d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > A New Democracy
Prev1234518Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 0.00
Oct 20 2017 08:45am
Quote (murder567 @ 20 Oct 2017 14:31)
Why not just choose a philosopher king?

Hard to tell if they really are... Henry VIII certainly claimed that title through his Erasmian humanitarian education and then used it in a manner that horrified Erasmus by justifying his continuing wars with France and breaking from Rome.
Gold: 57.00
Oct 20 2017 08:53am
Quote (Scaly @ 20 Oct 2017 10:44)
You never 'win people over with ideas'. You attempt to mock, bully and belittle with repetitive memes. So repetitive in fact that they are likely ineffectual. Pretty sure fender doesn't give two fucks that you call him 'heinrich' and just about everybody scrolls past you posting your 'triggered' meme without giving it a second thought.

It is nice to actually have a dialogue of sorts with you though. So thanks for that.

i'm not running for public office. the subject of the topic is "voter education/voting/new democracy" not how one posts on a diablo 2 forum.

oh fender aka heinrich von goebbels, descendant of joseph cares. he mass pmed the same rage essay to multiple users lashing out with a list of demands after he was bamboozled into providing evidence of his own argument being invalid.
Gold: 8,221.00
Oct 20 2017 08:58am
Quote (zarkadon @ Oct 20 2017 06:57am)
I'm more in favour of improving the education system, so that children are better prepared to understand politics/economics/etc and can make better decisions.

Democracy, as much as I like it, is a recipe for disaster if the people making the decisions are uneducated... so having properly informed and educated voters is a must.

In most countries teenagers are educated about the different political systems and positions, learning about Marx, Hobbes, Machiavelli, etc... but that is not enough. The system needs to make sure kids have a grasp of how pensions, the financial market, government, etc works, and it would be great if there was a subject every week where kids analyzed the news and debated about them. They also need to be taught how to analyze the information on the media, realize when something sounds fishy, and then go double check another source to compare just how true an article is.

No, improving education is not the issue here, this is a low hanging fruit when it comes to explaining the perceived problem here. We are at the height of education globally. More people are going to universities than ever before. The reason a young person is apathetic about politics/economics/etc. is not because they aren't educated, it's because they are immature.

Teenagers and young adults are too preoccupied with technology and social media to give a fuck about learning about economics. Young adults don't show up to vote not because they are uneducated on the consequences of some economic or political action but rather because there's about 80 other things they rather be doing. Drinking, scrolling on face book, going out, video games, sports, etc, you get the picture. How many at the high school level are passionate about learning about Marx compared to looking attractive? It's not about education, it's about the inherent human condition in which people choose fun & comfort over something laborious and not gratifying.

edit:

@Scaly as others pointed out your proposition would actually create a lot of systemic oppression. If only you would take your idea to it's logical conclusion you would see that the people left making the choices would largely be white, middle & upper class, meanwhile the minorities would get no voice. It's a shit proposition and you should be ashamed of it.

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Oct 20 2017 09:02am
Gold: 2,617.52
Oct 20 2017 09:07am
Quote (Scaly @ Oct 20 2017 09:04am)
I think we can all agree that people who are utterly unqualified for their government roles end up in charge of shit they know nothing about regularly in both American and UK politics.
I'm talking about Cruz on climate change and NASA, Trump on everything, letting UKIP or the DUP have any seats whatsoever and so on.

I propose a simple solution. A course. A course that educates people on voting, free and paid for by the government with a minimum pass mark required to succeed and earn the right to vote.
Details are open for discussion of course but I believe this course should be at least 2 years of study part-time (or a year full-time) and you should have refresher courses every so often, say every 5 years maybe, to maintain your voting rights. Also a mandatory week long course before every major election that includes the views of all parties so people know exactly what they are voting for.

I believe this would reduce the amount of dumbass voting by a substantial margin and the week course before a major election would force politicians to be clear about their intentions and held accountable if they are found to be lacking in the mandate on which they were voted into their position.

Open to further ideas of course.

So. What America did back in the 1700’s before liberal democrats existed?

:rofl:

It used to be that only property owners voted

This post was edited by EndlessSky on Oct 20 2017 09:09am
Gold: 745.69
Oct 20 2017 09:08am
I like the idea in theory, but I'm concerned that in practice, it will end up being total shit like common core math.
Gold: 18,534.02
Oct 20 2017 09:09am
The level of narcissism is amazing right now.
Gold: 0.00
Oct 20 2017 09:11am
Quote (ofthevoid @ 20 Oct 2017 14:58)
No, improving education is not the issue here, this is a low hanging fruit when it comes to explaining the perceived problem here. We are at the height of education globally. More people are going to universities than ever before. The reason a young person is apathetic about politics/economics/etc. is not because they aren't educated, it's because they are immature.

Teenagers and young adults are too preoccupied with technology and social media to give a fuck about learning about economics. Young adults don't show up to vote not because they are uneducated on the consequences of some economic or political action but rather because there's about 80 other things they rather be doing. Drinking, scrolling on face book, going out, video games, sports, etc, you get the picture. How many at the high school level are passionate about learning about Marx compared to looking attractive? It's not about education, it's about the inherent human condition in which people choose fun & comfort over something laborious and not gratifying.

edit:

@Scaly as others pointed out your proposition would actually create a lot of systemic oppression. If only you would take your idea to it's logical conclusion you would see that the people left making the choices would largely be white, middle & upper class, meanwhile the minorities would get no voice. It's a shit proposition and you should be ashamed of it.

I'm ok with systemic oppression of stupid people.

I did mention this was a free course right? Literally anyone can take it.
Gold: 500.00
Oct 20 2017 09:13am
Quote (Scaly @ Oct 20 2017 10:11am)

that's a very dangerous line of thinking :mellow:
Gold: 8,221.00
Oct 20 2017 09:17am
Quote (Scaly @ Oct 20 2017 08:11am)

A 4 year degree from a state university is now free in my state. Guess what? The black family living next to me that has 3 college aged kids in their home, none of them consider going to university, even if it's free.

Like i said, take your ideas to their logical conclusion, you're essentially proposing the bourgeois run society. What do you think eventually happens in realm of politics? Do you think this new class is going to legislate objectively or create legislation that benefits them?

Gold: 2,617.52
Oct 20 2017 09:19am
Quote (Scaly @ Oct 20 2017 11:11am)

This already exists. Is called a library
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1234518Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll