d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Motor Sports & Cars > Looking For A New Car
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,118.35
Sep 4 2017 04:56pm
I guess this is the only relevant sub

Anyways, I'm looking for an upgrade and I'm tossing up between a

2013 Suzuki SX4 (compact SUV)

And a brand new Honda Civic

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about dealing with car dealerships // depreciation rates // loans // these cars/brands
Gold: 8,933.00
Sep 4 2017 06:59pm
Suzukis aren't very high on resale, for good reason. Between the two, buy the Honda.

That said, cars are generally not investments. They are tools.
Gold: 2,118.35
Sep 4 2017 07:10pm
Quote (Santara @ Sep 5 2017 10:59am)
Suzukis aren't very high on resale, for good reason. Between the two, buy the Honda.

That said, cars are generally not investments. They are tools.

Yeah not looking at is as an investment. Moreso after the one with the least worst return :P

Good to know though.

I read that as soon as a car leaves the lot it loses 9-10% value. Would it be safe to assume each year/15-20,000 ks it loses another 9-10% value?

E/
Why do suzukis have poor resale value? I'm in Aus so it might be a little different here. Still curious nonetheless.

This post was edited by Lil_Gueto on Sep 4 2017 07:30pm
Sep 4 2017 08:58pm
Quote (Lil_Gueto @ Sep 4 2017 08:10pm)
Yeah not looking at is as an investment. Moreso after the one with the least worst return :P

Good to know though.

I read that as soon as a car leaves the lot it loses 9-10% value. Would it be safe to assume each year/15-20,000 ks it loses another 9-10% value?

E/
Why do suzukis have poor resale value? I'm in Aus so it might be a little different here. Still curious nonetheless.

For least worst return, compare the estimated residual values from lease turn ins. Generally speaking, the more in-demand and reliable a car is, the better its lease turn in value will be, which is an excellent indicator of quality and market anticipation.

http://www.truecar.com/blog/2012/12/06/truecar-and-alg-reveal-new-car-residual-values/

Suzuki is simply not sought-after, much less a notable nameplate for reliability, so it would be a poor "investment." Hondas generally earn top marks for both.
Gold: 9,970.00
Sep 8 2017 06:23pm
Generalized breakdown for cars

German: Fun as hell to drive, expensive to own (purchase and maintenance), normal to poor reliability

American: Generally normal to poor reliability, generally inexpensive to repair

honda/toyota/nissan: generally normal to high reliability, more expensive to fix than american, less expensive to fix than german. higher driving performance generally than american, but less than german.

prognosis: if you can afford it, german cars are a blast. If you are looking for something that will get you around for a while and isn't outrageously expensive consider one of the 3 japanese brands above. If you are looking for something that pretty much any mechanic can fix, go for american (GM/Ford)
Gold: 2,848.72
Warn: 80%
Sep 9 2017 09:11pm
Oversized can, you loose :)
Gold: 1,168.00
Sep 10 2017 02:39am
Quote (Santara @ Sep 4 2017 08:58pm)
For least worst return, compare the estimated residual values from lease turn ins. Generally speaking, the more in-demand and reliable a car is, the better its lease turn in value will be, which is an excellent indicator of quality and market anticipation.

http://www.truecar.com/blog/2012/12/06/truecar-and-alg-reveal-new-car-residual-values/

Suzuki is simply not sought-after, much less a notable nameplate for reliability, so it would be a poor "investment." Hondas generally earn top marks for both.

hey bud. here is what I can tell ya. my dad has been a new/used car dealer at major lots for over 10 years.

buy used, even if its under a year old. people buy new and decide they don't like it and trade it in for something else. you will save a few grand. if money is not an issue and you are looking for a car to baby for years to come; buy new.

when shopping for a used car, buy it either from a private party, after a mechanic you trust has checked it out. or find one at a major new/used car dealer that has been on their lot for over 90 days. once a car hits 90 days on a car lot the dealership will be willing to haggle over it. 90 days is the benchmark for when a dealer gets hella desperate to sell the car. most big/reputable dealerships will give you a carfax report, the report will show you when they first offered the car up for sale. 90 days after that date, they will be totally down to haggle and barter.

a tip: the carfax or autocheck report will allegedy show the cars history. they will claim to show any "accidents reported to them".... car insurance companies do not report to them. what shows up on carfax and autocheck reports is when a police officer is called to the scene of an accident. what im saying is the car may have a "clean" carfax or autocheck and still have an accident history, but if the police were not called the history will likely not have been reported to carfax or autocheck. I know that from experience.

please pardon any typos as I am on a new laptop and typing in the dark. if you have questions shoot me a pm. I do not check jsp regularly but I will gladly help in any way I can.

edit: when it simply comes to brand.... you cant go wrong with Toyota, Nissan, Honda.... and Ford is a very good company. when the auto industry died in the us, the only American company to NOT take a gov bailout was ford. stay away from german shit(other than super basic VW cars) because when the warranty runs out they can have annoying electrical issues. whatever you buy, see if you can extend the Manufacturer warranty. follow maint. schedules and pray for a good car.

This post was edited by PopLockin on Sep 10 2017 02:45am
Sep 12 2017 07:31pm
Quote (PopLockin @ Sep 10 2017 03:39am)
hey bud. here is what I can tell ya. my dad has been a new/used car dealer at major lots for over 10 years.

buy used, even if its under a year old. people buy new and decide they don't like it and trade it in for something else. you will save a few grand. if money is not an issue and you are looking for a car to baby for years to come; buy new.

when shopping for a used car, buy it either from a private party, after a mechanic you trust has checked it out. or find one at a major new/used car dealer that has been on their lot for over 90 days. once a car hits 90 days on a car lot the dealership will be willing to haggle over it. 90 days is the benchmark for when a dealer gets hella desperate to sell the car. most big/reputable dealerships will give you a carfax report, the report will show you when they first offered the car up for sale. 90 days after that date, they will be totally down to haggle and barter.

a tip: the carfax or autocheck report will allegedy show the cars history. they will claim to show any "accidents reported to them".... car insurance companies do not report to them. what shows up on carfax and autocheck reports is when a police officer is called to the scene of an accident. what im saying is the car may have a "clean" carfax or autocheck and still have an accident history, but if the police were not called the history will likely not have been reported to carfax or autocheck. I know that from experience.

please pardon any typos as I am on a new laptop and typing in the dark. if you have questions shoot me a pm. I do not check jsp regularly but I will gladly help in any way I can.

edit: when it simply comes to brand.... you cant go wrong with Toyota, Nissan, Honda.... and Ford is a very good company. when the auto industry died in the us, the only American company to NOT take a gov bailout was ford. stay away from german shit(other than super basic VW cars) because when the warranty runs out they can have annoying electrical issues. whatever you buy, see if you can extend the Manufacturer warranty. follow maint. schedules and pray for a good car.

...and I've been selling parts at new car dealers for 20 years. Your dad is right that used cars are generally better for limiting your depreciation hit in such major purchases. But that didn't really answer his question. He's likely going to lose most of his car's value with this particular used car compared with buying a new Civic.

The only reason Ford didn't fold in the market collapse like the rest of them is that they started their turnaround about 18 months prior to GM and Daimler-Chrysler doing so. They were saddled with the same massive legacy costs as the rest of them (they all negotiate with the UAW). They're really not any better of a company, and they did take bailout money, not to mention a ton of funding from that crappy program Cash for Clunkers. Lately, GM has been turning out a large share of the winners of JD Powers awards for quality, FYI.
Gold: 1.01
Warn: 50%
Sep 13 2017 05:40am
I like hondas, easy to work on everything yourself...unless it's brand new.

Get an older one bruh, more upgrade options too

New cars always break down or have some stupid issue, any year Honda civic is gold.

This post was edited by theoneguff on Sep 13 2017 05:41am
Gold: 554.69
Sep 13 2017 12:21pm
I have a 2016 Honda Civic that I bought new... Fuckin' love it. :)
Go Back To Motor Sports & Cars Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll