d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Not Sure Where To Post This... Need (excel?) Help
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 48.00
Aug 16 2017 04:59pm
So I'm trying to set up a database to help me with one of my games... In it, you equip your monsters with runes (slots 1-6) instead of equipment. I want to set up a database so I can put in all my rune's information and have it tell me what runes have the best combination of stats for a specific slot, or what my best stats are for a specific slot and set (For example, how much speed does my best slot 3 speed set rune have? Or how much crit rate/attack/crit damage does my best slot 1 crit rate rune have? etc.)

There's also a bunch of different types of runes (equip 2-4 of the same type of rune on a monster for a bonus set effect), so I need to be able to filter/pull by that as well.

Also, not all stats have the same impact or roll in the same range (For example, crit rate can roll from 3-6 where attack can roll from 4-8), and different monsters need different stats at different values, so having some sort of scaling would be nice too (Ex: Find me the best CR+ATK runes might give me a 30% atk 0% cr rune, but if CR was valued at 1.25x of ATK then it'd be more likely to send back the best balanced rune). I could compare the scaling to some sort of input box tho, so that shouldn't be too much of a challenge.

I was hoping to be able to do this in Excel, but I'm not sure how I'd compare multiple stats for all the runes (since my account has ~ 800-1,000 runes I'm gonna have to put the stats in for). Help please? :D

This post was edited by Dragonkilla8 on Aug 16 2017 05:01pm
Gold: 445.00
Aug 16 2017 06:15pm
For starters, what language is your game written in?
Aug 16 2017 06:56pm
Quote (ROM @ Aug 16 2017 08:15pm)
For starters, what language is your game written in?

I'm not sure, nor am I interested in creating a program to get all the data for me (yet... I wanna get the functionality down first, then I can work on efficiency tools). I think it's either Java or C++ tho. For now, I just want a spreadsheet/database I can use to make these specific queries :) If possible I'd like to do it through Excel, but if I gotta use a different program or even write a program in VB or something then I could do that as well. Just not really sure where to start :O
Gold: 445.00
Aug 17 2017 04:08am
So then if the crux of the question is, can you use excel to store values, then the answer is yes.

C++, java, and python have functions can parse .xls.

I am sure you could manage this with VB but then your hands will be tied down the road.
Gold: 1.00
Aug 17 2017 11:14am
Quote (Dragonkilla8 @ Aug 16 2017 05:59pm)
So I'm trying to set up a database to help me with one of my games... In it, you equip your monsters with runes (slots 1-6) instead of equipment. I want to set up a database so I can put in all my rune's information and have it tell me what runes have the best combination of stats for a specific slot, or what my best stats are for a specific slot and set (For example, how much speed does my best slot 3 speed set rune have? Or how much crit rate/attack/crit damage does my best slot 1 crit rate rune have? etc.)

There's also a bunch of different types of runes (equip 2-4 of the same type of rune on a monster for a bonus set effect), so I need to be able to filter/pull by that as well.

Also, not all stats have the same impact or roll in the same range (For example, crit rate can roll from 3-6 where attack can roll from 4-8), and different monsters need different stats at different values, so having some sort of scaling would be nice too (Ex: Find me the best CR+ATK runes might give me a 30% atk 0% cr rune, but if CR was valued at 1.25x of ATK then it'd be more likely to send back the best balanced rune). I could compare the scaling to some sort of input box tho, so that shouldn't be too much of a challenge.

I was hoping to be able to do this in Excel, but I'm not sure how I'd compare multiple stats for all the runes (since my account has ~ 800-1,000 runes I'm gonna have to put the stats in for). Help please? :D

Thought I was the only one to utilize Excel for gaming purposes lol
Aug 18 2017 08:43pm
Quote (Saltburn @ Aug 17 2017 01:14pm)
Thought I was the only one to utilize Excel for gaming purposes lol

I have more gaming spreadsheets then I'd care to count :( Lol, just can't figure out how to get this one working right >.<
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll