d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Homework Help > The Effect Of Adh On Osmolarity In Blood
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 6,723.69
Jun 8 2017 03:22pm
The following is a question from 2013's Medicine entrance exam (Belgium), Biology.

We look at the effect of antidiuretic hormone (ADH) on the concentration of uric acid of blood and on the osmolarity in blood. Furthermore, we look at whether an increased intake of salt has a similar or opposite effect.
Which of these rows is correct?

A: ADH increases: concentration of uric acid increases/ ADH increases: osmolarity increases/ Effect of increasing salt intake is: opposite
B: ADH increases: concentration of uric acid increases/ ADH increases: osmolarity decreases/ Effect of increasing salt intake is: similar
C: ADH increases: concentration of uric acid decreases/ ADH increases: osmolarity increases/ Effect of increasing salt intake is: similar
D: ADH increases: concentration of uric acid decreases/ ADH increases: osmolarity decreases/ Effect of increasing salt intake is: opposite

My attempt:
Code
An increase of ADH promotes the absorption of water back into the blood stream. This will lower the osmolarity of blood.
To maintain homeostasis, the uric acid concentration in blood increases. The only viable answer that remains under these two conditions is B

I know that B is correct (according to the exam), however, I can't explain to myself why an increased intake of salt would have a similar effect. I think that an increased intake of salt will result in an increase of osmolarity. The uric concentration will (at first) decrease and ADH will increase to go back to homeostasis. Only after this process will the increased ADH lead to a decreased osmolarity, but the initial effect of increased salt intake should be opposite to that of an increased ADH level?

Help t.t
Gold: Locked
Warn: 80%
Jun 9 2017 02:04am
Yes
Gold: 0.00
Jun 9 2017 11:51pm
This post is a violation of the site rules and appropriate action was taken.

Quote (death_knight @ Jun 9 2017 04:04am)
Yes

this
Gold: 6,723.69
Jun 10 2017 03:26pm
Quote (DetroitDegen @ Jun 10 2017 06:51am)
this

I can see that you still "need" some posts having joined on June 10, 2017, but this isn't the best way to obtain them :/
Gold: 9,970.00
Jun 15 2017 12:00am
Quote (Forg0tten @ Jun 8 2017 05:22pm)
The following is a question from 2013's Medicine entrance exam (Belgium), Biology.

We look at the effect of antidiuretic hormone (ADH) on the concentration of uric acid of blood and on the osmolarity in blood. Furthermore, we look at whether an increased intake of salt has a similar or opposite effect.
Which of these rows is correct?

A: ADH increases: concentration of uric acid increases/ ADH increases: osmolarity increases/ Effect of increasing salt intake is: opposite
B: ADH increases: concentration of uric acid increases/ ADH increases: osmolarity decreases/ Effect of increasing salt intake is: similar
C: ADH increases: concentration of uric acid decreases/ ADH increases: osmolarity increases/ Effect of increasing salt intake is: similar
D: ADH increases: concentration of uric acid decreases/ ADH increases: osmolarity decreases/ Effect of increasing salt intake is: opposite

My attempt:
Code
An increase of ADH promotes the absorption of water back into the blood stream. This will lower the osmolarity of blood.
To maintain homeostasis, the uric acid concentration in blood increases. The only viable answer that remains under these two conditions is B

I know that B is correct (according to the exam), however, I can't explain to myself why an increased intake of salt would have a similar effect. I think that an increased intake of salt will result in an increase of osmolarity. The uric concentration will (at first) decrease and ADH will increase to go back to homeostasis. Only after this process will the increased ADH lead to a decreased osmolarity, but the initial effect of increased salt intake should be opposite to that of an increased ADH level?

Help t.t

Anti-Diuretics cause water retention to occur. Same solute amount with increased solvent amount will lead to decreased osmolarity. In this situation, think of increased salt concentration similarly to, but not exactly, an anti-diuretic. My physiology is a little rusty, but I'd suggest you look at the nephron. Look at what happens at the proximal and distal convoluted tubes and the loop of Henle (as it pertains to ion exchange). This might be able to explain why B is the correct answer. Hope this helps.
Go Back To Homework Help Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll