d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Knowingly Exposing Others To Hiv In California > No Longer A Felony
Prev123413Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 90.58
Oct 8 2017 01:28pm
Code
Makes sense to me tbh. If you take reasonable precautions and still end up infecting someone then that sucks (and should be very rare) but you shouldn't be prosecuted.

"I accidentally forgot to tell you last night honey, but I have HIV"

Gold: 2,004.41
Oct 8 2017 01:30pm
homosexual / drug user problems
Gold: 119,903.34
Oct 8 2017 01:32pm
Seems like the men in Japan wanting to fuck robots/dolls maybe really do have it figured out.
Gold: 2,094.99
Oct 8 2017 01:32pm
Quote (Scaly @ Oct 8 2017 02:26pm)
Makes sense to me tbh. If you take reasonable precautions and still end up infecting someone then that sucks (and should be very rare) but you shouldn't be prosecuted.

If you informed said individual that is now infected, no, you shouldn’t be prosecuted

If you didn’t inform said individual & they end up infected you should be prosecuted.

This post was edited by IgoSoHard on Oct 8 2017 01:35pm
Gold: 42.00
Oct 8 2017 01:33pm
wait what
Gold: 7.77
Oct 8 2017 01:43pm
Quote (BardOfXiix @ Oct 8 2017 11:10am)
Intentionally spreading it is a felony. Unintentionally spreading it is no longer (reduced to misdemeanor). I'm not in favor of this legislation at all but it's not as insane as y'all are making it out to be. Handcuffs and I had a rather long discussion about the situation a few months ago.

Well, SB 239 actually does reduce intentional transmission from a felony to a misdemeanor as well. It updates the 4 major HIV criminalization laws in California.

I was involved, albeit in a small way, in the process of SB 239 and did legislative visits advocating for SB 239's passage. I have lots to comment, but not the time at the this moment. I'll respond in more detail soon!
Gold: 7,525.35
Oct 8 2017 02:00pm
(1) Existing law makes it a felony punishable by imprisonment for 3, 5, or 8 years in the state prison to expose another person to the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) by engaging in unprotected sexual activity when the infected person knows at the time of the unprotected sex that he or she is infected with HIV, has not disclosed his or her HIV-positive status, and acts with the specific intent to infect the other person with HIV. Existing law makes it a felony punishable by imprisonment for 2, 4, or 6 years for any person to donate blood, tissue, or, under specified circumstances, semen or breast milk, if the person knows that he or she has acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS), or that he or she has tested reactive to HIV. Existing law provides that a person who is afflicted with a contagious, infectious, or communicable disease who willfully exposes himself or herself to another person, or any person who willfully exposes another person afflicted with the disease to someone else, is guilty of a misdemeanor.

This bill would repeal those provisions. The bill would instead make the intentional transmission of an infectious or communicable disease, as defined, a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment in a county jail for not more than 6 months if certain circumstances apply, including that the defendant knows he or she or a 3rd party is afflicted with the disease, that the defendant acts with the specific intent to transmit or cause an afflicted 3rd party to transmit the disease to another person, that the defendant or the afflicted 3rd party engages in conduct that poses a substantial risk of transmission, as defined, that the defendant or the afflicted 3rd party transmits the disease to the other person, and if the exposure occurs through interaction with the defendant and not a 3rd party, that the person exposed to the disease during voluntary interaction with the defendant did not know that the defendant was afflicted with the disease. The bill would also make it a misdemeanor to attempt to intentionally transmit an infectious and communicable disease, as specified, punishable by imprisonment in a county jail for not more than 90 days.

Reprehensible.

Gold: 152.00
Oct 8 2017 02:26pm
Would be a good decision but should perhaps have the caveat that the person must be treated.

How many other severe communicable diseases are illegal to transmit btw?

Quote (cambovenzi @ Oct 8 2017 04:00pm)
Reprehensible.

Why?

This post was edited by Voyaging on Oct 8 2017 02:28pm
Gold: 17,384.69
Oct 8 2017 02:32pm
article:

http://www.latimes.com/politics/essential/la-pol-ca-essential-politics-updates-gov-brown-downgrades-from-felony-to-1507331544-htmlstory.html

quote:

Supporters of the bill said women engaging in prostitution are disproportionately targeted with criminal charges, even in cases where the infection is not transmitted.

Ah y i get it now: No brain no pain.
Gold: 0.00
Oct 8 2017 02:43pm
Quote (JohnMiller92 @ 8 Oct 2017 19:28)
Code

"I accidentally forgot to tell you last night honey, but I have HIV"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmPRw-joU7E

Pretty sure I said 'If you take reasonable precautions'. I know that's open ended but it certainly doesn't mean unprotected sex during infectious periods.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev123413Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll