d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Homework Help > Basic Trigonometry
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 6,723.69
May 28 2017 06:11am
I already found one solution, I'm just curious if anybody else can find another.

A circle goes through B (-1,0) and is tangent to a line y=2x at A (1,2). What is the surface of this circle?
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
May 28 2017 08:51am
Surface? You mean area?
Basically you want to find the center of the circle though. You can use the fact that a tangent to a circle is perpendicular to a line from the center of the circle to the tangent point. Recall perpendicular refers to a negatove reciprocal slope. Use this fact to construct two equations and plug in the points to find center (x,y) of the circle.

This post was edited by Zekdawg on May 28 2017 09:03am
May 28 2017 10:33am
Quote (Zekdawg @ May 28 2017 03:51pm)
Surface? You mean area?
Basically you want to find the center of the circle though. You can use the fact that a tangent to a circle is perpendicular to a line from the center of the circle to the tangent point. Recall perpendicular refers to a negatove reciprocal slope. Use this fact to construct two equations and plug in the points to find center (x,y) of the circle.

Haha, surface/area got lost in translation there. What you mention now is what I did to solve this one. Good find, though. Any other possibility?
Gold: 0.00
May 29 2017 02:21pm
Quote (Forg0tten @ May 28 2017 11:33am)
Haha, surface/area got lost in translation there. What you mention now is what I did to solve this one. Good find, though. Any other possibility?

Due to the nature of the problem, I do not believe that there is more than one solution due to the fact that you are dealing with a fixed tangent point (not tangent line) and a point the circle must go through precisely. With any other radius, intersecting (1,2) and being tangent to the line at (-1,0) is not possible. Imagine that the circle starts off small from the tangent point and then grows until the other point is reached (solution). There is only one radius that this occurs at, the rest the point (-1,0) is either inside or outside of the circle.

If it simply had to be tangent to the line, then there would be infinite possibilities with infinite radii, but then the question could not point you toward an objective answer. It restricts the problem in this way so that there is only one objective answer.

This post was edited by Dontrunaway on May 29 2017 02:26pm
Jun 1 2017 08:52am
Quote (Dontrunaway @ May 29 2017 09:21pm)
Due to the nature of the problem, I do not believe that there is more than one solution due to the fact that you are dealing with a fixed tangent point (not tangent line) and a point the circle must go through precisely. With any other radius, intersecting (1,2) and being tangent to the line at (-1,0) is not possible. Imagine that the circle starts off small from the tangent point and then grows until the other point is reached (solution). There is only one radius that this occurs at, the rest the point (-1,0) is either inside or outside of the circle.

If it simply had to be tangent to the line, then there would be infinite possibilities with infinite radii, but then the question could not point you toward an objective answer. It restricts the problem in this way so that there is only one objective answer.

Indeed, that makes sense. How silly that I didn't think of that.
Well, learn something new every day. I can only know so much when proceeding in my crash course :P
Go Back To Homework Help Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll