d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Motor Sports & Cars > Want A New Chevy Camaro V6: Dealership Tips?
Prev12349Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 3.75
Aug 10 2017 06:52pm
Quote (Canadian_Man @ Aug 10 2017 05:54pm)
Idk, I just don't trust people. New has enough problems statistically as it is ahaha -- had so many bad new purchases related to camera gear and computers.

That and say 85% of the car value is in the first 200,000km.

Without doing more thorough math, 10,000km on a 35,000 after tax car is worth $1,500 just in km's. That's not factoring in other things like value of the first km's being more than the latter km's, and reassurance that the car is good.

I'd value 10,000 km's used as about $6,000 of a $35,000 car. So it's a bit of a wash. I know leasing for 10,000km would be cheaper, but my values are derived from a much more limited pool of income and exposure.

I totally understand the buy used approach. It makes a lot of sense. I just like sticking with a car for a long time and feel new mitigates what-if anxiety thoughts. What I don't understand is the "go v8 or go home" attitude, and other elitist things I hear -- I'm not racing or doing burnouts, v6 sounds nicer than v8 imo as well more streamlined less sloppy roar, and who the hell needs enhanced aerodynamics to stay on the road at triple the speed limit?!??

taken care of i bet the v8 would out live the v6 anyhow i see them run around here with 200K+ miles all the time
Gold: 1,363.36
Aug 10 2017 07:59pm
Ugly ass car, get a fusion instead
Gold: 125.00
Aug 10 2017 08:35pm
Quote (night_throne @ Aug 10 2017 05:52pm)
taken care of i bet the v8 would out live the v6 anyhow i see them run around here with 200K+ miles all the time

At $45,000, it's too far out of my reach. Plus, there's no fudging numbers, the v8 would mean about $260 to $400 more in fuel costs per year, and about the same amount of insurance premiums extra per year. That comes to $520 to $800 more per year just to operate the vehicle. Over 6 years, that would be about $4800 more.

I mean if you compare the sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrs0oa-XIV4 <-- v6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJcjCwiZLqs <-- v8

The v8 sounds meaner, louder, faster. That's the plus side. The downside: You know when you take someone's voice, and speed it up, it sounds higher pitch and faster... and when you slow it down, it sounds lower pitch & slower? The v6 camaro sounds like the regular voice, a good voice... the v8 camaro sounds like you took the v6 camaro, and deepened the sound. Loose and low, not tight and low. Again, it's not bad, it's just not for me -- the v6 is the sound I like. Another big thing is when I'm on the road, I don't want to look or sound like an asshat (to normal people, I don't care about car enthusiasts). The v8 is lower and lowder, and so even if I accelerate at the exact same speed as the v6 (not fully flooring it), I'll draw more attention and make more noise. The v6, however, just hits that sweetspot. And the 4 cyl... it sounds bit bitchy, and kicks in at 3000 rpm's which means I'll also sound like a dick when I want to enjoy the HP in the engine, because I'll have to floor it to get the turbo going every single time.

Also, performance-wise, I don't know why I'd need to shave 0.2 seconds off a 0-60. Past about 87 miles/hour (140km/hour), I don't care about acceleration speeds -- I don't really go faster than that. I mean I wouldn't want the engine to struggle at that speed, but neither a v6 or v8 would.

I imagine people who say "v8 or you're a bitch" are one of two things:
- Kids who can't afford the v8 anyway.
or
- Kids who go to those car meetups / similar stuff, and love to compare & race their cars.

Quote (Subban @ Aug 10 2017 06:59pm)
Ugly ass car, get a fusion instead

Y tho? It's only $6500 CAD cheaper, and the interior is functional, but it's just... functional. Nothing fun about it, beyond not being a used crap car.

This post was edited by Canadian_Man on Aug 10 2017 08:40pm
Gold: 1,322,460.00
Aug 11 2017 05:26am
Quote (CuttingEdge @ Aug 10 2017 07:16pm)
That's pretty silly, no cars in the world are beat on harder than rentals and leases.

Have some common sense when you buy and you'll be fine.

Here's your options:
Loaded diesels are over 80k now.
I can get a 10-15m old truck for under 60k blindfolded. It still is under warranty, if someone beat on something to the point of breakage while I own it, I'm going to know before that warranty is out. What's the biggest downside? I'm out my truck for a week and get a loaner instead?

Here's another example. I just bought a 2016 Impala a month ago. It had 8k miles and I paid 16.5k for it. What's the worst that happens? It completely eat's itself and I buy another one for the same price and still come out ahead of buying a new one?

The ONLY reason I ever buy anything new is when I put it under the company and use it for a write off.

Lastly, While I understand people beat on rentals, they also have some of the best maintenance schedules out there.
Gold: 95.99
Warn: 20%
Aug 11 2017 06:47am
Quote (jimmyhoud @ Aug 11 2017 03:26am)
Have some common sense when you buy and you'll be fine.

Here's your options:
Loaded diesels are over 80k now.
I can get a 10-15m old truck for under 60k blindfolded. It still is under warranty, if someone beat on something to the point of breakage while I own it, I'm going to know before that warranty is out. What's the biggest downside? I'm out my truck for a week and get a loaner instead?

Here's another example. I just bought a 2016 Impala a month ago. It had 8k miles and I paid 16.5k for it. What's the worst that happens? It completely eat's itself and I buy another one for the same price and still come out ahead of buying a new one?

The ONLY reason I ever buy anything new is when I put it under the company and use it for a write off.

Lastly, While I understand people beat on rentals, they also have some of the best maintenance schedules out there.

I paid 67k for my fully loaded f350.

Only package I don't have is Plati, because it's like 6 stacks for a chrome tailgate and worthless air bladder "massager" in the seats.

To be fair though, my truck was selected for testing, and I feel like they damaged it because it was MIA for like 7 months. I bitched enough until they dropped 10k off the sticker :rofl:

But like you mentioned, company vehicle, write-off.
Aug 11 2017 07:41am
Quote (CuttingEdge @ Aug 11 2017 07:47am)
I paid 67k for my fully loaded f350.

Only package I don't have is Plati, because it's like 6 stacks for a chrome tailgate and worthless air bladder "massager" in the seats.

To be fair though, my truck was selected for testing, and I feel like they damaged it because it was MIA for like 7 months. I bitched enough until they dropped 10k off the sticker :rofl:

But like you mentioned, company vehicle, write-off.

I gave 55.9 for the wife's laramie limited 2500 last year and it had 10.3k on it. Sticker was 81.9 so probably bought out at ~70-75k depending on who and what deals were out.

I personally can't justify taking that hit on these trucks. If we were talking a tiny car for 22k out the door new then whatever but to lose 15-20k in a 10-15 month period is a little absurd.
Aug 11 2017 10:49am
Quote (jimmyhoud @ Aug 11 2017 05:41am)
I gave 55.9 for the wife's laramie limited 2500 last year and it had 10.3k on it. Sticker was 81.9 so probably bought out at ~70-75k depending on who and what deals were out.

I personally can't justify taking that hit on these trucks. If we were talking a tiny car for 22k out the door new then whatever but to lose 15-20k in a 10-15 month period is a little absurd.

Yeah I guess its different when its making you money. That 15k loss is nothing compared to the 150k post expenses ill have made from that truck. With a worry free warrantee. Or what i thought was worry free. Im learning that most Ford techs were homeless or something when Ford hired them, fucking idiots.

There's 1 competent tech at my dealership, and he's fucking on strike right now......
Aug 11 2017 11:03am
Quote (CuttingEdge @ Aug 11 2017 11:49am)
Yeah I guess its different when its making you money. That 15k loss is nothing compared to the 150k post expenses ill have made from that truck. With a worry free warrantee. Or what i thought was worry free. Im learning that most Ford techs were homeless or something when Ford hired them, fucking idiots.

There's 1 competent tech at my dealership, and he's fucking on strike right now......

Build a relationship with your dealership. I get all my "warranty" parts free and do the labor myself here. Truck obviously goes in pre parts order and post labor for their records. But yes, most tech's are flunkies.
Aug 11 2017 11:29am
Quote (jimmyhoud @ Aug 11 2017 09:03am)
Build a relationship with your dealership. I get all my "warranty" parts free and do the labor myself here. Truck obviously goes in pre parts order and post labor for their records. But yes, most tech's are flunkies.

I've been trying, the service manager likes me we bullshit all the time. But the GM doesn't like me because I made a joke a few months back when I was dropping off 3 lemon law buybacks to him about how Ford sucks. Obviously a joke, considering a specifically bought a Ford. From them even... Everyone else was dying, but since that day he's been very short and borderline rude with me :rofl:

But that's fine, ill probably taking my business elsewhere when I buy 2 more trucks come late winter. So his loss.
Aug 11 2017 12:19pm
Depending on how your dealer is set you might have to go over his head.

I'm tight with the owner so that's how I got it set up. I don't even know the GM's last name.
Go Back To Motor Sports & Cars Topic List
Prev12349Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll