d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > A New Democracy
12318Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 0.00
Oct 20 2017 07:04am
I think we can all agree that people who are utterly unqualified for their government roles end up in charge of shit they know nothing about regularly in both American and UK politics.
I'm talking about Cruz on climate change and NASA, Trump on everything, letting UKIP or the DUP have any seats whatsoever and so on.

I propose a simple solution. A course. A course that educates people on voting, free and paid for by the government with a minimum pass mark required to succeed and earn the right to vote.
Details are open for discussion of course but I believe this course should be at least 2 years of study part-time (or a year full-time) and you should have refresher courses every so often, say every 5 years maybe, to maintain your voting rights. Also a mandatory week long course before every major election that includes the views of all parties so people know exactly what they are voting for.

I believe this would reduce the amount of dumbass voting by a substantial margin and the week course before a major election would force politicians to be clear about their intentions and held accountable if they are found to be lacking in the mandate on which they were voted into their position.

Open to further ideas of course.
Gold: 122,606.50
Oct 20 2017 07:16am
It should be forbidden even for parents to teach religion to minors, before imposing more mandatory education.

This post was edited by PKSubban on Oct 20 2017 07:19am
Gold: 4,383.11
Oct 20 2017 07:17am
sounds somewhat appealing, but that does not change the much bigger problem that you mentioned
complete idiots in the political parties in the western world

so before we make a course for voters, lets rather set requirements for politicians
education, a completed professional training or university degree and actual experience in the real world, just to name something and prevent ideology driven morons who have never worked a day in their lives from entering the political landscape

i dont believe the voters are to blame, there are of course many idiots voting, but by definition there is no "dumbass voting" if you catch my meaning
Gold: 6,351.00
Oct 20 2017 07:23am
There’s a very 1984-Esque flavor to your proposition.

No thanks on the authoritarianism.
Gold: 18,534.02
Oct 20 2017 07:23am
Corruption would run rampant in a system like this. Who dictates what is "taught" in this course? I think the idea in theory is great, but it would fall apart in practice.

Not to mention the whole constitutional issues that arise with choosing/allowing people to vote.

How do we identify and qualify "dumbass voting"

E: Do you qualify people voting for the other party "dumbass" because you disagree? I bet a lot of people feel this way. Dangerous.

This post was edited by djman72 on Oct 20 2017 07:25am
Gold: 8,933.00
Oct 20 2017 07:30am
Quote (Scaly @ Oct 20 2017 08:04am)
I think we can all agree that people who are utterly unqualified for their government roles end up in charge of shit they know nothing about regularly in both American and UK politics.
I'm talking about Cruz on climate change and NASA, Trump on everything, letting UKIP or the DUP have any seats whatsoever and so on.

I propose a simple solution. A course. A course that educates people on voting, free and paid for by the government with a minimum pass mark required to succeed and earn the right to vote.
Details are open for discussion of course but I believe this course should be at least 2 years of study part-time (or a year full-time) and you should have refresher courses every so often, say every 5 years maybe, to maintain your voting rights. Also a mandatory week long course before every major election that includes the views of all parties so people know exactly what they are voting for.

I believe this would reduce the amount of dumbass voting by a substantial margin and the week course before a major election would force politicians to be clear about their intentions and held accountable if they are found to be lacking in the mandate on which they were voted into their position.

:bonk:
Gold: 2,004.41
Oct 20 2017 07:35am
strip the rights of individuals and lock them up behind government issued classes prone to corruption and standardized tests, because you feel they hold the wrong beliefs and vote for the wrong reasons, due to your enlightenment.

the best result after such a system, we will have three blocs, The Voter, who is of course educated, The Apatheti,c who does not participate and The Retarded Failures, who just weren't smart enough, or they couldn't fit time in their busy schedules, but it's all the same.

Ignore the plebeians behind us, Reginald. For their days are spent laboring, voting is for we elegant few.
Oct 20 2017 07:35am
Quote (djman72 @ 20 Oct 2017 13:23)
Corruption would run rampant in a system like this. Who dictates what is "taught" in this course? I think the idea in theory is great, but it would fall apart in practice.

Not to mention the whole constitutional issues that arise with choosing/allowing people to vote.

How do we identify and qualify "dumbass voting"

E: Do you qualify people voting for the other party "dumbass" because you disagree? I bet a lot of people feel this way. Dangerous.

Typical Trumpist fear of education.

It's about informed voting. Guarantee many people wouldn't have voted for Brexit if they knew anything about how immigration would actually be affected and whether or not the NHS could actually get £350M more. Not saying everyone who voted Brexit is an idiot of course. Just many were misinformed or uninformed.

Quote (Santara @ 20 Oct 2017 13:30)
:bonk:

Solid argument. Better than usual for you actually. Well done. Give yourself a smiley face sticker.
Oct 20 2017 07:37am
Quote (Sakuraba @ 20 Oct 2017 13:35)
strip the rights of individuals and lock them up behind government issued classes prone to corruption and standardized tests, because you feel they hold the wrong beliefs and vote for the wrong reasons, due to your enlightenment.

the best result after such a system, we will have three blocs, The Voter, who is of course educated, The Apatheti,c who does not participate and The Retarded Failures, who just weren't smart enough, or they couldn't fit time in their busy schedules, but it's all the same.

https://i.imgur.com/nE5z7s5.jpg

Ignore the plebeians behind us, Reginald. For their days are spent laboring, voting is for we elegant few.

Precisely. Don't see anything wrong with that.

Although I am proposing a free course with the option to take it part-time (or even from home, why not?). So it's not as if there isn't equal opportunity.
Warn: 20%
Oct 20 2017 07:41am
Quote (Scaly @ 20 Oct 2017 14:04)

i admit that sometimes i wish uninformed idiots just wouldn't vote, but you just can't restrict voter rights by putting obstacles in place that would target a specific group, that's what the republicans are doing in the US (especially in the south), and it's highly undemocratic.

as soon as you make those courses mandatory and even gate the right to vote behind a test, you're clearly crossing a line. incentivising political education (financially maybe) is something i could get behind. it would have to be strictly bipartisan though, something i imagine would be hard to achieve considering parties banking on misinforming or keeping voters ignorant regarding particular topics would probably claim any information was partisan and biased...

ofc it is frustrating to see how so many people support idiots that would be exposed by the tiniest bit of political knowledge, or even critical and rational thinking, but what it comes down to is that it is everyone's right to support those asshats, and if enough people vote for them, they deserve it...
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
12318Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll