d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Homework Help > Trying To Understand A Sentence
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 105,555.55
May 19 2017 03:48pm
Hey, this is not really homework but I'm reading this sentence and I don't understand it.

Ensures the limit of amount paid per person over 19 is every 24 months

I mean I do get the point, and I know what's part of it (mainly because I wrote the initial sentence prior to the change):

• there is a limit per person, which is ensured
  • that person must be over 19
  • the limit is ensured every 24 months

but how does last is in that sentence make sense? what does it refer to?
3 native speakers said it's a perfectly fine sentence, but to me that word is just completely misplaced and no one could explain why this is supposed to be correct.
Is there maybe some linguistic person around that has an explanation for that? I'd greatly appreciate it :D
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
May 19 2017 04:06pm
Quote (Dante @ May 19 2017 05:48pm)
Hey, this is not really homework but I'm reading this sentence and I don't understand it.

I mean I do get the point, and I know what's part of it (mainly because I wrote the initial sentence prior to the change):
  • there is a limit per person, which is ensured
  • that person must be over 19
  • the limit is ensured every 24 months

but how does last is in that sentence make sense? what does it refer to?
3 native speakers said it's a perfectly fine sentence, but to me that word is just completely misplaced and no one could explain why this is supposed to be correct.
Is there maybe some linguistic person around that has an explanation for that? I'd greatly appreciate it :D

You are right. This 'is' at the end changes the meaning. The sentence as is says that *something* makes it such that 24 months is guaranteed time to be paid that sum of money. Without the 'is' we get a new meaning, where it means each person is guaranteed an amount every 24 months. Both sentences are gramatically correct but have different meaning.

Tldr

Sentence with is: you ensure 24 months
Sentence without is: you ensure the payment every 24 months

Ensures 200 fg is paid for people who help is every hour
Ensures 200 fg is paid for people who help every hour

This post was edited by Zekdawg on May 19 2017 04:16pm
Gold: 105,555.55
May 19 2017 04:15pm
Quote (Zekdawg @ 19 May 2017 23:06)
You are right. This 'is' at the end changes the meaning. The sentence as is says that *something* makes it such that 24 months is guaranteed time to be paid that sum of money. Without the 'is' we get a new meaning, where it means each person is guaranteed an amount every 24 months. Both sentences are gramatically correct but have different meaning.

Tldr

This is what I've been thinking... Thank you for confirming it, I'd love it someone else dropped a comment, too
Gold: 6,723.69
May 20 2017 01:17am
Quote (Zekdawg @ May 19 2017 11:06pm)

Tldr

Ensures 200 fg is paid for people who help is every hour
Ensures 200 fg is paid for people who help every hour

I do not agree with you. This would be the case of ensures equals ensuring
The line is obviously referring to something, a process or whatever,
the "is" refers back to the "ensures"

--> Process A ensures that the limit of amount paid per B is C --> A ensures that the limit is C
Without is, you get a nonsensical sentence

(Process A) Ensures (that) the limit of B is C

Without "is", you'll have "(Process A) ensures (that) the limit of B C". This is not a sentence.

/e One may argue just how exactly an amount of payment can be expressed in months lol, the sentence in itself is implying that the folks get paid in months :p I assume you want it to state that the limit is redefined every 24 months.

This post was edited by Forg0tten on May 20 2017 01:20am
May 20 2017 07:15am
Quote (Forg0tten @ May 20 2017 03:17am)
I do not agree with you. This would be the case of ensures equals ensuring
The line is obviously referring to something, a process or whatever,
the "is" refers back to the "ensures"

--> Process A ensures that the limit of amount paid per B is C --> A ensures that the limit is C
Without is, you get a nonsensical sentence

(Process A) Ensures (that) the limit of B is C

Without "is", you'll have "(Process A) ensures (that) the limit of B C". This is not a sentence.

/e One may argue just how exactly an amount of payment can be expressed in months lol, the sentence in itself is implying that the folks get paid in months :p I assume you want it to state that the limit is redefined every 24 months.

You cant even spell preposterous

This post was edited by Zekdawg on May 20 2017 07:44am
May 21 2017 08:18am
Quote (Zekdawg @ May 20 2017 02:15pm)
You cant even spell preposterous

I am trying to help the OP, just like you are. Getting back at something unrelated (which I could do also, you had made one mistake in your reply. Can you find it? :) ) won't help the OP.
So what are you trying to achieve by mentioning I spelled one word wrongly in a quick response?

/e Oh, that's right. You're not here to help people but to try and earn FG lol. Nevertheless, I don't see what you're trying to achieve with your reply

This post was edited by Forg0tten on May 21 2017 08:18am
May 21 2017 09:06am
No im just saying someone who cant spell basic words should not be providing advice about grammar. There were so many things wrong about your argument i felt offended that yoy even botheres refuting my points. You are being subtle and ostentatious to me. I am just being blunt to you.

This post was edited by Zekdawg on May 21 2017 09:12am
May 22 2017 01:36am
Quote (Zekdawg @ May 21 2017 04:06pm)
No im just saying someone who cant spell basic words should not be providing advice about grammar. There were so many things wrong about your argument i felt offended that yoy even botheres refuting my points. You are being subtle and ostentatious to me. I am just being blunt to you.

No, I'm being a reasonable young man to you. Because that's what I am. But here's blunt, if you prefer.
Firstly, you PM'd me a line of four words with an adverb that refers to a verb without the -ly addition. Secondly, your explanation in this thread is literally nothing more than "without the word "is", it sounds like this!" There is no explanation, there's just an answer on a silver platter. Nobody learns from that, and if you haven't noticed that then please note that this is a homework help subforum. You help people with their homework. Thirdly, if you have the interacting capacity of a peeled onion then shove your opinion up in where the sun "don't" shine. Yes, don't, you dick, because that's how the saying goes, despite its grammatical flaw. If fucking up basic things is reason for one to not give their attempt to help somebody else then you have no reason to be in this subforum for any subject from what I have seen so far.

Now if you want more dick-me, feel free to reply. But please make sure that if you do so by PM, you do so correctly.

/e I can't believe you would go so far to try and belittle someone on a subforum because that person refused your preposterous offer "to help with mathematics for 1 day against 1k fg" without ANY proof of competence.

This post was edited by Forg0tten on May 22 2017 01:41am
May 22 2017 06:11am
Quote (Forg0tten @ May 22 2017 03:36am)
No, I'm being a reasonable young man to you. Because that's what I am. But here's blunt, if you prefer.
Firstly, you PM'd me a line of four words with an adverb that refers to a verb without the -ly addition. Secondly, your explanation in this thread is literally nothing more than "without the word "is", it sounds like this!" There is no explanation, there's just an answer on a silver platter. Nobody learns from that, and if you haven't noticed that then please note that this is a homework help subforum. You help people with their homework. Thirdly, if you have the interacting capacity of a peeled onion then shove your opinion up in where the sun "don't" shine. Yes, don't, you dick, because that's how the saying goes, despite its grammatical flaw. If fucking up basic things is reason for one to not give their attempt to help somebody else then you have no reason to be in this subforum for any subject from what I have seen so far.

Now if you want more dick-me, feel free to reply. But please make sure that if you do so by PM, you do so correctly.

/e I can't believe you would go so far to try and belittle someone on a subforum because that person refused your preposterous offer "to help with mathematics for 1 day against 1k fg" without ANY proof of competence.

You spelled it wrong.
You spelled it wrongly.
Both are correct, so stop trying to get smart with me.

Process A ensures B C blah blah blah. These are explanatipns on how you got your answers, not based on any grammatical rules of English.

The sentence as is makes sense but it is poorly constructed because it is verbose. The sentence would function without the latter 'is' because the implied <subject> ensures a payment every 24 months. I dont believe it woukd be constitued as a complete sentence though since the subject is missing yet it has logical implied meaning.

The sentence does not imply that the people get paid in months and the limit being redefined every 24 months...what?

You think im just being a dick but no i just dont like people who talk down to others when they teach them, especially if they are teaching others wrong or not doing their research. You dont even sound like a native speaker, not that it matters, but in your case it does because youre wrong all over the place.

This post was edited by Zekdawg on May 22 2017 06:39am
May 22 2017 01:09pm
Quote (Zekdawg @ May 22 2017 01:11pm)
You spelled it wrong.
You spelled it wrongly.
Both are correct, so stop trying to get smart with me. We'll name this 1

Process A ensures B C blah blah blah. These are explanatipns on how you got your answers, not based on any grammatical rules of English. We'll name this 2

The sentence as is makes sense but it is poorly constructed because it is verbose. The sentence would function without the latter 'is' because the implied <subject> ensures a payment every 24 months. I dont believe it woukd be constitued as a complete sentence though since the subject is missing yet it has logical implied meaning. We'll name this 3

The sentence does not imply that the people get paid in months and the limit being redefined every 24 months...what? Let's call this 4

You think im just being a dick but no i just dont like people who talk down to others when they teach them This'll be 5, especially if they are teaching others wrong or not doing their research That'll be 6. You dont even sound like a native speaker We'll set this as 7, not that it matters, but in your case it does because youre wrong all over the place And we'll call this 8.

As you can see, I numbered things that we're going to break down, just so that we're on the same page. (See that reference to Tower of Power? but never mind all that)

One. Formally, "you spelled it wrong" is not correct. Everybody says it is, and several great philosophers and authors have stated that "thinking makes it so" (or an equivalent statement), but it is technically quite wrong.

Two. Aye, my explanation uses rationalities rather than grammatical rules here. I figured it would be easier to understand. At least, I think it is. But that's me.

Three. I don't quite know how you can possibly get to your explanation at all. Perhaps that's my shortcoming, I don't know. I can't say for sure because I am not arrogant enough to call an argument false without understanding the argument in the first place.
The original sentence was: Ensures / the limit / of amount paid per person over 19 / is / every 24 months
Something is ensuring something else. We do not know what this original something is. I believe this is called the dangling participle in english, but I'm not sure. So we don't know who or what is ensuring anything at point, but we do know something is being ensured.
What is being ensured is the limit of amount paid per person over 19. We can replace pretty much the entirety of this bit by "the limit of something". We're being ensured of a limit, regardless of the parameters.
At this point we reach what the original poster was actually interested in. Here's a parameter of the limit. Indeed, it states "the limit of something / is / something else". In fact, if you leave out the word "is" here, the sentence would imply that the limit of amount paid per person over 19 is redefined every 24 months.
Then, we've got / every 24 months left. We haven't got an indirect object yet. Here it is. Your limit is set in every 24 months.

Look, I'm sure the sentence at this point has implications that I somehow don't see. But this is what the line says as I read it.

Four. See three.

Five. Aye, I think you're being very cocky at this point, and I can only imagine it is because you went out of your way to tell me I spelled something wrongly (and in doing so, I emphasize, made a mistake of your own) just because I had turned down your offer. Which I still think is beyond acceptable attitude, even on a forum, to offer in the first place. Then, in a thread where I simply view something differently than you do, you come back to that mistake that I had made in a private message, despite the fact that this is completely and utterly unrelated to said thread. So that's just your attempt at making a personal bash. I don't care, quite frankly I enjoy things like these up to a certain extend lol, but that's beside the point. But aye. I think you're a dick.

Oh, wait. Five again. Oops. I actually numbered it to comment on the "looking down on people" part. Browse through threads and see my posts. I am a dick to dicks, a student to tutors, an additional vote in polls, an opinion when asked, a tutor to students, whatever fits the situation. You apparently don't realize, but I'm only treating you equally. A little more elaborated as to the "why" part, perhaps, but there you have it. If you feel that I am treating others like I am looking down on them, then I can only take blame for my personality to be triggered easily. Nevertheless, and I hate to having to attribute this to anybody else but myself, I feel that you had this coming for being an inappropriate dick in the PM's, and for being an inappropriate dick after my first post in this thread, where miraculously we shared an initial goal. To help somebody else.

Six. I have yet to see you explain where I'm wrong and where you're right. So far, we've just been two opinions and, as far as I'm concerned, we're equally qualified. As a jsp member to one another, nothing more, nothing less. I hold no degree in any language, but I felt I could help this original poster anyway. I apologize if that was not in accordance to your expectations. Not sure where you got the idea to make it personal after that, but apparently your rude PM to me was cause for you to think I hold some sort grudge(?) where I belittle you by trying to post something in a homework help hotline subforum. Because gee, every second poster in a homework help hotline thread can only be bashing on the first poster.

Seven. True. I intend to get C2 after I found a full time job. But that's a long way within my branch sadly. Until then, I am but a man with a very small affinity for the English language.

Eight. See six.

Looking forward to your next reply,

Rik
Go Back To Homework Help Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll