d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo II > Diablo 2 Discussion > Are Your Items Safe? > Diablo 2 Maint
Prev123458Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 381.00
Trader: Trusted
Sep 29 2017 10:10am
jsp has a lot more to offer than just the d2 trading section. unfortunately, this could be an issue that haunts us for many years. i'd rather not see jsp down that long too.

example: let's say i bought an item from someone many months ago. it's a legit item.
now i am trying to sell this item, and you bought it.
many months later... the guy i bought that item from logs-in and notices extra characters and items. he doesn't know what's going on, he's been gone for months.
he plays for a week or so with no troubles.
you enter a few baal run games while he happens to be playing. your item that you bought from me, now poofs.

any middle-manning of items in the past, present, and future. now puts you at risk of selling UaP unknowingly.
Gold: 31.00
Sep 29 2017 10:29am
Quote (tagged4nothing @ Sep 29 2017 11:10am)
jsp has a lot more to offer than just the d2 trading section. unfortunately, this could be an issue that haunts us for many years. i'd rather not see jsp down that long too.

example: let's say i bought an item from someone many months ago. it's a legit item.
now i am trying to sell this item, and you bought it.
many months later... the guy i bought that item from logs-in and notices extra characters and items. he doesn't know what's going on, he's been gone for months.
he plays for a week or so with no troubles.
you enter a few baal run games while he happens to be playing. your item that you bought from me, now poofs.

any middle-manning of items in the past, present, and future. now puts you at risk of selling UaP unknowingly.

Pro tip: Blizzard doesn’t want you using this site to trade. So they don’t care.
Gold: 9,715.81
Sep 29 2017 10:31am
also this will slow down trades in general. who will want to buy top items if they could possibly poof?
and if you think it further users could try to scam not only by selling "copies" but by saying their precious 20k item poofed and they want their fg back.. no way to proof otherwise

i for one will be paranoid and only buy budget from users i trust
Gold: 23,001.97
Sep 29 2017 10:46am
Quote (tagged4nothing @ 29 Sep 2017 02:42)
after this last maintenance, i'm sure a lot of you will be curious as to what is really happening around them.
if you don't know, many deleted characters from diablo 2 were rolled back into existence. seemingly, a lot of these characters were rolled back far enough that they are re-stocked with old gear that they have long since sold/xfere'd/deleted.
this means quite a few "copies" of items now exist.

now let me tell you why this is so scary. first, please do keep in mind that there is no difference between original and copy. they are both original, they are both copies.

example: you purchased an item. doesn't matter how you paid for it, the big thing is that you now have an "item". it has been 8 months since you've purchased this item and have had no issues.
you might now start having an issue. it is possible that the person that sold you this item, had his account rolled back. now both of you have the same item.

blizz has a few protocols for identifying and erasing copies. the most known being a "clash" in-game. this works as blizz does a check with each save/exit.
however, this is not the only protocol. there are lesser known server checks that will clash items in games sharing the same server number. this means, you can be clashed at any time, anywhere. the "item" you bought 8 months ago, now has a possibility of having a copy in existence.
i've also heard a game can hop along different servers if it's up for a long period of time. i have not tested this myself, but if this is true. it would mean you are doing more random clashes in longer existing games.

trade carefully. if you care about other people you've traded with at all, get rid of any items you sold to someone and got back from this. you could very well end up clashing the other out of existence.

good luck everyone. i'd suggest not going "all-in" on items right now.

Well said bro , now Blizz screwd the game.even more :(

This post was edited by KuDjoKorn on Sep 29 2017 10:46am
Sep 29 2017 11:01am
Quote (KuDjoKorn @ Sep 29 2017 11:46am)
Well said bro , now Blizz screwd the game.even more :(

Uh no? Dupers, hackers and third party trading ruined the game. The game would’ve had a lot more longevity if hard-to-get items like the high end runewords were actually hard to get, and if the economy wasn’t devestated by people trading outside of the actual game.

Doing data migration 10+ years after the game’s prime has little to no impact compared to the above.
Gold: 50.00
Sep 29 2017 11:15am
You guys forget though:
It seems as there were no deleted or expired ACCOUNTS restored. So if people were gone for more than 3 (?) months, their accs + chars + items wont come back, so possible dupes of these wont happen.
Am I right?

RIGHT?!?!
Gold: 50.00
Sep 29 2017 11:16am
Quote (Relm @ Sep 29 2017 05:29pm)
Pro tip: Blizzard doesn’t want you using this site to trade. So they don’t care.

this problem doesnt affect only jsp but ingame-trades as well :rolleyes:

This post was edited by Argand on Sep 29 2017 11:16am
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Sep 29 2017 11:24am
Quote (Argand @ 29 Sep 2017 18:15)
You guys forget though:
It seems as there were no deleted or expired ACCOUNTS restored. So if people were gone for more than 3 (?) months, their accs + chars + items wont come back, so possible dupes of these wont happen.
Am I right?

RIGHT?!?!

even if i hate you,

i can tell you one thing: My Pala of my oldest accs, which was expired but i didnt deleted, is resotred (not expired anymore) and all items are there...
Sep 29 2017 11:25am
Quote (Argand @ Sep 29 2017 12:16pm)
this problem doesnt affect only jsp but ingame-trades as well :rolleyes:

When’s the last time you traded in-game for items?
Gold: 381.00
Trader: Trusted
Sep 29 2017 11:35am
Quote (Relm @ Sep 29 2017 12:01pm)
Uh no? Dupers, hackers and third party trading ruined the game. The game would’ve had a lot more longevity if hard-to-get items like the high end runewords were actually hard to get, and if the economy wasn’t devestated by people trading outside of the actual game.

Doing data migration 10+ years after the game’s prime has little to no impact compared to the above.

to be fair, this game has been heavily modded by many. without any actual content added, and still has a decent sized community behind it.
i can't say things are better or worse than they could have been. a lot of these items being exploited are perfect or near perfect stats. buyers help made this game into what it is because... we want perfection. or maybe at least an enigma on ladder.

i am not even fully aware of how large an issue this merge is yet. i'm sure a lot of people are even afraid to log-in and check some top dollar items right now, knowing there "could" now be a copy to clash it each time they exit.

i believe this was just poor preparation for the maintenance myself. it put traders at risk but... most items you want in this game are runewords. they need to re-write how this game works to actually profit from it.
you can't sell high lvl runes with micro-transactions if it doesn't matter if the rune is perm or not. since you only need an easy to find base or unsocketed item to use these runes, i can't see this being intentional for future profit.

Quote (Argand @ Sep 29 2017 12:15pm)
You guys forget though:
Am I right?

RIGHT?!?!

all i can tell you... when i try to log-in to some old expired accounts, it's now telling me the password is wrong. (i don't remember them, so ya)
prior to this, it was telling me the accounts didn't exist. someone might be mad if i re-obtained my old necro i was scammed out of.
the acct names were a bit obscure, but still fathomable someone else might make them. if that makes sense

This post was edited by tagged4nothing on Sep 29 2017 11:39am
Go Back To Diablo 2 Discussion Topic List
Prev123458Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll