d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Other Games > Path of Exile > Strategy & Guides > [n] Lots Of Newbie Advice > Streams, Guides Etc.
12Next
Add Reply New Topic
Gold: 566.00
Jun 21 2017 03:56pm
Hi guys,

tomorrow I'll get my new notebook where I can actually start playing PoE. I played some D3 and lots and lots of D2. So my question is: Do you guys have any recommendations of videos/streams/playlists/guides that I should read before starting? How do I get "rich" in terms of currency? What are good and easy to play chars/skills and so on. So I need all the basics, but I'm always afraid that when I watch I video it refers to some old patch or so...

Thanks in advance!

Greetings
Gold: 107.62
Warn: 10%
Jun 21 2017 04:00pm
Do not start by following builds. Play around and learn about the game. Your two or three first characters will suck but you'll know how the game works.
Use the wikia for more info on skill gems, currencies, etc. best char is the one you like the most. there's a big update to be released soon, play anything now so you can learn before it arrives then you start on it at full speed.
gl and welcome

This post was edited by Bozzano on Jun 21 2017 04:07pm
Gold: 170.00
Jun 21 2017 09:52pm
as long as you do the EXACT opposite of what bonnazo says youll be fine, enjoy the game! :)
Gold: 202.99
Jun 22 2017 04:04am
ziggyD should be a rather noobfriendly streamer/youtuber to check out. He has some beginner guides up I believe
Mathilification is another popular one. Known for highdmg non beginner friendly glasscannon builds :P

as for currency, just dont spend any on crafting. Save it all and use it on poe.trade for items
You can learn crafting later on if you feel like it

e/ newest patch is 2.6 but we are going to get 3.0 in 1-2months which will introduce new acts and shit

This post was edited by pypyjyys on Jun 22 2017 04:06am
Gold: 107.62
Warn: 10%
Jun 22 2017 11:40am
Quote (NumbSouls @ Jun 22 2017 12:52am)
as long as you do the EXACT opposite of what bonnazo says youll be fine, enjoy the game! :)

I'm pretty sure I gave him solid advices. But yeah if you want to make fun of me around and make ppl go the wrong way, good luck :)
Gold: 566.00
Jun 22 2017 12:40pm
Thx to everyone, my takeaway is that there is no clear path (lol :D ) to take :D
Gold: 170.00
Jun 22 2017 03:40pm
Quote (Bozzano @ Jun 22 2017 12:40pm)
I'm pretty sure I gave him solid advices. But yeah if you want to make fun of me around and make ppl go the wrong way, good luck :)

you're speading the idiotic idea that he shouldn't check up any sort of character guide to put him in the right direction spreading the idea that its normal to make a few shitty chars at first when its totally unnecessary
Gold: 0.08
Jul 29 2017 01:26pm
Quote (Bozzano @ Jun 22 2017 01:00am)
Do not start by following builds. Play around and learn about the game. Your two or three first characters will suck but you'll know how the game works.
Use the wikia for more info on skill gems, currencies, etc. best char is the one you like the most. there's a big update to be released soon, play anything now so you can learn before it arrives then you start on it at full speed.
gl and welcome

Trolling right?

1. "Best char is the one you like the most": LOL NO! My favorite char is the high life/physical dmg ground slammer but it SUCKS as a build and you need 50 ex or sth for such a build to have any chance late game. Especially for a new player, he has to find a build that is cost-effective, ie being able to do end game content with minimum investment. Otherwise he will never see the entirety of the game and he will never actually get to really play a build he likes. Unless he is content being unable to do anything after lvl 2 maps and hoping someone else does lab for him. Oh... and leaving the game in a few weeks because "it is too hard".

2. "Play anything now". NO! This will just confuse you. Wait for the update to come because everything will be different then.

3. "Your two or three first characters will suck but you'll know how the game works". NO NO NO NO NO! The best way to learn how the game works is devoting some time to read builds and guides and THEN selecting something and working on it and with it. Car designers do not have to invent the freaking wheel each time they design a new model and you do not have to test endless builds and fall flat dozens of times because OTHERS HAVE DONE THAT AND HAVE BEEN DOING THAT FOR YEARS. I would even argue that if you are completely green, you should stick to a certain build 100% and avoid any experimentation up until you have played the game long enough to understand the mechanics and acquired some real advice. Jumping in having done no research and creating crappy chars is the way of the noob. It is what losers did in 2002 when D2 was still relatively new. It sucked then, it sucks even more now.
Gold: 3,750.00
Jul 29 2017 03:46pm
Quote (Bozzano @ Jun 21 2017 06:00pm)
gl and welcome

Most retarded advice... Follow guides that give in-depth explanations, so you'll have an idea as to how certain things work, if you were to learn the game from scratch all by yourself.... Would take fucking ages

It's like learning math.... But by yourself.... From scratch.... That's retarded, why not use the sources already available
Gold: 1,065.00
Jul 30 2017 02:09am
Quote (Bozzano @ Jun 21 2017 05:00pm)
gl and welcome

Terrible advice. Follow a build and still fuck it up. Not a good idea to try to make one when you have no idea how things work yet.
Go Back To Strategy & Guides Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic