d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > Best Way To Lose Gut/stomach?
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 21.80
Oct 8 2017 12:08am
1. Burn more calories than you consume.
2. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables.
3. Don't buy into "bro science" which tells you that cardio/carbs make you fat
4. Get a blender and make kale shakes whenever you are craving an unhealthy binge gorging. The fiber will fill you up and make you feel less hungry.
5. Do cardio first thing when you wake up after you get out of bed. (fasted cardio burns fat much faster)
6. Eat healthy carbohydrates such as fruits and quinoa which will help you feel more energized and alert. These carbs will also help fuel you to push yourself harder in your workouts. As opposed to keto diet zombies who are constantly tired/lazy and 99% fail this diet after the first couple of weeks because it is neither sustainable nor healthy.

The most efficient way to lose your gut will be to make salubrious lifestyle changes. Start by eating healthier foods and adding some forms of exercise to your daily routine. Oh and I'll say it again- KALE SHAKES!
Gold: 720.00
Oct 8 2017 03:29am
Quote (FLegend @ Oct 8 2017 01:08am)
1. Burn more calories than you consume.
2. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables.
3. Don't buy into "bro science" which tells you that cardio/carbs make you fat
4. Get a blender and make kale shakes whenever you are craving an unhealthy binge gorging. The fiber will fill you up and make you feel less hungry.
5. Do cardio first thing when you wake up after you get out of bed. (fasted cardio burns fat much faster)
6. Eat healthy carbohydrates such as fruits and quinoa which will help you feel more energized and alert. These carbs will also help fuel you to push yourself harder in your workouts. As opposed to keto diet zombies who are constantly tired/lazy and 99% fail this diet after the first couple of weeks because it is neither sustainable nor healthy.

The most efficient way to lose your gut will be to make salubrious lifestyle changes. Start by eating healthier foods and adding some forms of exercise to your daily routine. Oh and I'll say it again- KALE SHAKES!

Nice.

This is very good advice :)
Gold: 5,496.89
Oct 14 2017 09:13pm
Quote (dark-soul @ Oct 7 2017 10:55pm)
If you want to lose stomach fat you have to lose weight.

This.

1. Diet
2. Cardio
3. Core workouts

Once you have lost your desired amount of stomach fat, then you can worry about bulking up. There's no way to specifically target one body area for weight loss.
Gold: 207.00
Oct 15 2017 12:15am
do 500 crunches and bam youre skinny
Retired Moderator
Gold: 505.00
Trader: Trusted
Oct 15 2017 09:47am
3. Don't buy into "bro science" which tells you that cardio/carbs make you fat.

Broscience is IIFYM, not keto. Science is keto. You use the fat as fuel and put your body in its preferred metabolic state and you lose weight.

You can lose weight with cardio and carbs but it's less efficient, more grueling, more inflammatory, and it definitely doesn't give you better energy -- and it's less sustainable. Also, cardio itself is not optimal for fat loss, but getting into an oxidative state at a lower intensity is optimal. Interval training is also better than plain cardio.
Gold: 1,895.00
Oct 15 2017 10:22am
Quote (RewtheBrave @ Oct 15 2017 09:47am)
3. Don't buy into "bro science" which tells you that cardio/carbs make you fat.
Broscience is IIFYM, not keto. Science is keto. You use the fat as fuel and put your body in its preferred metabolic state and you lose weight.

You can lose weight with cardio and carbs but it's less efficient, more grueling, more inflammatory, and it definitely doesn't give you better energy -- and it's less sustainable
. Also, cardio itself is not optimal for fat loss, but getting into an oxidative state at a lower intensity is optimal. Interval training is also better than plain cardio.

His post was right though. People generally love to demonize carbs for no reason. They're just a cheap energy source for the body. People think carbs are bad and will make you fat since they're in just about every type of food so by eating a lot of food you eat a lot of carbs and thus you end up in a calorie excess and gain weight. You could eat a ton of fat and protein and no carbs and gain weight too since any macronutrient can be stored as fat. Also most Americans eat far more protein than they need which is part of the issue with the obesity epidemic.

Both IIFYM and ketosis work for losing weight. Neither are based off bro-science but I think IIFYM is a much better diet than keto since it's much less restrictive and will lead to better results long-term for most people since they can actually stick to it and achieve any of their fitness goals. The worst thing you can tell a person new to nutrition or exercise is to do a keto diet imo. A lot of people on keto even say to avoid fruits since they have carbs which is baffling to me. I think people just like to be different so they go for the non traditional diets. If people love keto then that's great I don't have a problem with the diet in general but I don't see it as superior to a normal diet and for most people it will cause them to give up on the diet and return to their old habits. I agree with you on interval training being better than cardio.

Quote (RewtheBrave @ Oct 7 2017 11:06pm)
That's true. Keto is just more efficient. It's also more difficult to follow a keto diet than most other diets, which is why I'd recommend going 60/20/20 or maybe a bit higher on the fats, and using intermittent (absolute min. 12h) fasts, starting feeding with water or any combo of coffee/exogenous ketones/mct oil to achieve ketosis. In this way you may not be in sustained ketosis but you also don't need to worry if you don't do well with no carbs.

I've lost weight every which way

carbs & cardio
keto & only lifting
keto & cardio (which felt f*cking terrible)

And my best balance was to stay around but above 60/20/20, lift, and go with intermittent fasting + exogenous ketones.

I've lost 19 pounds in 3 weeks via carbs + cardio.
I've lost 16 pounds in just short of 3 weeks using my quasi keto method.

The trouble with the carbs + cardio method (I don't mean high carbs, I just mean allowing 20%-40% if need be) was that I felt drained at the end. I was also dehydrated on some days and that felt bad.

I'm not opposed to plain old caloric deficit, I'm just stating a personal preference based on a few experiments.

In what way is keto more efficient though? It works on the same premise of calorie balance to lose weight so it's the same goal just different method. On the second bold that's fair.

This post was edited by dark-soul on Oct 15 2017 10:43am
Retired Moderator
Oct 15 2017 11:21am
Quote (dark-soul @ 15 Oct 2017 12:22)
In what way is keto more efficient though? It works on the same premise of calorie balance to lose weight so it's the same goal just different method. On the second bold that's fair.

Keto uses ketone bodies to burn fat directly as fuel. That's why it's more efficient.

I agree that carbs aren't an enemy in themselves, but they create cravings and inflammation. Plus, in ketosis, people feel on average 50% more energy. So you feel better, cognition improves, and you burn fat more efficiently, plus you get less inflammation and cravings. Plus, people tend to eat more when they eat carbs, and this is because carbs (esp. simple carbs) aren't satiating. IIFYM is Broscience unless it involves a plan for micronutrient density. Otherwise, people will eat a bowl of ice cream and think it's just as healthy as eating a bowl of mixed greens salad with some olive oil.
Gold: 1,895.00
Oct 15 2017 12:10pm
Quote (RewtheBrave @ Oct 15 2017 11:21am)
Keto uses ketone bodies to burn fat directly as fuel. That's why it's more efficient.

I agree that carbs aren't an enemy in themselves, but they create cravings and inflammation. Plus, in ketosis, people feel on average 50% more energy. So you feel better, cognition improves, and you burn fat more efficiently, plus you get less inflammation and cravings. Plus, people tend to eat more when they eat carbs, and this is because carbs (esp. simple carbs) aren't satiating. IIFYM is Broscience unless it involves a plan for micronutrient density. Otherwise, people will eat a bowl of ice cream and think it's just as healthy as eating a bowl of mixed greens salad with some olive oil.

Iifym just says that you'll lose and gain weight through energy balance and the macronutrient ratio is what determines the weight gained or lost. That's based on evidence not broscience. You won't burn fat in keto if you aren't in a calorie deficit the same as a normal diet. Obviously you can hit all your micros in a normal diet. You can also eat fruit on a normal diet so if you want to talk about health concerns it's already healthier than keto. You also don't get the bad breath that being in ketosis causes. If you're talking about extremes, both diets can be very unhealthy. Food choices are important on any diet you do for health purposes.

This post was edited by dark-soul on Oct 15 2017 12:30pm
Retired Moderator
Oct 15 2017 01:01pm
Quote (dark-soul @ 15 Oct 2017 14:10)
Iifym just says that you'll lose and gain weight through energy balance and the macronutrient ratio is what determines the weight gained or lost. That's based on evidence not broscience. You won't burn fat in keto if you aren't in a calorie deficit the same as a normal diet. Obviously you can hit all your micros in a normal diet. You can also eat fruit on a normal diet so if you want to talk about health concerns it's already healthier than keto. You also don't get the bad breath that being in ketosis causes. If you're talking about extremes, both diets can be very unhealthy. Food choices are important on any diet you do for health purposes.

You won't burn fat in keto if you aren't in a calorie deficit, but you will burn fat faster when you are in a deficit.

Calories in and calories out determine weight loss but that doesn't account for efficiency or targeting fat. I'm not arguing against IIFYM, but I am arguing that it is inherently less efficient than keto for fat loss. When I say that IIFYM is micronutrient poor, that is based on almost all of the IIFYM diet espoused in broscience or basic nutritional science. Basic nutritional science accounts for why most people in the US are fat and sick, or on their way to being fat and sick. It is only more advanced nutritional science (that is, the kind most but not all proponents of IIFYM espouse) which enables healthy diet choices. Keto isn't inherently better on micronutrient density, but when both types of diet are equally nutrient dense, keto wins for fat loss.

I don't recommend keto as a long-term diet, but I recommend it for fast, effective fat loss (3-6 weeks). You can't get the same results from IIFYM without bringing in cardio, fatigue, inflammation & cravings. Pairing keto and intermittent fasting and barbell training is the best bet unless you want to go with fat burner typed pre-workout and ruin your endocrine system.

[My recommended long-term diet for health is nutrient-dense, 80% vegetarian, 50%+ raw, and organic. The only diet that beats that formula in terms of compression of morbidity and longevity is to add fish, so long as the fish aren't contaminated with heavy metals or farm-raised with antibiotics.]

Put it this way:

Subject A does IIFYM, uses myfitnesspal with a 20-pound weight loss goal, and does 45m of cardio 3d per week.

Subject B does keto, uses myfitnesspal with a 20-pound weight loss goal, and does 45m of barbell training 3d per week.

Subject B wins the diet race, feels better, has less inflammation, and doesn't get loopy cravings. And gets a bit stronger.

Gold: 10,278.69
Oct 15 2017 02:33pm
wow Rew, I don't even..

You're seriously trying to compare two different diets, and having one diet setup with only cardio and the other with only barbell training? lmfao, no shit they're gonna get different results.

Apparently you're one of those guys who thinks IIFYM is all about finding a way to eat as much junk as possible while hitting macros. It's not. It's just not super restrictive and give people more freedom, which seems to be better for long term adherence.

And keto isn't superior to a standard caloric deficit when losing weight. Yeah you'll lose more weight, but not more fat (hint, water). I mean the claims you make, jeez.

Oh and IIFYM isn't science? Haha, you should check out the meal replacements being used in pretty much all studies.

I'm pretty much completely with dark-soul on his comments
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll