d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Culinary Arts > Cooking Veggies
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 500.00
Jun 1 2017 01:16pm
anyone here have fast/efficient ideas to cook veggies? and what kinds should i be buying?
Gold: 1,535.00
Jun 1 2017 02:13pm
i posted in ur H&F topic
Gold: 8,224.05
Jun 1 2017 08:09pm
For root vegetables i avoid blanching them in water. Just roast them in the oven with a bit of oil, some garlic if u like. Usually you have to go slow, otherwise the outside will burn before it gets cooked inside. More time consuming but so much better tasting.
For green veggies (asperagus, green peas, etc..) i just blanch them in heavily salted water real quick, take them out and shock them in ice water if you want them cold (like cold asperagus-vinaigrette), or want to eat them later. Or just season them with olive oil and eat them right away.
For spinach, kale, swiss chard etc just sautée them real quick in a pan with olive oil or butter (or both), some garlic if u like.
There's always grilled veggies too. Just toss eggplant, peppers, mushroom, zucchini etc cut in big chunks in a big bowl with a lot of olive oil, balsamic, salt/pepper, dried oregano. Grill. Toss everything again when it's still warm with more olive oil, more balsamic, garlic, fresh herbs if you have them (parsley, oregano, basil, chive etc...)

What should you be buying? Whatever is cheap and looks nice.. heh

This post was edited by hofx2 on Jun 1 2017 08:09pm
Gold: 9.00
Jun 15 2017 12:42pm
Grill-stick with mushrooms, red bell pepper, tomato and corn on the kob is the best! Wonderful veggies. Boiled veggies are not really tasty sorry.
Gold: 3,558.23
Jul 1 2017 02:53pm
I just got a wok last week and have been done veggie stir fry's a handful of times. It's pretty fast, under a half hour total prep and cook time. Using mushrooms, bell peppers (all of them), baby corn, carrots...really anything we happen to pick up at the grocery store. Start it in a little bit of peanut oil, get that really hot, and just cook the veggies to your desired tenderness, ~7 minutes works for us but I'm still learning and experimenting. Add some soy sauce or stir fry stuff and it's pretty good. Even better when you throw in some cooked rice or noodles with bulldog sauce.

I love grilling veggies too, but this is SO quick it's awesome! If you've got a big fry pan then you can try this in that, and if you decide you love it get yourself a stainless wok and you'll love it even more. :)
Gold: 0.00
Jul 2 2017 10:50pm
Quote (duffman316 @ Jun 1 2017 02:16pm)
anyone here have fast/efficient ideas to cook veggies? and what kinds should i be buying?

I cook veggies for living. I make side-dishes at this restaurant i work at. Normally it's sauteed string beans, buttered carrots, and roasted potatoes.

Heat up a pot with olive oil and garlic till it is golden brown and ready, then add the boiled string beans and add salt and pepper. Then boil carrots and add that in a pot with hot melted butter and add chopped parsley and salt and pepper as well, and mix it.

For the roasted potatoes, rinse some potatoes and chop it into pieces, then add olive oil, paprika, salt and pepper and chopped rosemary, and give it a mix, and throw it in the oven at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes. check until it is slightly burnt.

If you want more info on the other veggies i cook, such as baby zucchinis, broccoli, cauliflower, artichokes, let me know!

This post was edited by me1 on Jul 2 2017 10:51pm
Go Back To Culinary Arts Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll