d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Other Games > World of Warcraft > Dh Or Mage? Pros And Cons?
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Aug 1 2017 08:31pm
What are the differences in playstyle?

Which would be a better main (focus pvp casual pve)?

What is likely to always be good? DPS wise i mean.

What made you pick one over the other?

e/ A little about me.

I like high burst and high outplay potential
I like flashy abilities
I have a slight bit of OCD or something, so if I know my class is not in a good spot I cannot enjoy the game
I like high mobility
I like high mechanical skill instead of having to focus on 12393721 things at once, I like having good muscle memory on fewer things

This post was edited by dark-diabla on Aug 1 2017 08:33pm
Gold: 15.00
Aug 1 2017 08:51pm
based on your about me, i'd pick mage
Aug 2 2017 01:15am
I personally like when more than half the people I encounter bag on DH as a class in general, then showing them how good of a class it really is.
I like to solo world content, and if needed, solo mythic 15+ bosses after the rest of the team wiped.
I like to double jump and glide, especially before flight release.
I love how mobile DH can be, with the leaps, dashes, and gliding. A tank can literally climb its way up almost any mountain with edges to stand on.
I love how I can press 3 buttons in full survival tank, and out damage some dps in aoe fights.
I enjoy short queue, and consecutive queues right after the other ended. Frequently with little bonus for those daily/weeklies, and whenever you're bored.
I like to give instructions for raid boss strategy for those who are unfaimilar with it, as I recognize lots of the mechanics affecting the dps while I'm just whacking away as a tank.
I enjoy being the only person in a PvP match to go to a location, and hold off 3-6 people from capturing the objective for several minutes, sometimes even taking the objective before they can get there and defending it.
I love being able to capture the flag/cart and escape and capture it with several people trying to stop me.
I enjoy being right up in the enemies face, and don't mind taking the hits so someone else behind me can do more damage.

I first started off playing as a hunter.
I switched over to DK upon its release, and mained that, tank and dps roles.
When I got back to the game, I enjoyed playing DH, started off as dps, then later focused on tank main.
I personally never tried mage, but the person who introduced me to this game played a warlock, which is a highly desirable class to play.
I spent several thousand hours playing ranged characters in both WoW and other games, so playing melee is more enjoyable for me atm.

DH can be VERY great for single target dps, you just need to get the right legendaries for it, and know your class.
They also make great trash mob clearers with high aoe dps. Sadly, it's one or the other, unless you have the time to change between bosses in a raid.
They also make decent tanks. They only have 1 taunt, it's single target, and has a long cd, but you're also loaded up with enough aoe, cc and health regen to keep dozens occupied.

Nothing will "always be good" because you never know if your class will be buffed, nerfed or untouched with the next patch.
When I first started playing my DH, all the guild recruitment messages were looking for everything EXCEPT DH.
Then people started seeing some DH hit the top charts on dps on certain fights in raids, and see DH tanks able to hold their own, and started accepting them, even looking for them specifically.

The main differences I'd say are the obvious.
Ranged vs Melee
DPS vs DPS/TANK

But really, it's all about being comfortable with your class, knowing the rotations, and working your way up in gear.
It also helps to know other classes, because it will help you know how to respond to certain situations.

My perspective is someone who stopped playing in 2012, returned last Halloween and mained DH without playing other characters.
I've had both good and bad experiences finding groups for PvE content, but was never kicked out a group for lack of knowing mechanics, or being too low on dps.
I've always performed average in PvP in terms of dps, but I would frequently be one of the few if not only in the group dedicated to running carts/flags as a tank.
One of the few times I've ever been kicked from a raid is when I gave an 880 ring to the person who rolled the highest for it, and the raid leader was mad/jealous because they didn't get it :rofl:
Aug 2 2017 01:36am
Quote (Kokua @ Aug 2 2017 02:15am)

Wow, thank you for the post!

Definitely going to be playing DH now!
Go Back To World of Warcraft Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll