d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Charlottesville Chaos
Prev1234521Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 9,106.00
Aug 12 2017 01:46pm
Quote (sylvannos @ Aug 12 2017 12:25pm)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/fights-in-advance-of-saturday-protest-in-charlottesville/2017/08/12/155fb636-7f13-11e7-83c7-5bd5460f0d7e_story.html?utm_term=.ab501b8d0809

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/12/us/charlottesville-white-nationalists-rally/index.html

So a group of white nationalists, KKK, and neo Nazis descend upon a left-leaning town to "protest" a democratically decided decision of said town to remove Confederate monuments. They then drive a car through a crowd of counter-protesters, an act which is condemned by right-wing leader, President Donald Trump.

Traitors and anti-Americans, the lot of them. Antifa should have been given permission to open fire on these fascists like the scum they are. The police, it seems, are at least being competent in all of this by going after those Hitler worshipping little shits.

Last i checked it was the other side with AR-15's.

As a foreign born American that honestly shares no identity with these "white nationalists" i feel for them. The white washing of history is good for no one. When i travel down to southern cities i like to see monuments of various kinds. When i see a monument of Lee or some other historical southern figure, i don't think: "here's a symbol of white supremacy" i just like to read the the inscription, look at the monument and move on.
Gold: 2,004.41
Aug 12 2017 01:48pm
HE
CAN'T
KEEP
GETTING
AWAY
WITH
IT

Gold: 253.00
Aug 12 2017 01:54pm
Quote (balrog66 @ Aug 12 2017 02:15pm)
Put the perp in Guantanamo. It's what the place was made for right?

After conviction strap the perp to a chair or gurney and throw the switch.
Gold: 83.30
Aug 12 2017 01:56pm
Mayor has confirmed a death:

I am heartbroken that a life has been lost here. I urge all people of good will--go home.

https://twitter.com/MikeSigner/status/896450387783372802

On the historical significance: This statue was put there in the early 20th century, which is too late to be considered monumental imo. There are some historical sites of events that happened later (Auschwitz etc.), but they have more significance than a military leader.

This post was edited by balrog66 on Aug 12 2017 01:58pm
Gold: 0.00
Aug 12 2017 02:01pm
Quote (Sakuraba @ Aug 12 2017 11:39am)
show me where they were trying to forcefully overturn a democratic decision?

Quote (Goomshill @ Aug 12 2017 11:41am)
They have a right to protest taking down the statue.

The part where they rammed a fucking car through a group of people doesn't seem out of place to you?

Quote (ofthevoid @ Aug 12 2017 11:46am)
Last i checked it was the other side with AR-15's.

As a foreign born American that honestly shares no identity with these "white nationalists" i feel for them. The white washing of history is good for no one. When i travel down to southern cities i like to see monuments of various kinds. When i see a monument of Lee or some other historical southern figure, i don't think: "here's a symbol of white supremacy" i just like to read the the inscription, look at the monument and move on.

The white washing of history is why the statues are being taken down. The entire Confederacy was behind white supremacy and slavery. This includes slave-owning, white man's burden Robert E. Lee.

These monuments play a false narrative that's revisionist, that somehow succession was based on state's rights. That's not the case as we have letters, copies of speeches, etc. of Confederate leaders explicitly stating they were upset over not being able to own people.

It's awfully telling how so many on the right are willing to sympathize more with literal Nazis than the victims of a terrorist attack.
Gold: 9,106.00
Aug 12 2017 02:04pm
Quote (balrog66 @ Aug 12 2017 12:56pm)
Mayor has confirmed a death:

https://twitter.com/MikeSigner/status/896450387783372802

On the historical significance: This statue was put there in the early 20th century, which istoo late to be considered monumentalimo. There are some historical sites of events that happened later (Auschwitz etc.), but they have more significance than a military leader.

Lol what?

A monument is a monument whether it was erected 10 years ago or 100 years ago.

The civil war is a shaping moment in American History. Outside of Abe i can't think of another more iconic figure than Lee during the war. Not only that but he was a very good general from what i read in my Yankee history books back in my high school days. His maneuvers are still studied at military academies all over the states, he's a pretty significant historical figure regardless of fighting on the confederate side.

Quote (sylvannos @ Aug 12 2017 01:01pm)
The part where they rammed a fucking car through a group of people doesn't seem out of place to you?

The white washing of history is why the statues are being taken down. The entire Confederacy was behind white supremacy and slavery. This includes slave-owning, white man's burden Robert E. Lee.

These monuments play a false narrative that's revisionist, that somehow succession was based on state's rights. That's not the case as we have letters, copies of speeches, etc. of Confederate leaders explicitly stating they were upset over not being able to own people.

It's awfully telling how so many on the right are willing to sympathize more with literal Nazis than the victims of a terrorist attack.

Put more words in my mouth. Violence is bad no matter what. As an outsider i just think getting rid of every little vestige of history that you don't like is too 1984 esque for me.

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Aug 12 2017 02:06pm
Gold: 253.00
Aug 12 2017 02:04pm
Quote (sylvannos @ Aug 12 2017 03:01pm)

Please link me where investigators have determined it was the right wing protestors that drove the car into the left wing counter protesters? Both groups where well within their rights to be there today, and both groups have a legitimate grievance. The only person outside their rights is the one that showed up today ramming a car into people.

Gold: 2,004.41
Aug 12 2017 02:05pm
Quote (sylvannos @ Aug 12 2017 02:01pm)

We don't know that to be the case as of now. Reports are currently saying police don't believe the driver was malicious, but scared because protestors hit his car (of course these could change) Regardless, this incident happened after the rally/protest. They had a federal permit to assemble and protest, and funny enough, the backing of the ACLU. The police ran them out early, hours before this happened.
Gold: 22,189.49
Aug 12 2017 02:12pm
24 hours from now the dead will still be dead, the living will still be living, and more facts will be in on the guy who was already apparently identified and/or arrested and his motives
The rush to jump to conclusions and bludgeon ones political foes with the corpses before they're even cold is wrong. There will be plenty of time for that in coming days if it was a terrorist attack by the right, which is sure what it looks like to me.
Gold: 0.69
Warn: 50%
Aug 12 2017 02:16pm
Quote (Goomshill @ Aug 12 2017 04:42pm)
24 hours from now the dead will still be dead, the living will still be living, and more facts will be in on the guy who was already apparently identified and/or arrested and his motives
The rush to jump to conclusions and bludgeon ones political foes with the corpses before they're even cold is wrong. There will be plenty of time for that in coming days if it was a terrorist attack by the right, which is sure what it looks like to me.

He was just confused by the laws, he thought the people he ran over were infidel
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1234521Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll