d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Motor Sports & Cars > 2004 Chevy Classic Malibu Help Please
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 3.69
Nov 1 2017 05:33pm
Quote (fireball68 @ Nov 1 2017 06:28pm)
if your only getting 10 volts this is what's bad.
i had brand new alternator not work right out the box.
if your alternator is only kicking out 10 volts its got a bad voltage regulator.

On the back of the alt. theres a little box. It will say ground here to test this is for testing the regulator if you ground it and it stays the same the regulator is bad. either way the regulator is not that cheap so I would change the whole alt. just make sure its not a bad connection hope this helps.

Yes I will look at it but I tried 2 different alternators and a new battery with the same result hmm
Gold: 0.73
Nov 1 2017 05:41pm
Quote (sexycatsmeow @ Nov 1 2017 04:33pm)
Yes I will look at it but I tried 2 different alternators and a new battery with the same result hmm

cool
so there is only one thing on your entire car that make's power, that is the alternator.
a alternator is just a dumb motor that spins a coli of wire's to generate volts, the voltage regulator is the brain that tells it how much to make.
a alternator's normal output @ 2000 rpms is about 14.2 volts, your is 10-11 volts.... so the ''brain'' is not working.
good luck

This post was edited by fireball68 on Nov 1 2017 05:41pm
Nov 1 2017 08:36pm
Anymore suggestions
Gold: 484.02
Nov 1 2017 09:44pm
Yeah you can completely ignore my post that most likely has your answer in it.

This thread has been fun so far. I'm glad some new people stopped by to help but the voltage regulator didn't magically go bad after a starter replacement so I'll repeat myself.

Check your wiring connections at the starter. While you are there, check the fusible link between the starter and the alternator on the positive wire. Check the exciter wire going to the alternator. This is the wire from the ECM that tells the voltage regulator in the alternator to turn on.

If you have the same voltage on the positive post at the back of the alternator as you do on the battery the fusible link is fine.
If you have 5v on the exciter wire with the engine running the PCM is sending the signal for the alternator to charge (orange wire on alternator connector.)
If both of those things are correct, double check your battery and engine grounds.

Check ALL of our fuses related to the charging system as well.

If your grounds and fusible link are good with 5v on the orange wire when running the aftermarket alternator is bad. Buy an AC Delco off rock auto for the same price as the reman junk at the parts store.

When you have a problem pop up after a related system has a failure you need to look at what has changed. You replaced the starter which means you removed the negative battery cable and the starter wiring. The alternator charges through the starter. If the fusible link on the wire connecting the starter and alternator is bad you don't get a charge. If your battery and engine aren't grounded correctly you get no charge. If the exciter wire isn't telling the alternator to come on you get no charge.

Since it went from charging, to not charging at the same time as the starter going out I'd put my money on the fusible link. The starter motor coil could have went to ground and smoked the fusible link.
Nov 2 2017 05:42am
Quote (FMX_89 @ Nov 1 2017 10:44pm)
Yeah you can completely ignore my post that most likely has your answer in it.

This thread has been fun so far. I'm glad some new people stopped by to help but the voltage regulator didn't magically go bad after a starter replacement so I'll repeat myself.

Check your wiring connections at the starter. While you are there, check the fusible link between the starter and the alternator on the positive wire. Check the exciter wire going to the alternator. This is the wire from the ECM that tells the voltage regulator in the alternator to turn on.

If you have the same voltage on the positive post at the back of the alternator as you do on the battery the fusible link is fine.
If you have 5v on the exciter wire with the engine running the PCM is sending the signal for the alternator to charge (orange wire on alternator connector.)
If both of those things are correct, double check your battery and engine grounds.

Check ALL of our fuses related to the charging system as well.

If your grounds and fusible link are good with 5v on the orange wire when running the aftermarket alternator is bad. Buy an AC Delco off rock auto for the same price as the reman junk at the parts store.

When you have a problem pop up after a related system has a failure you need to look at what has changed. You replaced the starter which means you removed the negative battery cable and the starter wiring. The alternator charges through the starter. If the fusible link on the wire connecting the starter and alternator is bad you don't get a charge. If your battery and engine aren't grounded correctly you get no charge. If the exciter wire isn't telling the alternator to come on you get no charge.

Since it went from charging, to not charging at the same time as the starter going out I'd put my money on the fusible link. The starter motor coil could have went to ground and smoked the fusible link.

ok thank you for a reply i will check these things out. and ya i hear u on the aftermarket alternators theyre all junk so i did get an actual GM one.

today i will also run a wire straight from the alternator to the battery to see if it works like that before i dig into the starter
Gold: 1,363.36
Nov 2 2017 06:17am
You need 5v on the oj and 12v on the red/black one

If its ok order a new alternator and to be sure order 2 because those alternator sux
Gold: 279.52
Nov 3 2017 12:28pm
Quote (fireball68 @ Nov 1 2017 11:41pm)
cool
so there is only one thing on your entire car that make's power, that is the alternator.
a alternator is just a dumb motor that spins a coli of wire's to generate volts, the voltage regulator is the brain that tells it how much to make.
a alternator's normal output @ 2000 rpms is about 14.2 volts, your is 10-11 volts.... so the ''brain'' is not working.
good luck

Engines make power to bro

But he said he already tried 2 alternators and a battery
Gold: 23.20
Dec 10 2017 07:58am
Try taking it and getting it hooked up to a computer. Should tell u the problem.
Go Back To Motor Sports & Cars Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll