d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Car Audio > Car Audio Question
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.69
Oct 4 2017 03:30pm
Well. After just over almost 13-months of selling the only car I've ever been emotionally attached to, I've decided to finally at least do something to my new car.
I reluctantly bought this car from a family member. But being an 'adult' means you sometimes have to with your wallet.
*This is probably the only car that I've kept stock (Interior, Exterior, Audio and Performance wise). But there really isn't much reason/ability to do much to the car :cry:

My in Sept 2016.

My current car.

*Not my image, but the same car.

What I have:
Car- 2007 Toyota Prius. Stock everything.

What I got for free for working on a car:
Radio- Sony (MEX-GS610BT)
4-Channel Amp- Hifonics Brutus (BRX640.4)
Mono-Block Amp- Rockford Fosgate Prime (R500X1D)
Subwoofer- Rockford Fosgate Punch (8" Shallow Mount Subwoofer)
*Not entirely sure if the subwoofer is good is the only downside.

1. I think I need to replace the battery. It's an Optima YellowTop, but its date is (12/12).
2. Upgrade the ground wire coming off the battery regardless.
3. I will need to buy: power, ground, fuse holder, RCA cables. *I may just buy a KNUKonceptz kit, but I won't need that much power/ground as the battery is in the truck
4. I don't NEED to use the 4 channel AMP. I can just use the radio <_<
5. I can buy or make a sub box.

Okay, now the actual question/reason for this post.
I've dealt with cars and trucks when it comes to car audio, but I don't know how much different the electrical system of a Prius could be. Mainly the charging system, and what would happen if I added the additional draw to this 12v battery.

This post was edited by SKYE12977 on Oct 4 2017 03:34pm
Gold: 8,933.00
Oct 4 2017 08:21pm
Generally speaking, hybrid cars have dual electrical systems, one for propulsion and then a completely separate standard one for the normal palette of accessories like the radio, HVAC system, & instrument panel. You shouldn't experience any extraordinary problems doing normal car audio work in the 12V system.
Gold: 9,970.00
Oct 6 2017 01:12am
Sorry for your loss. I can't help but think of that south park episode with the Pious lmao.

On a serious note, I've heard some people have had poor experiences with installing certain audio equipment in hybrids (specifically 1000+ rms). You might be okay running that 500 and the sub though.
Gold: 0.45
Oct 6 2017 01:42am
Thats some decent shit for free :D But ya prius is unibody so should be able to make a nice ground anywhere...and that yellowtop is probably fked if it wasnt on a trickle charge the whole time i would add a tiny AGM kinetik or XS back there gel cell batterys go bad quick
Gold: 102.01
Oct 8 2017 02:38pm
If that deep cycle works fine then it should be more than enough to drive that system all day everyday even in a prius. The 8" Shallow Mount woofer is garbage, just go on SoundQubed.com and order yourself one of these http://www.soundqubed.com/Subwoofers-HDS2.1. The rest looks ok.
Gold: 0.69
Warn: 50%
Oct 8 2017 03:52pm
Dat nigga jesse bout to deep cycle yo girls shallow mount
Go Back To Car Audio Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll