d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > Looking For Advice On Running > Distance
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 69.19
Jul 25 2017 01:07pm
so after pulling a muscle in my neck, and spraining both my wrists

Running has become my newest outlet, and i am enjoying it quite a bit

I've been running for about 1-2 months now and so far the farthest i've gone is 5 miles on a tredmill in about 60 minutes

and last Saturday i ran 3 miles outside in about 30 minutes

collectively i've probably ran 10-15 times in the last 5 or so years :rofl:

but i'm enjoying it and it's a nice way to be outside and feels like a pretty great way to challenge myself

My fitbit has been pretty great for tracking all of this

looking for any dieting, supplementation, or equipment do's and dont's,

i played football for 10 years and in general my thought process always has been more of a high intensity pace over short periods, which doesn't always work for running :unsure:
It seems to be more meditative and rhythmic rather than being that barbaric meathead slamming weights :P

So really, i'm open to learn anything, even if you know of a good youtube channel of an accomplished runner that'd be a good start
Gold: 0.31
Jul 25 2017 05:11pm
What exactly are you wanting to know?

I'm just asking cause I'm curious as well. Distance vs intensity or what?
Gold: 0.00
Jul 25 2017 05:15pm
It all depends on your goal. Like do you want to do a marathon? or become a sprint runner? all theses things matter to your diet,supplement etc..

If you could precise this, it would be helpful

edit :and by football you mean american football or european?

This post was edited by Gjeely on Jul 25 2017 05:15pm
Gold: Locked
Jul 25 2017 05:30pm
Quote (Gjeely @ Jul 25 2017 07:15pm)
It all depends on your goal. Like do you want to do a marathon? or become a sprint runner? all theses things matter to your diet,supplement etc..

By what he says it has to be American
Jul 25 2017 09:41pm
Depends lol, I'm sure you have seen a winger that only sprint when he has the ball
Jul 25 2017 10:08pm
Quote (Kiss @ Jul 25 2017 06:11pm)
What exactly are you wanting to know?

I'm just asking cause I'm curious as well. Distance vs intensity or what?

Distance has been my goal

Quote (Gjeely @ Jul 25 2017 06:15pm)

My goal is to just get better really, depending on how good i get a marathon wouldn't be out of the question, i think a half marathon one day would be cool.

Quote (chelsea11 @ Jul 25 2017 06:30pm)
By what he says it has to be American

yup, American, the good ol pig skin
Jul 25 2017 10:53pm
Well keep running and keep a good pace. I would say to eat a lot of carbs and stay hydrated
Jul 25 2017 11:19pm
try sprinting then walking then jogging then walking then sprinting, repeat to spice it up a little, just eat a lot of whole foods, avoid the processed stuff
Jul 26 2017 10:05am
Quote (Gjeely @ Jul 25 2017 11:53pm)
Well keep running and keep a good pace. I would say to eat a lot of carbs and stay hydrated

just ran 3 miles yesterday and took about 3 minutes off my first time i recorded :thumbsup:

Quote (NoNameWorks420 @ Jul 26 2017 12:19am)
try sprinting then walking then jogging then walking then sprinting, repeat to spice it up a little, just eat a lot of whole foods, avoid the processed stuff

so high intensity intervals?
Gold: 21.80
Jul 26 2017 12:47pm
Quote (Pete1028 @ Jul 25 2017 07:07pm)
so after pulling a muscle in my neck, and spraining both my wrists

Running has become my newest outlet, and i am enjoying it quite a bit

I've been running for about 1-2 months now and so far the farthest i've gone is 5 miles on a tredmill in about 60 minutes

and last Saturday i ran 3 miles outside in about 30 minutes

collectively i've probably ran 10-15 times in the last 5 or so years :rofl:

but i'm enjoying it and it's a nice way to be outside and feels like a pretty great way to challenge myself

My fitbit has been pretty great for tracking all of this

looking for any dieting, supplementation, or equipment do's and dont's,

i played football for 10 years and in general my thought process always has been more of a high intensity pace over short periods, which doesn't always work for running :unsure:
It seems to be more meditative and rhythmic rather than being that barbaric meathead slamming weights :P

So really, i'm open to learn anything, even if you know of a good youtube channel of an accomplished runner that'd be a good start

So you've gotten bit by the runners bug! Excellent! It sounds like you are excited to start a new chapter of happiness and enjoyment in life which is running. I myself have been a fun loving distance runner for some time now and will be happy to help you along your journey.

As far as dieting goes I would recommend eating a lot of healthy foods such as fruits and vegetables. A blender works well for me and typically after a long run I will throw a mixture of kale, spinach, strawberries, blueberries, banana, pineapple, sliced beets, avocado, oats, and a scoop of whey protein. One supplement I feel that has benefited me is Glutamine which helps in muscle recovery but I'm sure there are plenty of others out there that will help and others that should be avoided.

As far as equipment dos and dont's I would recommend investing in a good pair of running shoes. I really like Mizuno (Wave rider 19's), Saucony (Ride 9'0 sand Hoka One One ( Clifton 2 /Bondi 5) If you are running on roads/hard surfaces do yourself a favor and invest in highly cushioned road shoes to save your joints some wear and tear. Segueing off this last point it is important not to get injured. Many new runners get addicted to running after a few months and increase their mileage too quickly and as a result injure themselves by running too much. You should do lots of stretches and even yoga to help prevent injuries as your mileage increases. Here are some good videos of pre and post yoga stretches;

1. pre run yoga = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9ks2LFQ-XI
2. post run yoha = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hf_u0AGdEA
(Keep in mind this is a really flexible little girl so don't hurt yourself by trying to bend as far as she does lol)

As far as high intensity interval training is concerned, this method can be an excellent way to increase strength and make you a faster running with more endurance. The number one factor that makes new runners both faster and gives them more endurance though, is increased mileage. By running more you will get better at it. These can be easy miles starting out where you are. Run a lot at a pace that you can hold a conversation with someone and over time running will get much easier.

Goals will help you become a better runner as well. You should first focus on shorter races before you get into the big guns of the marathon. 26.2 miles is a LONG and GRUELING run. This distance at first can be intimidating and will hurt your mental strength and physical capacity if you are not prepared for it. Don't jump right into these long races mate.
A great goal to strive for in the near future would be to complete a 5k (3.1 miles) in under 25 minutes. (That is about 8 minute per mile pace-Which is a great goal pace for a new runner.)
To train for this you can run half mile repeats at a pace faster than your goal 5k race pace (so 7:30 minute mile pace for only a half mile and repeat this 5 times or so.) This type of training is known as "tempo" running.

It will take time and discipline to reach your goals but you will become stronger, faster and happier because of it.

A good youtube channel of an accomplished runner who is a "youtube running trainer" and posts informative running videos is pro runner Sage Canaday
His youtube channel ; https://www.youtube.com/user/Vo2maxProductions

I will leave you with a motivational video of my favorite and arguably the greatest distance runner in the world; Kenenisa Bekele. I recommend watching it entirely.

Your running journey will take you to places you never thought possible. Your mind will become stronger and and you will learn things about yourself that will inspire you to unleash your greatness.

Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll