d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > A. H. A. Spreads Bogus Study > Claims Coconut Oil Causes Heart Disease
Prev12346Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Jun 18 2017 06:34am
Quote (Knaapie @ Jun 18 2017 02:30am)
Food research has never been wrong.. lol.

This one is actually interesting though. EndlessSky actually seems to be right for once.
Some ppl are extremely motived to reduce coconut oil and palm oils consumption at this time. (trying to prevent tropical deforestation)
It might produce some biased info.

That didn't happen here, but to still answer your question. Living a healthy life reduces needed health care and makes ppl more productive.

They are actively brainwashing you into making the choices they want you to make. Your freedom is being reduced, I'd be very angry !!

I don't think the tropical deforestation argument applies here, at least with regard to coconut oil. You kind of need the trees to grow coconuts.
Gold: 2,617.52
Jun 18 2017 06:38am
Quote (Surfpunk @ Jun 18 2017 08:34am)
I don't think the tropical deforestation argument applies here, at least with regard to coconut oil. You kind of need the trees to grow coconuts.

I agree. I think the issue is a bit simpler.

My first theory is simple stupidity. Academics make a lot of mistakes.

My second theory would be that the AHA is trying to make people fat so that they can prescribe them Statin drugs.
Gold: 119,903.34
Jun 18 2017 06:57am
There's currently a pseudo war going on right now with nutrition/dietary science.

The whole notion that saturated fat increases risk for heart disease and that dietary cholesterol raises cholesterol is not as supported as some might think.

Mass production of refined carbohydrates has mostly lead to an obesity epidemic.

I'm not really sure what to conclude yet but there for sure is enough smoke and doubt to think the idea that saturated fat increases risk for heart disease is not adequately supported.

Also one thing that seems pretty weird is if saturated fat is the largest risk for heart disease other than potential genetic factors, it would then make sense the countries that have the highest consumption of dietary fat would have higher rates of heart disease but countries like France/Switzerland have lower rates of heart disease than the US and other countries who eat a more carb based diet.

Gary Taubes is a decent guy to look up and read up on for the perspective of being against the notion that saturated fat causes heart disease.

But I'm curious as how things play out, dietary/nutritional science is mostly hard to gauge because the quality of studies and research is not that well done when you compare it to hard sciences like chemistry/physics where there is more peer criticism of poor research.

Also it's been pretty hard to trust a lot of sources cause the corn/sugar industry has been funding studies to push the idea of saturated fat is bad , leading to a bigger demand for a carb heavier diet.

Quote (EndlessSky @ Jun 18 2017 07:38am)
I agree. I think the issue is a bit simpler.

My first theory is simple stupidity. Academics make a lot of mistakes.

My second theory would be that the AHA is trying to make people fat so that they can prescribe them Statin drugs.

It's just bad science being done. Much like how social darwinism was misused to have politicans justify imperialism and then genocide and human rights violations and another example is scientists defending lead being safe for industrial and commercial use.

Bad science and research partly done because of conflict of interests with sugar/corn industry lobbies and just the nature that people start to view things as fact and when someone challenges those conventions , most people are cold to the idea they may be wrong. For most of Einstein's life , a lot of people challenged his Theory of Special Relativity.

This post was edited by sir_lance_bb on Jun 18 2017 07:03am
Gold: 1,002.00
Warn: 10%
Jun 18 2017 07:11am
Quote (Surfpunk @ 18 Jun 2017 13:34)

Hmm.. It seemed completely logical to me.. A coconut plantation doesn't come close to a tropical forest. Increasing demand will result in deforestation one way or the other. The region coconuts come from is mostly tropical..
But fair enough, I'm unable to find this relation with some quick google searches.

What I did find it coconut oil competing with locally grown vegetable oils -> olive and sunflower.

This post was edited by Knaapie on Jun 18 2017 07:13am
Retired Moderator
Gold: 35,078.94
Trader: Trusted
Jun 19 2017 06:51am
All the study really said was that saturated fats are worse for your heart than poly and mono unsaturated fats, and that coconut oil is the highest there is in saturated fat.

Shocking news right?

For those who keep following the "it's a naturally occurring oil, it must be healthier." You know what else is 100% organic and naturally occurring? Asbestos. So go fill your homes with the organic asbestos of the world.

This post was edited by AspenSniper on Jun 19 2017 06:52am
Gold: 1,250.69
Jun 19 2017 07:01am
all this stuff is bogus..

I am not gonna stop eating bread because you don't like Gluten
I am not gonna stop eating eggs because you don't like yokes
I am not gonna stop drinking milk because you don't like Fat
Gold: 7,525.35
Jun 19 2017 07:05am
Quote (caswallen @ Jun 19 2017 09:01am)
all this stuff is bogus..

I am not gonna stop eating bread because you don't like Gluten
I am not gonna stop eating eggs because you don't like yokes
I am not gonna stop drinking milk because you don't like Fat

well you might stop if you have a heart attack and die.. but yeah
Gold: 8,933.00
Jun 19 2017 07:39am
Quote (EndlessSky @ Jun 17 2017 11:25pm)
This week, the American Heart Association spread a news release claiming that coconut oil is not only unhealthy, but also that it causes heart disease. They claim its supported by a slew of scientific studies, but if you worm your way through all of the studies to the original papers, they have nothing to do with the original subject matter.

The studies claim that coconut oil raises LDL levels. LDL's are the type of cholesterol that most people link to heart disease. The problem with the studies is that the studies ignore the fact that there are two completely different types of LDL's. The studies grouped both types of LDL together.

The low molecular weight LDL's from coconut oil have completely different effects on the human physeology compared to LDL's metabolized from carbohydrates and sugars (the two real culprits). LDL's from carbohydrates, sugars, and trans fats DO cause heart disease while those from coconut oil don't.

I think someone needs to drain the swamp with these pseudoscientists trying to justify their salaries in faceless bureaucracies.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/06/16/coconut-oil-isnt-healthy-its-never-been-healthy/402719001/

TL;DR

Why is the government telling us how to eat if they can't even do that right themselves?

You got any sources for this refutation?
Gold: 2.66
Jun 19 2017 07:59am
Another person bringing up pseudoscience? :D Keep digging man, that shit is everywhere. But also one of the worst forms of disinformation is the bullshit you hear from your friends, family, relatives and co workers. Basically, the people you interact with in your environment. They either are ignorant and spread the bullshit. Or they know what they are doing and are spreading the feces. For example, I can give you a fake opinion now and pass it as fact. Did you know that pizza is healthy for you? It has tomato sauce which is rich in antioxidants and helps kill cancer cells.You should eat pizza more often because it is tasty and prevents cancer. But then you have facts like when you cook them tomatoes, you change the chemical composition and those cancer fighting properties are destroyed. And that the cheese from the pizza will clog your arteries, and help contribute to obesity. good luck with your heart attack but only if you eating pizza in excessive amounts over a long time.
Gold: 285.00
Jun 19 2017 08:31am
Who thinks any oil is healthy is what I want to know?
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12346Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll