d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Is The Fix In Again?
12312Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8,933.00
Jun 13 2017 04:39pm
http://www.kare11.com/news/yanez-trial-week-3/448036427

ST. PAUL, Minn. - After nine hours of deliberations, the jury has not yet reached a verdict in the trial against Officer Jeronimo Yanez.

The jury will resume deliberations at 8:30 Wednesday morning.

The jury made a request Tuesday to re-watch both the squad car video and the Facebook Live video of the fatal shooting of Philando Castile. The request was made around 9:10 a.m. Tuesday, and court reconvened shortly after to replay both videos. However, a request by the jury to be given the transcripts of the squad video were denied. The video did have closed captioning.

The last time the jury viewed that video was la

The jury also made a request to view the transcript of the BCA interview conducted with Yanez, however, the judge denied that request because it was never submitted as evidence.

On Friday, the prosecution wanted to submit that transcript as part of the evidence during cross-examination but was denied. Though prosecutors referenced the interview throughout the trial, they chose not to show the interview in court while presenting their case -- presumably to ensure Yanez would take the stand and give an opportunity to be cross-examined.

The judge did not allow them to use any of the BCA interview video during that cross examination.

That BCA interview does show some discrepancies that the prosecution is depending on -- such as Yanez saying he saw an "object" but not definitively saying it was a gun, as he did while on the stand.

The prosecution tried to argue to the judge on Tuesday that the jury should be given access to the transcript, but the defense disagreed. The judge ruled in favor of Yanez's defense team. Tuesday afternoon Ramsey County Attorney John Choi released a statement explaining the prosecution strategy, insisting he believes the request to introduce the tape during cross-examination was legally sound.

Under the rules of evidence, the BCA interview is a statement by the defendant, a party opponent. The rules of evidence clearly allow for the statement’s admission into evidence during cross examination. Strategically, we felt the statement would be best used for impeachment purposes on cross examination when the defendant took the stand in his own defense. The Defense objected to our introduction of the entire audio. We were still able to introduce his conflicting statements for impeachment purposes, but not in the manner we had planned on, which was to have the defendant listen and respond to questions as it was being played. Today, we once again asserted on the record our request to have the jury hear the entire BCA audio.

If a not-guilty verdict is reached on this one, expect a major blow-up of anti-police brutality protests and BLM protests.
Gold: 285.00
Jun 13 2017 04:56pm
This is to warn you that I am no longer held in check from fighting white supremacists by Elijah Muhammad's separatist Black Muslim movement, and that if your present racist agitation against our people there in Alabama causes physical harm to Reverend King or any other black Americans who are only attempting to enjoy their rights as free human beings, that you and your Ku Klux Klan friends will be met with maximum physical retaliation from those of us who are not hand-cuffed by the disarming philosophy of nonviolence, and who believe in asserting our right of self-defense — by any means necessary.

Telegram sent to George Lincoln Rockwell, leader of the American Nazi Party, during Rockwell's "Hate Bus" tour of the Southern US States, 1965. Quoted in an interview on January 24, 1965 and printed in Malcolm X and George Breitman, Malcolm X Speaks: selected speeches and statements, (New York: Grove Press, 1990) 201.

Who is going to police the policemen?
Gold: 260.11
Jun 13 2017 06:29pm
Quote (Skinned @ Jun 13 2017 04:56pm)
Telegram sent to George Lincoln Rockwell, leader of the American Nazi Party, during Rockwell's "Hate Bus" tour of the Southern US States, 1965. Quoted in an interview on January 24, 1965 and printed in Malcolm X and George Breitman, Malcolm X Speaks: selected speeches and statements, (New York: Grove Press, 1990) 201.

Yeah, people think of king as non violent, but riots were part of the protesting in other areas. History gets whitewashed again.
Jun 14 2017 05:18pm
http://www.startribune.com/jury-deliberations-enter-third-day-in-yanez-trial/428443913/

The jury is deadlocked. They've been instructed to continue deliberations, but with a couple blacks sitting this jury, I sincerely doubt there will be a not-guilty verdict, but there may very well be a hung jury and a retrial called.
Gold: 5,016.77
Jun 14 2017 07:05pm
Quote (Skinned @ Jun 13 2017 05:56pm)

I know you and others get off on that sort of rhetoric, but it's not the 1960's, and the constant anti-police attitude instilled in black youth doesn't help them to act properly in police encounters. That's going to result in deaths.

This post was edited by IceMage on Jun 14 2017 07:06pm
Gold: 2,489.69
Jun 14 2017 07:09pm
Quote (IceMage @ Jun 14 2017 07:05pm)
I know you and others get off on that sort of rhetoric, but it's not the 1960's, and the constant anti-police attitude instilled in black youth doesn't help them to act properly in police encounters. That's going to result in deaths.

ALL COPS R BAD, FRY EM LIKE BACON!

DON'T JUDGE ME BY MY SKIN COLOR, GET TO KNOW ME FIRST!
Gold: 5,016.77
Jun 14 2017 07:11pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Jun 14 2017 08:09pm)
ALL COPS R BAD, FRY EM LIKE BACON!

DON'T JUDGE ME BY MY SKIN COLOR, GET TO KNOW ME FIRST!

That's not to say I don't look at that quote and respect it... but we're not in the same place historically.
Gold: 22,186.49
Jun 14 2017 07:14pm
The jury will reach the appropriate verdict as they see fit. They've seen the evidence we haven't. What little we know of the shooting certainly builds a strong case for manslaughter, but I can't judge what I don't know. If they can't reach a guilty verdict, its because they had reason. I'm not sure I have faith in the jury to exclude metapolitical motivation from their decision, whether as justification from a prior narrative or fear of the impact of their decision- in the prior trial of Allen Scarsella not far away, one of the jurors justified her vote on the basis of trayvon martin and michael brown, rather than just the facts of the case.

This post was edited by Goomshill on Jun 14 2017 07:14pm
Jun 14 2017 07:41pm
Quote (Goomshill @ Jun 14 2017 08:14pm)
The jury will reach the appropriate verdict as they see fit. They've seen the evidence we haven't. What little we know of the shooting certainly builds a strong case for manslaughter, but I can't judge what I don't know. If they can't reach a guilty verdict, its because they had reason. I'm not sure I have faith in the jury to exclude metapolitical motivation from their decision, whether as justification from a prior narrative or fear of the impact of their decision- in the prior trial of Allen Scarsella not far away, one of the jurors justified her vote on the basis of trayvon martin and michael brown, rather than just the facts of the case.

They've also not heard what is really the most damning part - the BCA interview - whereas it's public knowledge.
Jun 16 2017 11:40am
http://www.fox9.com/news/261880889-story

The judge has refused to allow jurors to re-hear the officer's testimony. Jury is still hung.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
12312Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll