017 09:06am
Shadow priest stocked up on shadow resist gear to make all the lock spells fizzzle like back in the day.
Dec 21 2017 01:37pm
Quote (Spetch @ Dec 21 2017 12:11pm)
You wont really be able to raid with any of those classes in the early patches besides feral if you tank, fury warriors or lock. Unless you end up in a guild who doesnt care about fast progress.

Ench shamans have no spot in pve. Damn fun class in pvp if you have the economy for arcanite reaper in the start.

Shadow priest will be your choice to level but at 60 (if blizzard keeps vanilla vanilla) you wont be accepted into anything until they release 16 debuff slots which comes with zul gurub. Until then, you only have 8 slots for debuffs on Bosses and Shadow priest will occupy alot of these and can remove important things such as sunder, winters chill, curse of elements and recklessness etc.
And if you decide to go healing you'll be better of with disc for raiding as power infusion is a big deal for boosting casters dps on boss fights.

Feral druid for off tanking can be pretty cool but as soon as you decide to go dps you'll learn quickly that you are pretty much a bad rouge. Rouges will always be better for dps than feral and no, the 3% crit is not worth it. No point in discussing balance. I honestly believe that people that think its good have never played this version of the game.

Fury warriors is amazing. Just amazing. You will be top dps in pretty much all patches if you have the gear and can play well.

Survival Hunter is also something you wont see much. BM is amazing for leveling and MM for raiding. When it comes to Hunter pvp im quite clueless. I dont know how far you go into the survival tree to make it worth it but alot of points go into both mm and bm.

Fire mage wont be a thing until AQ. In zg you can have some fun with it but it isnt worth the respec cost as you are forced to either go deep frost for wc or arcane/frost for full dps in BWL and MC. you litterally wont do any dmg on most mobs in mc as they are either fire res caped or damn close to be.

Even for pvp (AB and AV) frost is just better due to your role to be a pain in the ass. Rank 1 blizzard, spinning flags with AE being able to iceblock to stall time. Holding x-roads.
I ranked 11 as a mage and it was the most fun class i ever pvp with. I went elemental spec a few times with Engineering to get some amazing burst AOE but still wasnt as useful as frost. Mage isnt about dps in bg.

Pom pyro is just a fun spec. The only time i see it useful is in WSG if you are set to catch the enemy EFC. Otherwise you want frost there aswell for flag running with a druid.

Any guild I’m with will probably be casual. I work a salaried job and am married now - a far cry from the free time I had when I played WoW years and years ago.
Trade Moderator
Dec 21 2017 01:55pm
Quote (Interesting @ Dec 21 2017 09:37pm)
Any guild I’m with will probably be casual. I work a salaried job and am married now - a far cry from the free time I had when I played WoW years and years ago.

Well important thing is to have fun, obviously. Unfortunately vanilla kind of removes that choice if you decide to go certain classes and specs :P
Dec 24 2017 11:48am
Quote (Japrone @ Nov 24 2017 09:16pm)
Didn't they allow you to swap items in combat back then too?
I remember warriors used to swap to shield/1h when they were low lol

Just weapons; a lot of the pro pvpers would just slow/outrange and kite within charge range or hunter deadzone and swap trinkets or maybe a pvp item like goblin rocket helm or gnomish death ray or something.

There's a million tricks people have probably forgotten about that make it a whole new ballgame. Totem stacking, purge having a longer range than charge, feral powershifting. I love Vanilla and have been playing private servers for 3 years or more.

As for raiding classes, there are plenty of guilds that allow meme specs and yolo builds, even in the private server scene. But it's no coincidence that they struggle a bit more than your meta-gamed cookie cutter raid comps.

Early on, until mid-to-late BWL when ZG gets patched, melee just shits on everything. Rogues and Warriors. You can YouTube stuff like NOPE and Dreamstate 25-minute MC/BWL clears and you'll see 16 Warriors and 6 Rogues out of 40 people.

Once casters have access to Bloodvine, trinkets, and offset gear acquired, and debuffs slots opened, casters roar back into contention, especially Warlocks.

Hunters fall off really hard after BWL but every guild still needs 2 or so for tranq shot on lile Huhuran. Ret is a joke but has it's niche utility and you're always going to find guilds giving Hand of Rag to their Rets, Shamans, and some Warriors. I have actually seen quite a few Feral Tanks tanking any boss imaginable, even hard-hitters like Broodlord Lashlayer, but not until their healers overgear the content.

Anyone looking to DPS or tank in raids should also take engineering. Widely considered a must for PvP, goblin sappers offer massive aoe damage and good threat generation.

Prebis is no joke. You can roll into MC with greens but you'll do damage some people do in Zul'farrak and you'll quickly learn there's a reason for prebis lists, optimal specs, blah blah blah. It's a lot different from now where diversity is huge and all classes have huge bags of tricks for healing, threat gen and drops, buff and raid utility, so on and so forth.

What I really love about vanilla is that it is a long con. It takes months or even years to get geared, and your investment in communal play pays it's dividends. Guild hoppers, raid loggers, slackers, loot whores, all are tagged and noted by every guild. The pro players know who is pro from the first Deadmines they run and beyond. Once you see a tank marking targets with proper priority and quickly, mindful of healer mana, you'll want guys like that every run.

It's the same in PvP too. PvP is skill-based, to an extent, but it's a long con. I hit rank 12 solo queuing on a max pop server (Elysium PvP) over a 3-month stretch where I played 5-6 hours a day and went doubly hard on BG holidays.

Spend your gold wisely and don't train every skill, crafting professions are good if you are mindful of what people want to purchase. Like every Horde player entering Ashenvale knows they need a Deadly Blunderbuss from an Engineer to get an early blue item available at level 22. Low level Engineers that make 200 of these have a quick 150g pre-30 and put themselves in a position to max train their class and have a mount and full 16 slot bags before they hit 40. Otherwise, take a gathering profession like herbalism and stockpile black lotus (bind on pickup) until it gets patched to be bind on equip. Say you have 25 or more, bam, you're rich. Otherwise you go alchemy and make flasks of you're fortunate enough to win a recipe.

There's a big problem with people needing on gear they don't need to sell. Entitlement is strong. Don't expect Stockade Pauldrons to be given to you as a Warrior when a mage in your group knows he can sell it for 1/5th of his epic mount total. Be wary and be friendly. Be communal and vocal. It pays off when those items drop. Trust me.

If anyone else has questions I'd love to answer, just threw out some random info for anyone still on board with the hype and eagerly waiting.

This post was edited by Anton24 on Dec 24 2017 12:03pm
Go Back To World of Warcraft Topic List
Prev15678Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll