d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > General Help > Herp Derp Windows 10 > Help
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic
Banned
Gold: 101.00
Oct 15 2017 05:25am
Quote (Yakir @ Oct 15 2017 01:24pm)
You didn't understand me :)
If you find out the problematic update, you could download it manually from microsoft and install it manually and not from Windows Update.
Please try and update your widows as if and see if you get an error ( you must get an error ) and post it here.

Sure
How can I make it update manually? I don't know this stuff
Jr Admin
Gold: 248,806.00
Trader: Trusted
Oct 15 2017 05:25am
You could try booting into Safe Mode (not required, but best) -> Copy this folder to your desktop (as a backup), and delete the original C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution -> Reboot back to normal, and then manually search for Windows updates and apply them.

This will delete all temporarily stored files needed to update Windows, and could solve the problem, if it's a conflict in your current files.

This post was edited by Arkhen on Oct 15 2017 05:26am
Banned
Oct 15 2017 05:27am
Quote (Arkhen @ Oct 15 2017 01:25pm)
Which update specifically is it failing to update, do you know? You can usually see the version under Update History.

You could try booting into Safe Mode (not required, but best) -> Copy this folder to your desktop (as a backup), and delete the original C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution -> Reboot back to normal, and then manually search for Windows updates and apply them.

This will delete all temporarily stored files needed to update Windows, and could solve the problem, if it's a conflict in your current files.

No idea man, don't even know where to find Update History as everything is in Swedish and I can't even search for it apparently.
About the safe mode, that just seems way to complicated and I would probably screw something up knowing me as I do..
Jr Admin
Oct 15 2017 05:34am
Quote (mon @ 15 Oct 2017 13:27)
No idea man, don't even know where to find Update History as everything is in Swedish and I can't even search for it apparently.
About the safe mode, that just seems way to complicated and I would probably screw something up knowing me as I do..

The Safe Mode step is just a precaution to ensure your system won't rewrite the old files immediately after deleting. Not a requirement.
Alternatively you could just pull out your internet plug / disable wifi -> Reboot the PC and then copy this folder to your desktop (as a backup), and delete the original: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution -> Reboot the PC, enable internet again and then manually search for Windows updates.
Banned
Oct 15 2017 05:37am
Quote (Arkhen @ Oct 15 2017 01:34pm)
The Safe Mode step is just a precaution to ensure your system won't rewrite the old files immediately after deleting. Not a requirement.
Alternatively you could just pull out your internet plug / disable wifi -> Reboot the PC and then copy this folder to your desktop (as a backup), and delete the original: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution -> Reboot the PC, enable internet again and then manually search for Windows updates.

I don't even know how to do all that but can't I just wait for the next time it wants to update and just tell you guys the issue then? I kinda don't want to screw some important file up and this just feels way too complicated for me, sry.
Jr Admin
Oct 15 2017 05:56am
Quote (mon @ 15 Oct 2017 13:37)
I don't even know how to do all that but can't I just wait for the next time it wants to update and just tell you guys the issue then? I kinda don't want to screw some important file up and this just feels way too complicated for me, sry.

Made a simple step by step, perhaps that will make it a little less complicated :)
    1) Hold Windows Key (the button between CTRL and ALT which looks like a window or a flag) and press X -> Open Device Manager (might be called Enhetshanteraren or similar in Swedish) -> Under Nätverkskort right-click your network card(s) and disable them (can always be enabled again!).
    2) Reboot the PC while they are disabled.
    3) Navigate to C:\Windows and locate the folder "SoftwareDistribution". Drag the folder to your desktop, and delete the original when it has finished copying.
    4) Open Device Manager again, and enable the Nätverkskort you disabled in step 1. Then reboot the PC.
    5) And then you just check for updates manually. Can be done by opening Start -> Press the cogwheel (Probably called Inställningar in Swedish) -> Update & Security -> Check for updates
Banned
Oct 16 2017 05:46am
Quote (Arkhen @ Oct 15 2017 01:56pm)
Made a simple step by step, perhaps that will make it a little less complicated :)
    1) Hold Windows Key (the button between CTRL and ALT which looks like a window or a flag) and press X -> Open Device Manager (might be called Enhetshanteraren or similar in Swedish) -> Under Nätverkskort right-click your network card(s) and disable them (can always be enabled again!).
    2) Reboot the PC while they are disabled.
    3) Navigate to C:\Windows and locate the folder "SoftwareDistribution". Drag the folder to your desktop, and delete the original when it has finished copying.
    4) Open Device Manager again, and enable the Nätverkskort you disabled in step 1. Then reboot the PC.
    5) And then you just check for updates manually. Can be done by opening Start -> Press the cogwheel (Probably called Inställningar in Swedish) -> Update & Security -> Check for updates

So when I started up my PC I got the update thingy in right bottom corner telling me I should update, so I did.. and after the PC reset and it tried to update and then after like 3 minutes of trying to update it gave me the
message "we were unable to complete the updates, changes are undone"

then when the pc booted, it gave me this again..
same thing all over again, what is causing this? my rig is not even 6 months old -.-

Do I have to go through all those steps in order to fix it properly?
Jr Admin
Oct 16 2017 05:51am
It's hard to tell exactly where the updates are running into conflicts. But deleting the currently stored update files (with the steps above) would eliminate the issue, if it's caused by the required update files.
It will force Windows to download the necessary files for the update again, instead of reusing the current files stored in that folder, which potentially could be damaged or corrupt, possibly resulting in these failed updates you get.
Banned
Oct 16 2017 05:51am
Quote (Arkhen @ Oct 16 2017 01:51pm)
It's hard to tell exactly where the updates are running into conflicts. But deleting the currently stored update files (with the steps above) would eliminate the issue, if it's caused by the required update files.
It will force Windows to download the necessary files for the update again, instead of reusing the current files stored in that folder, which potentially could be damaged or corrupt, possibly resulting in these failed updates you get.

Allright, I will try those steps you gave me, thanks for simplifying them.
I'm just afraid that if I do so that I wont be able to boot up my pc for some reason lol, if I screw something up that is
Banned
Oct 16 2017 08:57am
@Arkhen, did those steps and it did NOT help me whatsoever..

Result:

Go Back To General Help Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic