d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Why Are There So Many Homegrown Terrorists?
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 260.11
Jun 21 2017 12:08pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jun 21 2017 12:04pm)
Yes i have, up here in the northeast the "we're going to hell in a handbasket" sermon isn't too common. I get your point but your experience of Christianity comes from a subjective reality you've experienced living in the middle of nowhere. And even with the rural sky is falling preachers almost none are radicalizing people go out into the world and commit acts of terrorism.

I've seen them encourage it against planned parenthood at least.

My point being that what you said in your post is pretty common across a good portion of Christianity as well as Islam.
Gold: 7,351.00
Jun 21 2017 12:11pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Jun 21 2017 11:08am)
I've seen them encourage it against planned parenthood at least.

My point being that what you said in your post is pretty common across a good portion of Christianity as well as Islam.

And here we are in the western world where the overwhelming majority of the people identify as Christian commit nearly no terrorist acts meanwhile a tiny Muslim minority is responsible for like 90% of all terrorism in the west.

Jun 21 2017 12:12pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jun 21 2017 12:11pm)
And here we are in the western world where the overwhelming majority of the people identify as Christian commit nearly no terrorist acts meanwhile a tiny Muslim minority is responsible for like 90% of all terrorism in the west.

Can you think of a single factor that would increase the rate of terrorism?

What are some key differences between North America and the Middle East? I can think of at least a dozen that would increase terrorism that have nothing to do with Islam.

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Jun 21 2017 12:13pm
Gold: 5,169.82
Jun 21 2017 12:16pm
PaRD's local Belgian, reporting in!

In Belgium we have a huge problem with Imams who don't speak any of the local languages. That means no Dutch, nor French, nor German, and no English either.
These are the Imams that are estranged from society (for logical reasons), and who can offer zero guidance to young Muslims who are actually trying to be proper followers of their faith. The one authority these kids should have (i.e. the Imam) is somebody they cannot communicate with.
This leaves those kids weak to being manipulated/influenced by outside sources. These kids, with way too little knowledge about Islam, are easy subjects to people who preach ISIS' caliphate, who say that Jihad justifies killing infidels, stuff like that. Many of the Muslims who have radicalized in Belgium were people who had way too little interaction with their Imams. This goes for local terrorists as well as people who traveled to Syria to join the ISIS forces there.

That is the first and foremost work item we have here. Islam needs to grow out of obscurity, Imams need to be qualified to teach, and Muslims need to start taking responsibility over what their kids are learning instead of turning a blind eye.
Jun 21 2017 12:17pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Jun 21 2017 11:12am)
Can you think of a single factor that would increase the rate of terrorism.

What are some key differences between North America and the Middle East? I can think of at least a dozen that would increase terrorism.

I don't even have to bring in ME terrorism statistics. Just look at western Europe and the daily Islamic extremist attacks from a sub population that makes up what? 2-5% of total population?

Meanwhile you have to scour the internet to find some nut that killed an abortion doctor 5 years ago to attribute to Christian terrorism, in a country that's like 70% Christian lol. Yes totally comparable, you got me :rolleyes:
Jun 21 2017 12:21pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jun 21 2017 12:17pm)
I don't even have to bring in ME terrorism statistics. Just look at western Europe and the daily Islamic extremist attacks from a sub population that makes up what? 2-5% of total population?

Meanwhile you have to scour the internet to find some nut that killed an abortion doctor 5 years ago to attribute to Christian terrorism, in a country that's like 70% Christian lol. Yes totally comparable, you got me :rolleyes:

Can you think of anything not related to Islam that might increase the rates perhaps?

Even if you ignore the middle east the question still stands.

Looking at dis proportionality doesn't just mean checking the relative rates.
Jun 21 2017 12:23pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Jun 21 2017 11:21am)
Can you think of anything not related to Islam that might increase the rates perhaps?

Even if you ignore the middle east the question still stands.

Looking at dis proportionality doesn't just mean checking the relative rates.

What?

Are you really trying to make a point that Muslims committing acts of terror in western Europe has nothing to do with Islam but everything to do with something else?
Gold: 500.00
Jun 21 2017 12:24pm
Quote (Leevee @ Jun 21 2017 01:16pm)
PaRD's local Belgian, reporting in!

In Belgium we have a huge problem with Imams who don't speak any of the local languages. That means no Dutch, nor French, nor German, and no English either.
These are the Imams that are estranged from society (for logical reasons), and who can offer zero guidance to young Muslims who are actually trying to be proper followers of their faith. The one authority these kids should have (i.e. the Imam) is somebody they cannot communicate with.
This leaves those kids weak to being manipulated/influenced by outside sources. These kids, with way too little knowledge about Islam, are easy subjects to people who preach ISIS' caliphate, who say that Jihad justifies killing infidels, stuff like that. Many of the Muslims who have radicalized in Belgium were people who had way too little interaction with their Imams. This goes for local terrorists as well as people who traveled to Syria to join the ISIS forces there.

That is the first and foremost work item we have here. Islam needs to grow out of obscurity, Imams need to be qualified to teach, and Muslims need to start taking responsibility over what their kids are learning instead of turning a blind eye.

how do you propose to tackle the issue of these kids being isolated in areas where they're easily preyed upon by people looking to turn them into jihadists, the bolded isn't exactly a solution that we can act on
Gold: 4,383.11
Jun 21 2017 12:25pm
"homegrown"
technically the word is correct, but places like molenbeek are full-fledged parallel societies so its not that much of a difference when compared to their homeland shitholes

Quote (duffman316 @ 21 Jun 2017 17:08)

I'd think some brute force assimilation would be helpful to curb the rise of home grown terrorism. Forcefully relocate newcomers to neighborhoods that are actually diverse so as to avoid allowing them to exist exclusively amongst their own kind isolated from the rest of the country. They'd have to learn the language of the land and learn to tolerate their neighbors and this would be a good way to integrate them into society.

nice idea, but most muslim migrants come here to live among "their own" and do not plan to have native neighbours
if you try to force them they will go somewhere else

This post was edited by ampoo on Jun 21 2017 12:27pm
Jun 21 2017 12:27pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jun 21 2017 12:23pm)
What?

Are you really trying to make a point that Muslims committing acts of terror in western Europe has nothing to do with Islam but everything to do with something else?

Depends how you define "nothing to do with". Really I'm trying to get a certain group of posters to actually acknowledge other reasons for it instead of just going the lazy route and correlating it to religion.

If we took the same approach to all religions I could correlate any number of shitty things to Christianity or Judaism, but for some reason I bet if I made those points you'd be screaming about no true scotsman.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll