d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Google Making The Internet A Better Place > For Conversations
Prev123456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: Locked
Warn: 60%
Aug 16 2017 08:03am
Quote (Skinned @ Aug 16 2017 09:58am)
As long as business is allowed to behave unfettered they will behave as amoebas.

good post friend i feel the same government intervention of any kind hurts the free market and creates monopolies, when intel used its superior place in the market to leverage OEM's by paying them hundreds of millions of dollars to use their inferior hardware over amd's superior athlon chips last decade which was great for the consumers and market as a whole that was just survival of the fittest. if AMD wasn't so small and irrelevant they could have paid OEM's more to use their product. it remained unfettered for years as it should be because corporate sabotage is just another form of competition

when google or anyone else trying to censor the internet makes the websites these terrorists and civil unrest advocates would create to voice their anti-american sentiments hard to find or otherwise limit their exposure to any extent to the general populace using the internet, that is the truly free market at work.

This post was edited by DCSS on Aug 16 2017 08:05am
Gold: 285.00
Aug 16 2017 08:07am
Quote (DCSS @ Aug 16 2017 09:03am)
good post friend i feel the same government intervention of any kind hurts the free market and creates monopolies, when intel used its superior place in the market to leverage OEM's by paying them hundreds of millions of dollars to use their inferior hardware over amd's superior athlon chips last decade which was great for the consumers and market as a whole that was just survival of the fittest. if AMD wasn't so small and irrelevant they could have paid OEM's more to use their product. it remained unfettered for years as it should be because corporate sabotage is just another form of competition

when google or anyone else trying to censor the internet makes the websites these terrorists and civil unrest advocates would create to voice their anti-american sentiments hard to find or otherwise limit their exposure to any extent to the general populace using the internet, that is the truly free market at work.

I'm actually a libertarian and believe that the producers of commodities should be the government itself, because the only reason the police should exist is to protect private property.
Gold: 500.00
Aug 16 2017 11:44am
Quote (sir_lance_bb @ Aug 16 2017 08:56am)
A private business using infrastructure that was paid for by public money.

The vast majority of infrastructure that makes up the Internet was paid for by taxes.

ISP's give oil companies a run for their money with greed. They aren't willing to put forth any investment and are perfectly fine charging people absurd costs when the costs aren't there from any justification of overhead but rather because they can.

can vouch, worked in telecom for several years and they're still mad they lost long distance calling revenue
Gold: Locked
Aug 16 2017 12:00pm
Quote (Skinned @ Aug 16 2017 07:07am)
I'm actually a libertarian and believe that the producers of commodities should be the government itself, because the only reason the police should exist is to protect private property.

Gold: 745.69
Aug 16 2017 12:10pm
I don't need and/or want anyone to tell me what content I will find acceptable. I'm a big boy and I can handle words on the internet, even if they're not nice. In fact, I specifically desire to see dissent because there's nothing of value to be gained in a room full of people agreeing with each other.
Gold: 22,189.49
Aug 16 2017 12:20pm
Quote (Bazi @ Aug 16 2017 05:25am)
Scary implications

I think the trend has already started, its no longer speculative.
Gold: 1.00
Warn: 10%
Aug 16 2017 12:46pm
Quote (Goomshill @ Aug 16 2017 02:20pm)
I think the trend has already started, its no longer speculative.

Yes, YouTube is a prime example of this. Its starting to sensor out and demonetize views it does not agree with. Its also planning to alter search functions so if you type something it deems negative, it will show you thinks against that view rather than anything that supports it.

I hope that other major platforms will arise as a result of this.

This post was edited by wesley123 on Aug 16 2017 12:48pm
Gold: 0.69
Warn: 50%
Aug 16 2017 12:51pm
Quote (wesley123 @ Aug 16 2017 03:16pm)
Yes, YouTube is a prime example of this. Its starting to sensor out and demonetize views it does not agree with. Its also planning to alter search functions so if you type something it deems negative, it will show you thinks against that view rather than anything that supports it.

I hope that other major platforms will arise as a result of this.

Yep youtubes gonna make it where you will have to know the url to see specific videos or dig to page 100s

Wouldnt surprise me if another video streamer site rises up
Gold: 0.00
Aug 16 2017 12:54pm
google kinda has monopoly on the search engines (although i've heard some good things about bing etc) because it has the most websites crawled or something. It basically has a bigger database of stuff so in a sense it becomes irreplaceable
Gold: 1.00
Warn: 10%
Aug 16 2017 01:06pm
Quote (Tuna_BeIIy @ Aug 16 2017 02:51pm)
Yep youtubes gonna make it where you will have to know the url to see specific videos or dig to page 100s

Wouldnt surprise me if another video streamer site rises up

I would like that. The problem is that politics are only part of youtube. There is so many other areas , music/gaming/fitness/DIY/nature/etc. that probably won't get impacted to nearly the same degree. To have people start shifting from a well established platform when there is no reason to does not make sense.

As a result only political sensitive things would need to shift and that would make it difficult to have a fully sustained site just for politics not to mention why would anyone that YouTube has deemed acceptable (left wing views) move to this new platform. It would only result in a right-wing video site which would just be targeted by the bigger players with the usual buzzwords until any advertisers moved away due to fear of it negatively impacting their product sales.

Id like to see people revolt from both sides saying no, free speech is free speech period. But clearly that won't happen, people are to far up their own asses.

This post was edited by wesley123 on Aug 16 2017 01:06pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev123456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll