d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > User Blogs > Time To Fight V2.0
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic
Gold: 126,173.10
Oct 28 2017 03:31pm
the runback
ran into Gevo's laura again later. this time was a bit different. it ended up being a little laggy for the both of us at first, but i dont think that affected the outcome. i defended more intelligently this time as i had the read on him from our first set and perhaps he was overconfident from steam rolling me the first time. i used that to adapt back and defeat him this time around.
https://youtu.be/k8RhXV0UbmA
Oct 28 2017 03:35pm
THE RAGEQUIT!
this wasnt a big win or loss. but i managed to make someone rage quit when i was on the brink of double perfecting him. i dont think he was concerned about the 10 points i was going to get from him...he was probably just upset that he didnt get a chance to play...still, making someone ragequit is always funny.
https://youtu.be/zTIn071pA1E
Oct 28 2017 03:44pm
Confidence booster!
vs GO_DEEJAY's necalli. this hasnt been a demon of mine by any means. i believe in the past i usually beat him with him winning once in a while, and i have always been a rank higher than him. However winning this set in a convincing fashion is extremely important for me to be able to reach Master rank.
i should be able to outclass players in super diamond, rarely dropping a game, and ideally never a set. Being able to 2-0 super diamonds i think is the most important rather than merely winning the set 2-1. for winning 2-0 i gain +110 points, a significant boost in LP. where as winning 2-1 i only gain about +20. very insignificant, similar to 2-0ing a super platinum. it becomes a waste of an opportunity for large point gains. on top of that i need to win my sets vs other ultra diamond more often than not. 2-1 against another ultra is still decent point gains(65-80), especially if they are higher LP than me. also is a confidence booster that beating Ultras is a sign of Master level play(realistically the skill gap is actually not that significant, and is common for ultras to beat master. but to help gauge my current potential,i do believe in those basic concepts)

https://youtu.be/7U6lEaKVczg

Currently at 25691 LP. current high score. might continue for 26000.

This post was edited by nate321 on Oct 28 2017 03:46pm
Jan 16 2018 08:31pm
Ok let's do this.
Arcade Edition is out and Grand Master is a new rank so i have a new goal. 35000 LP
never did reach master as i got demotivated with bad playing habits(AGAIN....), so now i am going to try to rethink about how i train(AGAIN) and hopefully stick to it.
i need to do a limited amount of sets per day. Maybe 5-10? if they are challenging it will take a long time to analyze them all.
also i want to take these matches very slowly and carefully and watch all of my replays. each one has to really matter, win or loss! Slow and steady wins the race.
going to follow each match up with what i remember how it went, and then after watchnig the replays any details i missed.
Also included, possibly, will be battle lounge sets with competitive players. Maybe i will upload 1 set of my favorite set of the day. but also maybe not because it doenst popup and would get lost amongst the text.
Any matches vs a very low rank player that puts up not much of a fight,I won't count. If they at least win a round, I will probably count it.

anyways. starting with 24516 LP

Ranked matches
1. Gapehorn - Super Diamond Dictator.
1-0 (+65)
-he is very yolo. starts matches with slide and forward dash and always wakes up with his fastest move. i already knew this as I've played him before, so i was not caught off guard. Since i won fairly cleanly, he did not rematch me.

2. Crazy LCD - Ultra Diamond Cammy
0-2 (-110)
* i lost pretty bad. managed to win 1 round per match, but things didnt turn out well. i don't think i jumped at him enough as when i did go for the short dive kicks, he wasnt baited into AAing, so i probably could have gone for regular jumps.
I ended up throwing the last round in the last game because I was trying to dash in to activate my VT and kept running into his normals. Must have been way too obvious. I need to keep that in mind. Don't do obvious things!
The neutral i felt was pretty even. I got a good read on some of his normals. First round i lost because i was too finnicky on defense. I need to be more patient on defense.

From Replays:
Game1
-I tried to ia.EX DK without any meter.
-After she ended her block string 'st.LK, cr.LP, b+MP', I challenged with cr.LP which counterhit her walkforward+st.MP. I However did not try to confirm it into st.HP, instead did cr.MP which whiffed
-While in the corner, as soon as she gave me a bit of room I tried to do cr.HP xx VT. Being the slow button that it is, got stuffed her st.HP xx VT. When cornered I should be pressing much faster buttons.
-Her first jump was with j.MP and it beat my b+MP. I usually believe that b+MP wins, but she was far out and did it early (vs being on top and aiming for the head). This is a tactic that i forget to do against multiple characters. So simple and effective. Early j.mp!
-after my blockstring 'cr.LP, st.LP, cr.MP' I threw out a st.HP to catch her trying to press something. she instead delayed her st.HP more which whiff punished mine. I Should perhaps be pressing my buttons with a more educated guess, rather than "wish punishing"
+ After she gave me some space in the corner, I took the opportunity to EX dive kick at her which caught her walking forward. I reckon this option is only bad against high hitting crushcounter moves like Urien's chop and Necalli st.HK and i would get destroyed if i'm a bit unlucky.
-She whiffed her dive kick and i failed to confirm 2 jabs on the trip guard landing.
-Fishing too hard for cr.HP, a telegraphe forward walk cr.HP was pre-emptively whiff punished by cr.MK
-Failed to whiff punish a divekick right in my face
-got her cornered and as soon as my did a long range block string, she divekicked at me which i also fell for.
-tried to press cr.MP after blocking her st.MP. only on a real walk forward read should you press such a button. if you are merely challening it, it should always be with a jab.
-got air reset from my backdash, but then challenged with cr.MP. MUST BE JAB!!!!
+ I noticed when i -whiff- a st.MK, she presses cr.MK. So i followed it up with st.HP to auto whiff punish it.
-I don't think i was throwing her enough. Block string proved futile.
+I am backdashing away from her MPs. This works better than it does vs jabs. Don't let her keep pushing on you.
-not reacting to V-skill with cr.LP.
-pressing st.HP after she blocks st.MK. She was never doing anything after blocking that.
-3 times i tried to dash in with cr.MK xx VT and she stopped it every time. Too predictable.

Game2
-Challenged after a negative dive kick.
-cr.HP whiff punished by random cr.MK. Maybe this move isnt too good to use in the mirror, as she can convert off the whiff punish so well. A matchup like VS Guile, it might be strong as it stuffs alot of his buttons easily, and he doesnt get a big whiff punish on it.
-Reset out of my backdash, and got hit by the meaty AGAIN due to pressing cr.MP. BAD HABIT! USE CR.LP
-got hit by EX divekick when doing flowchart button presses. A very good strategy to a buttonsy player! will have to remember this.

Conclusion
*Overall I didn't feel too outplayed, but made lots of little mistakes that all add up. This could be a main reason why I lose the mirror match more often than not.
A big mistake was pressing slow buttons in disadvantage situations. This will forever be a killer if i don't stop that.
The other big one was predictable VT activations. I need to be sneakier. Perhaps use st.HP more like he did!
Perhaps his game is a bit sharper than mine. Need to build more intent on my button presses!

3. YanDerek - Super Diamond Kolin
2-1 (+61)
*This match was really close. She had a good corner escape with EX vanity step that i will have to be ready for next time. I remember now that i am not totally familiar with her blockstrings. I will have to go over them, again. I won the final round with 50/50s in the corner. I had a feeling she was going to be brave with EX counter, so i went for 2 throws in a row. That then sold her on the possibility that i might just keep throwing her, so then I meatied her twice in a row for the stun and kill. Reads/Luck, whatever it was it got me the win. Neutral is a bit stressful because she has some annoying buttons and V-Skill(that got nerfed apparently? i will have to check it out). I had an okay ground game with some good conversions, but i did resort to going to the air a bit to keep her on her toes. got away with practically all my jumps.

From Replays:
Game 1
+After getting away from her, i walked back into neutral range, and then out of it, in which she tried to dash forwad and press cr.MP that i whiff punished with st.HP xx SA. This is similar to how Tokido would bait Punk's V-Skill in neutral, except he backdashed)
+Noticed she was buttonsy while trying to fight out of the corner, so i used the chance to jump in on her successfully.
-As soon as she gained a bit of space, she activated VT(not sure why, yet, as it didnt convert), but she then hit me with st.HP canceled into EX vanity step to cross up LK follow up. The attempt in theory should be obvious but i am also still not totally familiar with her options. This will be one to remember. Also check cr.MP xx VT2 advantage.
-as soon as she gave me space while i was cornered, I pressed cr.HP which got stuffed by st.MP xx hands. Same problem as before(in my defense i did both games before writing then, so no chance to learn, yet). This stunned me and killed me
+after whiffing st.MK, I automatically did a st.HP wishpunish, which she dashed into. Perhaps people feel the need to act after seeing whiffed st.MK.
-After landing that i went for meaty cr.LP, which she did Middle EX Counter. I wasn't about to count this because it was merely a read error, but it turns out this move actually flips you to the other side, putting me in the corner. This move i will have to be extra wary of when she is near the corner as it's a big role reversaling defensive option.
-i cornered myself with a V-skill. I think I just misjudged which side my j.LK was going to. This made me want to use an EX bar, to hopefully continue to mess with her. but this does not put me on the other side, and at disadvantage if blocked high. 2 mistakes. cornered myself and wasted a bar.
-She canceled into EX Vanity step and i reacted kind of late for trying to get away. Knocked out of the air by her j.HK. In this case i did retaliate with cr.LP, but her meaty cr.MP was on point.
*Note. Her forward dash seems to be come a running/skating dasing in VT2.
*cr.LK>st.HP a target combo? it caught me out of my backdash, but i reset in time to punish the st.HP
+After blocking a cr.MP, I back dashed away, causing her st.MK to whiff.
+st.MK whiff > st.HP whiff punish. this seems to be a working trend.
-cr.LP tick throw whiffed. This may be due to the new pushback implemented in AE. This caused me to get back thrown into the corner. Perhaps a the game changing situation?
-right after back throw, i blocked her st.hK and tried to V-Reversal it. The way her hurtbox retracts back caused it to whiff, in which she punished. Perhaps this is a real bait? Either way, be wary of it.
-When i did get out of the corner with another V-Reversal, she then did her jumping d+MK attack causing my AA DP to whiff and her go right over me in safety. Find an answer to this.
-delay cr.HP got stuffed after tech throw by delay st.MP. perhaps i need to think about how i use st.HP more. may have just been badluck. hard to say.

Game 2
+Dashed in after he st.HK successfully.
+Blocked cr.MP, st.MK(3frame trap, then -2). She then walked forward with cr.MP again, but i then backdashed and instantly did cr.MK. This whiff punished her walking forward and trying to delay frame trap with another cr.MP. This is interseting to me, because its a strategy that i commonly use. A good defensive mixup.
-She read my st.MK after whiffing a st.HK and countered it with V-Skill. i am unaware if i did that pattern earlier.
-i canceled my st.MP, cr.MK block string into MP hooligan, putting myself on the corner. she AA'd it earlier and she did it again. All around bad idea. Note to improve: shouldnt need to block string into cr.MK on autopilot. learn to confirm. very possible!
-Blocked st.MK, st.HK tc xx V-Skill xx VT2. Now i don't know what VT2 entails, yet, but she made her TC safe with it. Perhaps thats a good time to V-Reversal to avoid her popping VT in the future. (Although i did not have any gauge)
+whiff punished her cr.MK with st.HP. Perhaps her Hurtbox on it is terrible, just like cammy's. good note to remind yourself of.
note: she does cr.MP, st.MK string so that she can convert into TC. good to be aware of why she is doing it.
+ EX divekicked out of the corner when she gave me space from block stringing into hands.(st.MP, st.MP xx Hands)
-b+MP lost to her j.HK... dunno what to do here...LK DP can lose, too, and she was above my head. perhaps i just need to EX DP. or a well timed MK DP.
-she did st.HP xx EX vanity step again, which caught me out of my jump with j.LK. I need to recognize this situation quicker when i see her st.HP. This reset allowed her to get a 50/50 under me.
note: she can cancel out of her TC xx VS into xx VT attack.
-She then KO'd me with VT2 Dash xx cr.LK. This may be similar concept to Ken..will have to be warey of her versatility options.
-She did st.HK whiff into V-Skill again. It caught me walking. perhaps a technique i should have been more aware of as she had displayed it earlier.
-She did backthrow into st.HK again. this time i just got hit by it, probably trying to back dash...should be more patient here.
-I counter hit her after blocking my light normal once, but she did it again when i tried to mix it up.
+i was able to react in time to her Vanity step and hit her on the way down when she went low.
+Hooligan'd her for the kill when she hadn't seen it yet.

Game 3
-Not challenging at all after her blocked st.MK and hands. Show her that you are willing to challenge it, in hopes to bait a counter later.
-She does st.MP, st.MP some times. You should be able to make the 2nd whiff and punish it
+Challenged after her hands with cr.HP, which caught her walking forward, and also works well for all the normals she would delay after it.
-Got hit by EX Vanity step again after blocking st.HP. She got away with this, way too much. 3-4 exactly the same scenarios.
-EX vanity step combo can reset with cr.MP to thorw mixup
-got hit by dash forward cr.MK xx VT2
-blocked VT2 attack on a bad confirm and had what looks like a bad punish. CHECK!
-tick threw into forward throw, where backthrow might have killed with its new damage buff.
-not back dashing away from her cr.MP enough on first instance.
+baited a V-Skill trying to blow up ia.DK with a delay DK. However, doenst lead to frame advantage when both whiff
+++ was aware of her EX counter in a panicy situation for her. To not get cornerd via it!

From Training Mode:
-Kolin's cr.MP, st.MK block string is a 3 frame trap and leaves her at -2. She uses it to try to confirm into st.MK x st.HP x VS Target combo. Although it is -2, it leaves her at a distance where my cr.MP and st.MP buttons, used for counter hit confirming, whiff. This forces me to use st.HP as my best option if i want to challenge. st.HP is fast enough to beat any button she presses, but can still be countered by V-Skill or Counter. On top of that it would require 1 button confirm to convert from, which is not impossible, but a skill i havnt refined, yet.
-I learned that the st.HK button she was using alot is actually B+HK(-2 on block). After back throw, this is her go to meaty that will Crush Counter. There is no point to V-Reversaling this move unless i am cornered, which it is important to be ready for it and V-Reversal ASAP, as a late one will whiff right in front of her as she retracts.
-Dealing with her j.d+MK corner escape. The safest scenario would be to jump back LP to cover both her options. The greedy, big punish solution would be, while ready for it, to back dash and get a full grounded punish
-VT2 Attack is punishable with st.MP, st.HP, or Lift Upper TC. (-11)
-st.MP, st.MP is a whiff punishable blockstring from further range, walk back and press st.HP buffer.

Conclusion:
I still don't have a full understanding of Kolin. This reminded me of some things and taught me new things. Big problem was dealing with EX vanity step off st.HP block. This led to alot of her pressure and damage, that i just cant allow her to keep doing. i need to react quicker and with a quicker jab. i dont have to get alot of damage, because she is already wasting a bar. Back dash could be another option. This match panned out for me this time, but Kolin has always been a thorn in my side. I will have to master this matchup. There is a good Kolin in oregon i can spare online with, as well as a cammy player there with good exp in the matchup that i can copy. Maybe i will do that later tonight.

This post was edited by nate321 on Jan 16 2018 08:33pm
Jan 16 2018 08:32pm
4. CoachiPeru - Super Diamond Laura
2-1 (+61)
*Laura. My once least favourite chacter in the game, buffed in AE, only now 2nd least favorite next to Abigail, also buffed in AE. i can tell you it takes alot of will power to play this game with that sort of adversity. On top of that, this match was kind of laggy. This is due to the fact that i believe this guy lives in Utah and i live in BC.
Anyways, I barely lost the first game. i lost because i tried to meaty throw and lost to wakeup jab. i want to blame lag, but thats always a risk. If i were a better player, it wouldnt have been that close of a game. He caught me back dashing early on with a frame trap st.HP. This usually gets me 10x per match, but this slow pace training allowed me to keep my mind a bit clearer, in which i didnt do it again. He caught me with some loopable command grabs for sure, but i made sure to not quick rise in order to throw off his rhythm. It worked well as he would then just resort to another meaty and i was able to V-Reversal away. I made a wrong defensive DP decision in the first round, because he didnt actually try to mix me up. perhaps i need to react to the mixup attempt first before DPing. After he won the first game with wake up jab, he thought he could keep doing it, so from there i made sure to land all my meaties which definitely melted him, quickly. i won the 2nd game decisively, and i believe the 3rd game went similarly. I was able to use my dive kick at opportune times to catch him trying something. I also made sure to challenge is AA capabilities. This should be done at some point in every match. If they are focused on the ground, even the best players in the world sometimes arn't ready for it. A very real option that i need to view as an actual strategy element, more than a braindead/luck concept. I also made sure not to be too cowardly in neutral in order to implement that. I backed off as first like usual to see if they yolo in, and then simple did a little bit of st.MK pesturing. We need to remind ourselves that neutral poking is a tool to create an opening for us to get real pressure started some how. not to actually have games won on footsies. Another piece of self control i had, was being wary of her st.MK after a throw tech. I've definitely had a bad history of that hitting me alot, as i press a slower button such as st.MK

From Replays:
Game 1
-After walking away from a light string, perhaps be ready to whiff punish st.MK or whatever followup button they do.
-ran into buffered st.HP
-backdash got counter hit by st.LP, st.HP string.
-wakeup jab after the CC got CH by st.LK, cr.MP xx EX clap, reset with st.HP into a walk forward throw attempt. he didnt cancel it and I EX DP'd nothing. Perhaps i can react to the cancel in the future.
-after a stun HP Bolt charge ender, she did dash up throw. I dont remember the advantage situation, but she followed it up with f.dash > command throw. Test to see if this can be defended with delay jab.
+ after getting hit by LP bolt charge, i did not backdash, and she went for the st.HP(-2) counter to that as well. i learned from before and stayed safe here.
-i back dashed away after blocking her st.HP. i should have challenged back.
note: as backdashing from strings becomes more popular in matchups even without command throws, these kinds of call outs will become more important.
-after blocking a st.MP, she pushed herself fairly far away. this made me feel safe, which she took advantage of and caught me with EX command grab(moves forward). perhaps, as usual, i should be back dashing after such a blocked normal.
+i delayed rise, and was able to v-reversal away.
-i wasnt reacting to her claps with EX drill from afar, or challening her st.HP xx EX clap strings.
-i keep trying to backdash after EX clap, but taht will get me CC'd just like after jab. It needs to be done after the st.HP and before the EX clap.
*lol she ran into my cr.HP xx VT activation, but the new scaling saved her.
-alas, lost to wakeup jab in the corner when i tried to throw, the new active frame doesnt help if i dont throw it out early enough :P

Game 2
-i tried to auto pilot a cr.MP, cr.MK stirng that he interupted with st.LK. he did this twice. need to confirm better.
+showed him my meaties for quick round as well as mixed it up with a delayed cr.MP in the middle
+made it look like i was going to try to play footsies with a few st.MKs, then threw in EX Dive kick to get the party started.
+after blocking her LP Elbow, i walked back and punished her delay throw tech.(although did not convert because i wasnt actually looking for it....)
-used f.throw when back would have stunned.
+Dive kicked my way out of the corner. success rate on this is insane.
note; won this game pretty convincigly, so not too big of an error list

Game 3
-gave up the momentum to the same block string he challenged last game. After a bit of patient blocking, he dashed up command throw. i should have been more ready for that as there is not much else to look for once they have pushed themselves away.
-successfully defended the fake throw loop with delay jab
-did too shallow of a high dive kick, leaving me punishable.
-got hit by cr.LK, cr.LP trying to walk away from bolt charge. walking away on hit doesnt accomplish anything, dont do it.
-he canceled the cr.LP in V-Skill dash and command threw me. hard to be ready for that, but perhaps remembering he can do that will be important so i can delay jab if i think he might try it.
-still letting him clap from mid screen. not a big deal as they are short ones so he cant follow them in. maybe he is trying to bait a late reaction from me.
-whiffed EX dive kick. i had a big life deficit so i had to make a move, but it was not a clean one.
+was able to get something started when his lack of patience brought him in. He didn't convert off my whiffed dive kick very well, so perhaps that frustrated him or gave him a sense of moment. either way, he dashed in and had me block a LP bolt charge. I used the advantage to block string and land a cr.HP into VT.
+showed him my st.HK throw bait crush counter card in this final game to secure the comeback and first round. an effective time to draw it.
+hoping he had a sense of impatience or frustration, i buffered st.MK hoping he'd run into it, and did.
-he did another simple st.LK, st.MP block string and then f.dash > command throw. i will need to be more ready for these when he creates a gap, and assume he wants to keep the pressure. resorting to backdash automatically to gain extra space is not a bad idea to regularly do here.
-jumped in with st.HK but traded with his clap. jumping in with st.MP here might have ensured you a clean hit
+altho it worked out, he was unable to find a good way to activate his VT in the end of the round. i was playing a bit elusive, but that isnt what ihad in mind, when it absolultely should have been. i should have been thinking more about "what does he have to or want to do to make a comeback". i need to remember to analyze that at the end of rounds.

Conclusion:
I was fairly comfortable in this set. outside of a couple rounds i felt i was in most of the control. He wasn't too crazy with the set ups, so that helped me, too. Or maybe that's just Laura's 3 bar VT kickin in, that she didnt have the chance to rock it as easliy as she usually does. hmmm
My defense vs laura is still not very clean. i need to be more hyper aware of the buttons she is pressing and wants to press. The big one is stopping her from canceling into EX clap block pressure after st.HP. i have 2 ways to avoid it and always forget to.

Training mode:
HP Bolt charge > f.Dash > CMD Throw
-a delay jab does not work here, but reacting with a reversal jab does.

5. Fchampryan - Master Dhalsim
2-0 (+290)
*a pretty big win. Dhalsim used to be a matchup i was hopeless in, but i studied it a fair bit and since then have beaten practically every dhalsim since. Despite the 2-0, they were kind of close games. he won a round each time. A big thing i made sure to do was shut down his ia.Gale+throwtech that he is kind of famous for. I did that by using st.HK instead of shimmy for throw baits. He was also testing out his new VT2. it seems to be some floating fireball that bounces up n down and at one point it just sat there...so not sure how that works, yet. Another nice thing i was able to do, was block a normal or hit, and use his negative advantage to throw out a st.HP buffered into SA to catch his next button. It's tech i know but not always easy to land. Glad to see it show up for me here. I also got baited by a fireball set up that looks like i can wake up and SA him, but he recovers in time. i fell for it the first time, but not the second.

From Replays:
Game 1
-Something I don't do enough that i know about, is after Dhalsim pushes himself away, he wants to dive kick back in. I can bait that with a neutral jump. Taking that tool away from him would be huge in what mediocre pressure already has.
-After air gale, it seems he can safely throw a LP Fireball. I got baited the first time. He does it again after a MP yoga flame but i dont challenge.
-didnt do optimal combo ender for stun

Game 2
+instead of challenging his V-Skill float with DP that can be baited by a teleport, i did so with st.HK which successfully CC'd him out of the air. I failed to follow up, though because i was unfamiliar with the situation.
+i seemed to be jumping quite often when i recover from the air. Although this is a fairly autopilot response, it seemed to work well against him as he would throw out a heavy button that was a bit too slow to stop me from doing it, allowing me a way in multiple times through both games. Perhaps paying attention to their actions after air resets will be important.
+He seemd to try to use his VT2 as a bouncing wall they he would float behind. being full screen away, its very slow moving that i didnt really have to be worried about it. I basically waited until he got closer and whiffed a gale behind it to do EX Drill right through both and knock him out of the air.
+He got in and i challenged his string with EX DP. something i havent done yet.
+after blocking a st.MK, i threw out st.HP buffered into SA that whiff punished his next st.MK
+i did my hooligan okidok which corners myself...usually not great but this time i payed off, making his AA jab whiff and me hitting and EX drilling my way back out of the corner.
- tried to walk forward st.MP for more damage to kill but doesnt work after st.HP activation, FOOL!
~tried to whiff punish his st.HK with VT drill...i guess it was late but worked out because it CH him.
+Far range LK drill is another option you can use after blocking his normals. it has so many active frames that it doesnt matter wtf he presses after. far range can be fairly safe from dhalsim.
+after knocking him out of the air with a st.MK, i went for dive kick. this whiff punished his autopilot st.MK on recovery
+when he escaped the corner i chased down his teleport on reaction with EX SA.

Conclusion:
-it was probably a rusty fchamp, but im not going to take anything away from myself. It's definitely a matchup ive been doing better in this last half year, and i havnt been playing much this last half year either. I felt aware of all of his options at most times, and had my answers ready. I am not totally sure if i had any big flaws in that match, as when you win its harder to diagnose. He did win 2 rounds however so there definitely was some mistakes. I Suppose it would be to neutral jump dive kicks and EX drill through fireball strings more.

This took a few hours just to do 5 sets. I didn't dive into my first one because there wasnt much to it. My main goal is to do at least 5 of these a day, up to 10. I am not totally sure if this will be 100% of my ranked done like this or not, but atm i am considering it to be that way, and any other practice will come from battle lounge sets.

Ending LP: 24883 (+367) Ideally i'd like +250 a day, but i'm not going to cling to that of course. If i get too clingly about points, it just makes it that much harder to stay on track when i lose them. Almost got my Ultra Diamond back! :P

This post was edited by nate321 on Jan 16 2018 08:32pm
Jan 17 2018 11:22pm
Day 2! Starting 24883 LP

6. shazzy - Grand Master Guile
1-2 (+35)
*rankings in this game are so bad....he is 3 leagues above me and its the same point battle as if im fighting sometimes 1-2 leagues above me...anyways this match made me salty. Guile is a matchup i never enjoy, and fighting this man is always a bunch of gambles. But he is regularly getting the best of me and i only seem to win once in a while...I DEFINITELY almost had this set in the bag, but i went too instinctual and slipped up alot. Too many obvious moves, too, when he had down charge. He is very good at booming when i walk forward. I hope to learn alot from this set. I must learn enough that i will defeat him next time for sure. Some mistakes...I was doing some button baiting attempts that i do on the Guile i train with, but he didn't fall for it once. I should have adapted and tried something else after the first time, but I kept doing the same thing. Wasting precious frames and maknig myself vulnerable.
note: losing with this learning technique is very interseting. i get WAY more salty...because I am forcing myself do to this between sets. Usually you just want to jump back in and get a win to feel good again, but no...this way the salt just broods. However since the downtime is mandatory, I believe and I can fuel my learning with the salt to make sure this doesn't happen again. Some actual things I can recall doing wrong. In my set point round i spend way too much meter in panicking which lost me the round and fucked me for the final round.

From Replay:
Game 1
+ Challenged his first V-Skill with my own to get the corner carry
- His second V-Skill was a bait that i tried to dive kick over and lost the corner.
- did cr.LP, st.LP, cr.MP block string. the cr.MP hit, but i did not convert.
- tried to go for CC st.HK when i had no previous information to make me think that would work.
- did it again. he seems to challenge with cr.LP alot
- did a dive kick when he had obvious down charge.
- after landing CH st.HK, i got hit by his sweep. Use these hits to EX dive kick in, as people usually try to retaliate with something after being hit.

Game 2
- on reaction tried to jump dive kick over a V-Skill. This will probably never work..
- got hit by LK FK after st.LK. I need to either do a tight block string or bait it..
- after CH him with cr.HP, he swept again, also hitting me. He seems to press buttons after being hit, not blocking like some other guiles. ANALYZE THE PLAYER, BETTER.
- after blocking a boom, he did dash up throw. this is not real and should be more aware and ready for that option.
- after forcing him to block V-Skill, he DPs. i need bait or continue pressure with jab to stuff him.
+once again after hitting him, he did sweep. my jump over punished him.
- failed trying to bait moves after he blocked my normals. used my button spamming to jump out. Try dashing in more.
- tried neutral jump oki on his wakeup. this never works against guile.
+ baited FK with jump over. do this more!
-hit by another dash up throw. be ready for these!
- let him out of the corner again. he seems to be semi passive fighting out of the corner. we will need to make him pay for that next time.

Game 3
-did a late reaction V-skill to his double boom. got FK'd
+He basically fucked up on offense and i reversaled the game. perhaps we can make up a game plan to bait guile into going offense...
-did EX drill on a combo, nulling our corner carry and wasting precious meter.
-did wakeup DP when we had plenty of life to spare
-did cr.MP, st MK string. useless. our cr.MP CH and could have converted.
-seems willing to do EX boom after blocking a st.MK, previously we beat that with a follow up cr.MK.
-EX boom hit > V-Skill boom is a bait set up for our EX Drill.
-V-SKill seems to be baiting us to dive kick. stop.
+stuff his dash up, but did not confirm

Conclusion:
My game plan it too bullheaded. I need to waste more time blocking booms and moving in and out of ranges. I can't keep pushing forward all the time. Think about it like how you fight Dhalsim. Mess around a bit, make him try to do something else other than throw booms. If he throws booms for 40 seconds straight, 1 jump in will still give you the life lead. I also need to analyze peoples tendencies more when i connect my buttons. it will be key to opening them up in later rounds.

7. crizzle510 - Diamond Cammy
2-1 (+16)
*dang another match that didn't go very smoothly. This contunies my streaking troubles in the mirror match. Things that went right for me.....uhh i didnt get mixed up with air attacks on offense or defense. My normal offense was fine. Things that went wrong for me..I made a couple bad DP bets. He caught me jumping back twice with VT drill..i was legit the only cammy i ever saw doing that and it was finally done against me, and i wasn't ready for it. I will have to remember that, and to bait it i can come down with an attack of some sort. There was obviously buttloads of things that didnt go right, including not AAing him. Something cool that i did was my delay LP Hooligan+Throw tech. it got me out of his V-Skill mixup in the corner and actually punished him for it and won me the round. anyones i am interested into diving into the replays to see how i lost all my life...OH ANOTHER BIG MISTAKE....the game i lost....final round...i dropped my super >_> ...came out as another drill. fk'n hate that. just out a new lever in m stick as well, so its not the sticks fault...*sigh* ill just cry about it, i guess.

Game 1
- didnt DP early jump in
- challenged on a bad dive kick of mine
- didn't try to bait cr.HP xx VT.
- DP attempt after activation. No real read on the situation, just a bad guess. stop guessing.
- Didn't AA and got thrown after. He did a double jump from far away. a good answer to that would have been to jump at him as well after the first one.
- Pressing slow buttons in tight close quarters situations. Fastest button wins. Need to make that more instinctual.
- did dash up and tried to AA with b+MP. this move is nerfed. we still have to go back to DPing everything like we used to. We lost the round for this, basically.
- Dropped super. Input was fine, but perhaps did the inputs too early. not sure.
- Frustratingly jumped at him, basically quitting. need to learn to not give up no matter what.

Game 2
+ starting challenging his b+MP AA nerf.
-got CH trying to press cr.MP after an air reset. still didnt fix this. learning slow, i am!
+ Back dash after his VT activation...got away from his f+HK, but this could have potentially lose to dive kick.
+ Challenged with wakeup jab in a non-flow chart situation.
- Almost lost the round to a st.HK CC throw bait. got lucky that it whiffed and i threw him with a later tech.
- After an activation, he got dash up and back threw me into the corner. i need to be ready for that
+ my hooigan tech won me the round! it was executed properly, as well.
- got hit by 50/50. Rather than guessing a side then trying to react late. try to hold neutral then pick a side on reaction.
- tryin forward jumping as a cross up when they activate. the might not be ready for an offensive approach.
- pressing slow buttons with no real intent. a cr.LP can break through the cr.LP, st.MP string that hit you.
-Challenge really bad dive kciks with jab jab instead of counter hit confirm. sometimes you are punishing it then dropping the combo thinking they were safe but just negative.
+reacted to dash dash in a tense situation

Conclusion:
i need to resort to AA DP from not on for most scenarios. the nerf to B+MP is killing me. I need to hold a neutral stick then pick a side on reaction when trying to block a 50/50. Dont throw tech when they need a comeback and have the tools to make it happen, unless you are conciously making the read to do it.. Be wary of VT drill catching your backjump. start punishng bad dive kicks rather than thinking they are just negative. LEARN TO NEVER GIVE UP!!! so many big errors going on here. so much to work on....also stop pressing cr.MP on air resets. press fast buttons when up close. i wasn;t getting outplayed, im just failing at some seriously fundamental concepts.

8. YanDerek - Super Diamond Kolin
2-1 (+61)
*no clean matches for me today, yet. Each on is a battle and thats okay, because as long as I'm losing, I am learning. These tough battles today are what will help me clutch out Master and Grand Master in the future. At least this one gave me an actual win's worth of points. For the most part i just tried to play unpredictable and it worked. I got a convincing first game. The second game i cant actually remember what happened....i think i lost pretty bad, though. so hard to remember. This is why we got replays. He hit me with some new VT2 setups in the first game, tho, that i will get to go learn about. It's really mostly all a blurr at the moment, tho. nothing for me to do besides go check the replays. Hopefully i can come up with a stronger conclusion afterwords.

Game 1
-not enough intent behind your buttos. you block string into cr.MP and leave it regardless of hit/block. press with more intent, and confirm them!
-NEW SETUP. ST.HP xx VT2 > st.HP xx EX hands Launch into MP ice orb > VT DASH THROUGH - Causes cross over orb hit. Pretty cool, prety strong. He followed up with another EX hands into vanity step sweep>VT Dash which crossed over again, but was negative so i mashed jab successfully.
+Dashed away from his first cr.MP.....but dashed back into another one,
-got cornered by EX counter.
+backdashing can be a good way to mess up his VT2 dash assaults.
-doubted your b+MP and got no AA at all.
-He escaped my jump in with vanity step that caused him to make the comeback.

Game 2
-bad AA against j.HK. use DP
- not challening after blocked st.MK-
-bad dive kick got punished.
-overall bad frame data usage.
-whiffed VT combo, need to use cr.MK instead of st.HP
-no confirm on low, jab.
-not punishing V-Skill due to whiffing cr.MP, at least use st.HP
-he read my cr.MK with V-Skill
-EX DP'd after blocking st.MK. this was your biggest mistake. no reason to DP here at all.
-whiffed cr.HP trying to activate and got punished

Game 3
- didnt whiff punish VS
- strining crMP into st.MK. this wastes any counterhit you get from cr.MP
- need to expect LOW attack when he has VT2 activated

conclusion:
this was very close because i played very sloppy. i wasnt punishing any V-Skills, and dropping some times. on top of that i am not utilizing frame advantages. need to recognize the st.MK as -2 especially.
if i do those 2 things, it wouldnt have been as close. also i need to find an OS for vanity step. probably just SA or DP is fine..

24995. At least a couple more matches to go.

This post was edited by nate321 on Jan 17 2018 11:33pm
Jan 18 2018 02:37am
9. CrazyLCD - Ultra Diamond Cammy
2-1 (+159)
*finally scored a big win for the day! I played this guy yesterday and i lost 0-2. He beat me the first game and that kicked in some big reminders for myself. The first one was BE PATIENT. dont try to dash in on this guy. not that he reacts to it but i seem to run into all of his shit. After eating that first loss i decided to chill back abit. I also figured out a strong tool for the mirror match, and that is cr.MP as a whiff punish button. randomly throwing it out is great for catching cr.MK as well as stuffing dash ins you werent ready for. it feels like a safe wall where the onus is on the other guy to not run into it. also its a faster button, so i am not lingering vulnerably to dive kicks and the such for very long. also keeping my frame traps 3 frame tight to stop them from getting cheap pressure reversals. iirc i was able to hit some imporant EX dive kicks when he was pressing buttons in neutral. I also let him out of the corner once with his VR. need to be more wary. overall i am very happy about being able to beat him today. It's my first hint that this learning technique may be high tier. ALSO HE'S GOT A TON OF POINTS NOW, THO +3000 from yesterday. he's been grinding. i'll get there one day soon, but at my own pace. I am slowly doing better at this mirror match. Hopefully i can keep it up. Also i made it back into Ultra Diamond!!. Master here we come! (as long as we don't lose it right away...aheh.....ehh....)

From Replays:
Game 1
-Whiffed divekick that was punished. Perhaps thats a good defensive OS to those things.
-let him blockstring and hooligan himself out of the corner.
-failing to confirm cr.MP
-failing more confirms due to autopilot strings.
-dashed into cr.MK spamming

Game 2
+Dive kicked at his divekick recovery. a split second, he thinks he is safe, so he does something and gets hit
+Landed cr.MP, st.LP confirm. This is 3frame time and the standing gives us more range.
+had a sexy st.HP whiff punish with great range baiting
+kept your frame traps 3 frame tight because it was working and converted again.
+didn't over extend to bait DP
+Kept great range, avoiding a potential cr.HP into VT

Game 3
-over game was a bit sloppy and alot of back n forth
-i whiffed some jumps that got me hit
-stopped doing 3 frame tight traps and payed for it.
+had good dive kick frame judgement
+cr.MP beat st.MK. good to know

Conclusion:
a match where i was able to destroy a few bad habits and keep some game plan together to pull out the win. Dont panic on defense. dont get too eager in neutral(patience instead of rushing in. do this based on your opponent). and cr.MP is your friend. keep those frame traps tight and your confirms clean. not a perfect game but a step up from before.

10. xAMkiddPC - Master Ryu
2-1 (+214)
*This is my happiest win yet. This guy is really good and he has an amazing track record against me. I can already feel the difference in my composure and problem solving skills, and my option awareness. I didnt fall for any stupid stuff. I kept my gameplay calm and grounded and mixed in jumps to keep him on his toes. ALOT of my jumps worked, but not all. having a well rounded game in this matchup seems important. keep him focused on the ground and dont get discouraged to jump just because he DP'd you once or twice. VERY SATISFYING WIN

From Replays:
Game 1
-After corner throw, he blocked my st.MP and jump tatsu'd out of the corner. thats a great time for him to do that as i can't keep a tight string. idealy i should have confirmed if the st.MP hit or not, then on block be ready for the jump
- got a jump MP and tried to double jab that whiffed and SA into a block
-tried to back dash away after a jab. usually going to get counterhit after that, and did.
-!!! after air reset i pressed cr.MP again and got stuffed as usually. still aint learning. maybe i will eventually.
-unoptimal punish on whiffed tatsu. could have kill with TC+bar but only did jab jab SA
-didnt whiff punish st.HK
-didnt punish DK Kick very well
-got jumped in on for no reason
-ate a cross up MK for trying to cross cut DP. should have went for autocorrect.

Game 2
+whiff punished his F+HP. fuck that move. discourage him from using it as much as possible
-once he had a bit of space, he went for jump out tatsu again
-didnt punish whiffed st.HK
+caught his hadoken with cr.HK. luckily it wasnt vs a f+HP. perhaps shutting down last game discouraged him. optimal conditioning strategy.
+EX hooligan randomly can negate fireballs. great for random neutral assault to throw him off.
-Challenged with jab after his cr.MP. and oldschool problem with mine. not the time to do it.
-dunno DK Kick frame advantage....ordidnt punish in time
-didnt react to his approach when i chose to EX DP. it worked out for me, though,

Game 3
-got dashed up thrown after i blocked a FB. fakest pressure ever. dont let him do such a thing
-didn't confirm cr.MP
-challenged after his st.MP with cr.MP when it should have been jab.
-didnt complete your V-Skill combo mixup
-used EX bar needlessly on SA confirm

Conclusion:
I didn't allow myself to get rocked by too many dash ins or f+HP. kept my ground game calm with st.MK and definitely made him scared to throw fire balls and simultaneously make him pay for thinking he can keep throwing him. Maybe alot of it was luck, but it felt right. Also he was negative edging into Donkeykick on accident when he wanted fireball. silly guy. lucky for him i wasnt punishing them all. it was a good match for me where i was able to utilize all of my tools and not be intimidated by his. looking forward to the next time i face him, i hope i will be even stronger.

Ending LP: 25368 (+485) !!! wow big gains today. It started off with so few. 100 in the first 3 sets then almost 400 for going 2-1 against 2 higher rank players. crazy how you can still get so many points while still losing games. This completely back fires when youre on the opposite side of the matchmaking, tho. you go 2-1 and you still lose a ton if you are the higher rank player. These extra points should give me a bit of leeway for trying to tackle Ultra Diamond for the next bit. gotta stay sharp. I will start trying to remember to review all these notes before i begin next time so to help reinforce the learning of my mistakes.

This post was edited by nate321 on Jan 18 2018 02:38am
Jan 19 2018 07:47pm
Day #3 Starting with 25368

11. Baconisbeast - Master Kolin
1-2 (+13)
*damn Kolin continues to be really tough for me! i think i played well, though. I kept getting rocked in neutral due to her st.HK CC'ing my cr.MK. maybe if i choose to do neutral i need to press st.MK instead, or be more patient and try to whiff punish st.HK on reaction. I blocked her new VT mixup when he went for it, so that was cool. Her counter gambles were on point. Definitely made me second guess alot of my approaches. A few block string setups that i got hit by with iceballs....dunno I always think they are punishable, but i must always be late on the reaction. What would i have changed to ensure a victory in this match? Probably try to come up with a new way i play footsies and fight in neutral in general. I got mauled by her VT2 dashes alot. She does her TC into -2 or cr.LK into throw..I only clued in at the end that I need to throw out cr.MP randomly to stuff it, and when i did the CH pushed her too far away for cr.MP, cr.MP. I will need to do cr.MP, st.HP in the future when i see a Kolin trying to abuse it. Also when she's got it activated i will have to watch my toes to make sure she doesn't sneak in n clip me with it the low.

From Replays:
Game 1
+whiffed punished her cr.MK with my cr.MK. In the future, tho, use cr.MP to not leave yourself vulnerable to st.HK
- escaped corner with D+MK
- got countered by predictable V-Skill block > cr.MP string. Against these level of players we will have to be aware that they want to challenge it. perhaps in the future go LOW!
- after Counter she throws ice. backdash may be a viable escape
- saw the shimmy attempt and went for a late move. This is always bad because people very often autopilot their button at that certain time. if you see a shimmy with a late reaction, just stay put.
- tried to backdash after f.Throw. you dont this if she tries to meaty. learn to stay put after throws against this character and many more.
- VT DK got countered...pretty obvious situation. always go for the bait first, because they think you are dumb and autopilot.
- fishing with cr.MK. bad bad! her st.HK is too godlike
- did your j.MP too late and got AA'd by st.HP

Game 2
-got cornered with counter
-after doing a block string, ran into her cr.MK xx VT. think of this like balrog. if they get space at all they are just gonna do it
+After EX hands in VT2, she went for the 50/50 setup again, but this time neutral jumped to stay in front. your EX DP beat it. This goes back to the note we made once upon a time. if you successfully defend a 50/50 setup. next time they may try the other option. instead of guessing a 2nd time shut down both options with DP!

Game 3
-whiffed dive kick
-B+mp doesnt work well vs j.HK, especially now in AE
-failed shimmy, killed myself
-lost to the same dash up. let it happen 3x
-another bad cr.MK confirm

Conclusion: I lost alot of life in this set to good counter reads early on. getting CC'd in neutral and in the 2nd losing to her VT2 dash. try backdashing after st.HPs to avoid alot of her cancel options that are probably all fake on block such as ice and vanity step. Use cr.MK after V-Skill to mess with their counters. use cr.MP in footsies over cr.MK when wishpunishing. cr.MK on reaction to st.HK. With these changes i will do much better next time!

12. YanDerek - Super Diamond Kolin
2-0 (+110)
*This is my best proof of work, yet! I think I won every round. I've faced him each of the previous days in close sets where I barely come out on top. The biggest change i did was cr.MP in footsies as well as throwing it out to stop the VT2 dash. It worked so well! I am getting better at this matchup for sure. I know this guy's AA's arn't as good as Bacon's so I think I wasn't too afraid to challenge him there, although that was fairly limited as well. I think for the most part i won on the ground which is very good. I will rewatch the replays looking for things I did well so that I can mentally reinforce them.

From Replays:
Game 1
-Tried to punish V-Skill with cr.MP as usual, but i clued right in afterwords to not do that again.
+Threw out a buffered cr.MP randomly after doing nothing for a while, hoping to catch something and caught a dash in.
+note: cross up LK could make it hard for them to counter AA! keep that in mind.
+challenged after blocked cr.LK(+1) which stuffed his cr.MP. he will have to go for jab or counter to stop this defensive option.(maybe the TC frame traps?)
+threw out buffered cr.MP and caught his VT2 dash
-got cornered by EX Counter
-Used V-Reversal on st.MK. the bigger more negative a move is, the safer your V-Reversal will be.

Game 2
+Like last time it looked like you were going to back off and play a passive neutral, you then switched it up and got a dash in - throw
-Didn't backdash after blocking cr.MP, got thrown.
+waited patiently after being thrown to see what she would do, and successfully throw tech'd. Patiently waiting to see their moves is something you've been weak at. you tend to make your decision before you even wake up. That is valid for real meaty 50/50s, but in this case they dont have that, so watching is better.
-She did VT2 dash into cr.MP. you tried to retaliate with cr.MP. BAD OPTION. should have done cr.LP, even if you did, she still would have frame trapped you with her st.MK. Watch for the button, don't autopilot your defense.
+got good damage catching her VT2 Dashing back in.
+block string into x-up LK works well!
- could have probably killed with TC+1bar combo when she whiffed super instead of st.MP, st.HP xx EX SA

Conclusion: Basically the same as my first reply. Everything basically went according to plan. The other bonus I noticed I can try to implement would be jumping in cross-up LK range. They may not have a real answer to that anymore now that jab AA is nerfed! Also challenging after her cr.LK with cr.LP will be good to give her something to think about. probably give you at least 1 cheap escape every time.

13. brentiscool - Super Diamond Ken
2-0 (+110)
*The first game was close...but the whole set was a bit laggy. I ate some stuff I shouldn't have. Ate a 50/50 that i tried to DP. I gotta mash corner corner faster. I was pretty confident going into this match. I do well vs Kens as I have alot of practice vs Ceroblast. That and I beat this ken earlier in the day with my Guile. I was going to be a little upset if he took a game, which he came close to. I will see if there was anything I could have been a bit cleaner on. Something I think I did well was corner control. I know I definitely have the footsie advantage vs Ken, so i was not afraid to give him a little space to simultaneously make sure he didn't escape.

From Replays:
Game 1
-Another instance of doing jab jab cr.MP and the cr.MP counter hitting, but no confirm after. Autopilot strings. we gotta stop!
-Whiffed VT DK
-Took alot of damage in the first round with wakeup jabs.
-Pressed a button after being hit by V-Reversal.
-got caught by cr.MK xx V-Skill. dumb dumb
-your corner>corner DP didnt work on the 50/50.
+your quick rise delay jab defense tech after HK tatsu
+after activation you went for corner control rather than the dive kick. Got some damage and he burnt meter.
+Punished a close range fireball where he wanted DP. huehue. lucky, but i wasn't out of the match if he landed it.

Game 2
+confirmed st.LK, TC
-got caught by cr.MK xx V-SKill again.
+Delay hooligan + tech worked!
-went for jab AA, ate a full combo
+This time after getting hit by V-Reversal you did DP. He was cornered so he was definitely going to try to use the advantage to get out.
+This time after being reset in the air you went for cr.LP...FINALLY!

Conclusion: Gotta still watch out for V-Skill cancels. it's his fake continued pressure. gotta think...after a block string, he doesnt want to be at that range vs Cammy. Always look for him to try to run back in. A few slip ups made this close, overall it was decently played, though. Some faster mashing and more attentive defense vs runs would have made this a cleaner set for myself. The corner control idea was smart and i am realizing it's importance in matchups where i have the far superior footsies.

25601 LP atm. 2 more sets to go.

This post was edited by nate321 on Jan 19 2018 07:47pm
Jan 19 2018 09:47pm
14. Dankadillas - Grand Master Dhalsim
2-0 (+270)
*I am so happy i am confident in the Dhalsim match these days. I got hit with some VT2 Defense that baited me into trying to counter it, so i have alot to learn in regards to that. I was able to clutch out the 2nd game by not being a flowchart cammy and going for dive kicks. He definitely was trying to read those which gave me opportunities to punish him. He did get a round both games, so there will be lots to learn from those. I did go for dive kick baits this time, be he wasn't as trigger happy with them as fchamp was. will have to make the analysis on this next time before wasting frames.

Replays:
Game1
-after a block string when he was cornered, i went for DK which got CC'd by B+HP
-did a late reaction b+MP to try to AA his divekick. this will probably never work unless done pre-emptively in anticipation.
-EX Yoga flame > VT2 > LP FB. This creates a wall. On top of that he does ia.Gale and my EX drill goes under him to get combod into the VT+Gale
-After blocking divekick, you try to walk away. This allows him to fairly safely do cr.MK xx Yogaflame.
+perfectly caught his tripguard when he messed up his teleport
+He sets up the same VT2 trap as last timebut i dont fall for it.
-after i try to EX hooligan with the thought that it too goes through fireballs, but where the VT2 was sitting,my invuln obviously wears off.
+in a non bnb situation(being hit once by VT while he recovers from something else), i challenged with cr.LP on wakeup
+DP after he has done hit teleport back. He cannot escape!
-Didn't EX drill through his b+MK xx Flame
+not getting baited into DP by normal floating
-random drill?? accidental? dunno.
+challenged float with dash up st.HK to CC his button.
-/+twice he tried to probably bait your dive kick but you caught him in the recovery instead and was able to confirm. Perhaps if he was on point with those the first match could have gone differently. This makes sense why next match he opts for b+HP reads instead, but i don't fall for them. I did not intentionally change this up with that in mind, but i was however aware of the b+HP defense tactic in the 2nd game. Definitely a cool defensive change to include on his part that I should be aware of.

Game 2
+Hit his st.HP with cr.MP xx HK SA. it didn't combo but both still hit.
-After throw tech you went for a dive kick that you messed up. He did his teleport bait which ended up working this time! it didn't punish me but i wasnt ready for it so i got hit crouching. Perhaps this will be something you can bait by being ready for it and reacting with DP.
-after being hit with yoga gail, you back rised and EX DP'd in the correct anticipation of a 50/50. However as it has been shown to us before. a back rise can throw off the gap if he goes front making your DP whiff. you are going to choose to DP after your rise, make sure you did a quick rise and not a back rise!
-VT Drill is not safe to go through his VT2 as far range.
-He did Teleport in the corner to bait your Divekick, but you thought he was going for pressure and whiffed a DP. jab would have been better.
-You tried EX hooligan right after he set up his VT2 wall. it made it through, but since he dashed into the flame, so went your dive kcik. it seems best to not challenge the wall.
-could have ended the round by spending meter on EX drill
-Introduced EX hooligan dive kick in this final round that you hadn't done yet. unpredictability and new things is what makes dhalsim's life hard.
-after forward throw he does b+HP assuming cammys want to get right back in. you can probably look for this in the future and punish them for it.
+After being hit by st.MK, you knew that it was automatic timing to throw out st.HP to CH his next one. YESSSSS 2nd time in 2 dhalsim sets you utilized this tech.

Conclusion: Don't challenge the VT2 wall. I guess we will see later if it creates a scary offense where we'd rather get hit by it once and let it go away. Our anti Dhalsim tech is working, and being patient on the ground is working even better. Be more aware of defensive teleports to make divekicks whiff as it can lead to big damage.

15. GW_Hope - Diamond Boxer
2-0 (+70)
*This match had me sweating more than i'd like. The player wasn't necessarily that good, but he had good anti airs and anti dive kick reads going on that i was DEFINITELY trying to abuse. If he had a more wellrounded gameplan he might have come out on top. He didn't fall for whiffing dashpunches, so i went to my plan B, trying to make him AA cammy, which im sure more boxers would rather not. He was AA'ing my jMP. i heard it got nerfed a bit, maybe that's why it wasn't working as well as i was hoping. I switched to short dive kicks in hopes of counter hitting his AA, but it kept trading. I then started trying to do high delay dive kicks, which at the same time he started going for neutral jumps to counter what i was doing before. This caused me to land some air hits as well as me being hit out of the air. Either way that whole sequence of approaches were finnicky and couldnt totally open him up cleanly by doing so. First round he should have had, but he fucked up and i stole it. mind you i also fucked up a spiral arrow allowing him the ability to take it. I won the first game fairly cleanly from there. 2nd game he got a round on me, i forget how. He for sure caught me with EX Low in VT at some point. That is such a round stealer, i absolutely can't let that happen in the future. I was able to adapt to neutral jumps that were trying to bait my dive kicks i had been abusing, that allowed me to HK DP AA him while he was cornered, helping me secure the final round. I am very happy i made that adaptation, it was really important and hopefully in the future will be able to make the assessment quicker.

Replays:
Game 1
-didn't punish bad dashpunch
-pressed cr.MK after blocking far range low. this is common whiff bait. dont do it
-didnt whiff punish dashpunch
-Threw out st.HP as a read vs dashpunsh after his block string. he wanted to get back in with EX Dash
-Dropped BnB...almost lost because of this.
-didnt whiff punish V-Skill
-didn't keep your offense tight when he had VT stocked, aka the only window he needs to get a win.
+ went for delay EX dive kick to throw off his AA

Game 2
+went for short divekick to challenge his AA
+went for delayed dive kick right after. this caught him out of the air. they change was perfect for mixing up his defensive read of trying to neutral jump your short one.
-didnt punish another deep dashpunch,
- your dive kick got neutral jumped and you didnt try to DP after.
-after getting knocked out of the air, you got hit by a EX Low dash. This is an obvious tactic and should have been more cautious when recovering.
-did hooligan..but waited too long to dive kick. an earlier one might have got the job done.
-should have back thrown for stun.
-hit by EX low full screen
-waited instead of DK'ing like usual. AA'd with HKDP

Conclusion: My dive kick mixups made sense, but he was also fairly ready for alot of them. I guess i havn't play a balrog in a while as i wasnt punishing is deep dashpunches. I gotta remember to watch my feet, espectially when he's go VT goin on. i think 3 times i got hit low. Also when he has VT stocked, DON'T GIVE HIM A GAP TO USE IT, tight strings or outside of cr.MK range. perhaps i can play a strong poking game vs him to make my ariel attacks less predictable, because really, i was spamming them. I also gotta realise when ppl are trying to jump my dive kicks ASAP. i learned a little late, luckily it didn't bite me in the ass.

Ending LP: 25941 (+573) i'm doing better each day in point results. Each day i've beat a master for the majority of my points, so that must mean im holding up vs the super and ultra diamonds better, too. I had another instance of proof of work today vs YanDerek, so that may have been my most satisfying match. Hopefully next time i run into baconisbeast, i'll be able to get the W. Almost reached that 26000 again. ive' been there twice before, so 27000 is my next real goal for sign of improvement. Can't wait to see how i'll do in day #4!

Jan 20 2018 08:13pm
Starting LP: 25941
I have a feeling I might run into an Abigail and that will really test my will to play this game :unsure:

16. Baconisbeast - Master Kolin
1-2 (+22)
*damnit I had this. I got bodied the first game, but made the adjustments for the 2nd. i lose 2 game winning rounds due to the fact that i forgot how to use VT2. yes i tried to go with VT2 this time and everytime i activated it actually forgot it was VT2. Damnnn. First game I pressed way too hard and got bodied for it. 2nd game i slowed down and though about the neutral a bit more. He wasn't pressing alot of buttons, so i decided that i would dash in whenever he whiffed a button. it worked really well. Delay EX dive kicks worked well. gahhh i am so sad about the VT2 fails...i'm going to cringe so hard when I see them in the replays.

Game 1
-st.HK still managed to CC my cr.MP, but tahts because it was fairly close
-tried to mash backdash in the corner after getting corner thrown. her throw pressure isn't scary.
-really bad cr.MK xx SA

Game 2
+went low on V-Skill mixup
-gave her space in the corner accidently, then continued to walk forward into her cr.MK xx VT

Game 3
+went for throw on the 2nd V-Skill mixup
-need to punish her far range sweep with SA
-need to AA her with DP
-did bad VT combo for the round win.
-no confirm on cr.MP after her air reset
+reacted in time to random EX vanity
-Should have punished overhead with TC not cr.MP
-should try to react to VT2 dash with jab and use cr.MP preemptively

Conclusion...i actually played really well the last 2 games. just gotta figure out wtf i am doing with VT2 D;. hopefully it wont cost me more games. There is probably more to it but so many conflicting emotions i can't pick out too much else ahah. Maybe i need to simply incorporate dashes into my neutral WAY more. It worked really really well.

17. DymonD - Diamond Urien
2-0 +70
*This Urien wasn't exceptional, but he still hit me a few times, mostly with random stuff. A bit of patience and i was able to bait all of his EX DPs, like 3-4 of them. He hit me with his VT2. It does alot of damage and he can cancel into it off of his overhead and then it acts like a parry when you want to try to punish it. Good to know. I don't think there was too much to learn from this set besides how his VT can work. So there was something but I wont every round without too much sweat, so i think i'll skip this one.

18. 80sBowie - Diamond/Super Diamond Cammy
2-1 (-12)
*ahhh i got clumsy. I am still not using my VT2 well. It's messing me up alot ahah. I played fairly patient the first set to beat him, but then i got a bit careless in the 2nd and he beat me fairly. i had to go ULTRA patient to beat him the 3rd game. This guy, too, is really patient. Quite tough. My VT2 mixups worked once, but every other time i activated it fucked me up zzzz. few more tries and i'll have it.

Game 1
-can probably OS a button to deal with whiffed divekicks
-cr.MP whiffed punished his st.HP
+did VT cr.HP>cr.HP frame trap. went into TC instead of jab>strong. Canceling the TC into VT again made it whiff. Your VT overhead could have comboed into Super for the kill, likely.

Game 2
+got early dash up throw because he know he doesnt press alot of buttons
-did meaningless DP on defense when he had full life. taking a throw would have been 10x better
-whiffed cr.MK and it got punished
-Challenged on WAYYYYYY to high of a divekick. you definitely deserved to lose for that
-did wrong VT move again
-!!!! had corner pressure...canceled into hooligan that put yourself in the corner and lost the frame advantage with the divekick you deserved to lose this game SO SO SO BAD. DONT DO DUMB HOOLIGANS

Game 3
-went for dash in throw again, got hit by random st.HP
-lost to his dash in jab
+after hitting a CH st.MK, you shortly after went for EX dive kick. this works because the opponent gets extra focused on ground spacing and movements
-He did a bad drill and you didnt punish. went for cr.HP xx VT, he blocked, your frame trap was too late. and he threw you out of it.
+delay hooligan techs working well
+EX DK'd him while he was fishing for cr.HPxx super
-DID REALLY DUMB HIGH HOOLGIAN AND GOT PUNISHED
-challenged on high dive kicked
-didn't punish cross over Super
-did bad VT activation...
-last round just went my way with a little bit of luck and good meaty confirms

Conclusion: STOP doing unintelligent hooligans. it can be a useful tricky tool, but only when you are conciously using it and making sure your divekick hits low. FIGURE OUT YOUR DAMN VT2!! its going to be able to score us alot of wins if we use it well. Your dive kick height judging in general seems to be poor. lots lots lots to work on. mostly stop doing dumb hooligans, especially dont corner yourself with them.

19. GW_Hope - Diamond Boxer
2-0 (+70)
*pretty clean win. only one actual problem, was like last time i faced this guy, i didn't keep my strings tight when he had VT stocked. i payed for it twice where he made a couple rounds slightly interesting. But with no rounds lost, or no lack of control felt, i am not going to review this one.

20. blarr-lad - Super Diamond Abigail
0-2 (-179)
*aheh. i knew i was going to have to fight an abigail, and i lost alot for it. given that, i think i played it okay. I won a round each time and the final rounds were semi close. There was definitely some things i didnt react to quick enough, turns out my corner combo whiffs on abigail...how sad. This is the match of the whole effort so far that i need to learn the most from...

Game 1
-got hit by dash up overhead
-didnt react to air hammer
-try to stay out of his jab range, its OP
-messed up your VT mixup. it worked ok at first but went for overhead 2 times in a row
-maybe could have thrown his unblockable attempt after close VT activation
-Mashed DP after being hit, solved nothing.
-should try to predict the armor breaking moves when he is in VT to be ready to backdash away
+went for hooligan throws. work well to mess up his AAs
-probably dont go for ia.Divekicks up close...they seem to just get bat out of the air by jab.
-didn't whiff punish his roll

Game 2
-got caught low far away.
-dropped combo..this has been happening a little bit to me...due to new stick??
-watch for cr.HP to be canceled into hammerfist.
-He is jumping away from our throws trying to cross up. maybe our throws should be OS'd with DP when they are cornered.
-try to punished whiffed charge moves with SA
-cornered myself with v-reversal
-if he doesnt have time to fully charge a move on a knockdown, maybe block because he might just release early for the meaty.

Conclusion:
I think i played it right, patient outside his ranges, hope to get a whiff punish, with some soft read jumps. I need to react to the hammerfists more. maybe just b+MP will be enough, but not sure. I will need more EXP and more losses from abigail to get better at it.

25912 LP going to do 2 more i think

test
armor on st.HP
Go Back To User Blogs Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic