d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Christian Fellowship > If You Could Pick A Sermon Topic
Add Reply New Topic
Gold: Locked
Jul 22 2017 06:09pm
I've recently made a new friend whose father is a pastor. He happens to preach at a church fairly close to where I live, so I told her "let me know when he's doing a good sermon and I'll show up." My intent was for her to tell me when he was preaching on a subject that he himself was fairly passionate about, but it seems as though the shoe is now on the other foot.

He's told me to pick a topic and he'll do a sermon on it.

My question to you all is multi-fold:

What topic would YOU request? Why?
What topic would you like to learn more about/what confuses you about the Bible?
What are some more obscure/lesser-known facets of Biblical study that you find interesting that the average Christian might not know about?

I'm not looking to try some form of one-upmanship, but I am looking to take this unique opportunity to learn about something more advanced than the average sermon might provide.
Gold: 174.69
Jul 22 2017 07:04pm
A difficult question to answer IMO. All sermons/topics have some kind of relevance in our daily lives, whether it be regarding ourselves or family and friends.
Gold: 90.58
Jul 22 2017 09:40pm
Problem of Evil

However, John Lennox is the only one that comes close in tackling that issue. Very hard to preach on, but if your pastor is a good one, can give it a try
Gold: 6.69
Jul 23 2017 03:06am
Ive always liked sermons about evidence for inteligence design for creation

This post was edited by kai_jph on Jul 23 2017 03:06am
Gold: Locked
Jul 24 2017 01:46pm
Quote (JohnMiller92 @ Jul 22 2017 08:40pm)
Problem of Evil

However, John Lennox is the only one that comes close in tackling that issue. Very hard to preach on, but if your pastor is a good one, can give it a try

Just listened to it, and I think I agree with your statement "comes close". While he uses a reasonable defense to explain human evils in the world (and, indeed, the same defense I myself have used), his attempt to draw parallelism towards the question of pain fell flat. I did enjoy the talk though, so thanks for the recommendation.

I'm thinking of going for something from the OT. My grasp on a lot of the core concepts in the OT is certainly lacking, and a direction in which I could expand my knowledge greatly. Also, there's this curiously hovering question of "how much of the OT applies to Christians today and what do we do with it?", which people seem to have answers ALL across the board on. Gets into Mosaic law a bit and Jesus's seemingly contradictory statements with regards to whether he came to abolish the old law or uphold the old law, and leads nicely into the new covenant in Christ.

But I know a bit about that part already so I'm wondering if you guys have any cool concepts you've enjoyed within the OT that might lend themselves either towards further study or a sermon?
Gold: 5.00
Warn: 10%
Oct 24 2017 12:59am
explain for me
how two go in
and three fall down
explosion
dustification
did they send their best?
Gold: 39,008.00
Nov 11 2017 05:09pm
Satanism and Occult practices of Hollywood, and how they're undermining God and trying to turn everything that was once good to bad and vice-versa. See "TheScariestMovieEver" content creator on YT for examples. That is my Church nowadays, but I don't tend to like places with mass amounts of random strangers so I don't go to Church(also they make God boring), now just say my prayers to God alone.

This post was edited by imez on Nov 11 2017 05:15pm
Gold: 222.00
Warn: 20%
Nov 25 2017 09:58pm
I'm currently in a school of ministry in GA. I'm working on a sermon addressing how our society promotes evil in the media.

Quote (imez @ Nov 11 2017 07:09pm)
Satanism and Occult practices of Hollywood, and how they're undermining God and trying to turn everything that was once good to bad and vice-versa. See "TheScariestMovieEver" content creator on YT for examples. That is my Church nowadays, but I don't tend to like places with mass amounts of random strangers so I don't go to Church(also they make God boring), now just say my prayers to God alone.

I suggest going church searching. It took me years, but I finally found a church that has decent Christians in it. I despise churches that have hollow Christians. However, you must realize, a church is a hospital for the sick.
Go Back To Christian Fellowship Topic List
Add Reply New Topic