d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Culinary Arts > Sushi > 🍣
Prev12347Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 54.10
Feb 21 2017 04:38pm
Quote (ReturnFormer @ Feb 21 2017 04:40am)
salmon with dill and preserved lemon with caraway on the outside instead of sesame. careful not to overdo the lemon, its strong...

I've done seared sesame tuna and bourbon glazed salmon in my rolls, but this is a good idea Ima actually make this my special next week Monday stay tuned for a pic :p
Feb 21 2017 06:13pm
Here's the bourbon glazed salmon roll I did made crispy onion strings n wasabi mayo to put on it

Feb 21 2017 06:25pm
Ima post sum pics of my wifes work, she is the sushi chef at crate-seafood and sushi, Your gonna tell a big difference in her plating all around d jus better lookin food as she is professional trained to do this I only have learned from her.

Gold: 8,224.05
Feb 22 2017 08:18am
Omg that's not sushi. Bastardization of an art.
Feb 22 2017 08:40am
Quote (hofx2 @ Feb 22 2017 09:18am)
Omg that's not sushi. Bastardization of an art.

Sushi is an art like all food, and you have to get goofy wit sushi otherwise all the shits the same,
Feb 22 2017 08:53am
Quote (Bigworm @ Feb 22 2017 09:40am)
Sushi is an art like all food, and you have to get goofy wit sushi otherwise all the shits the same,

I don't think so. Yeah you can think out of the box. I had foie gras sushi before, or tuna nigiri with a tofu emulsion on it... But you have to respect certain rules when it comes to sushi. You can't just throw a bunch of ingredients together and call it sushi.
Sushi should be about a really good quality rice, good quality seafood/fish, and clean flavors. Don't distract from the rice and the fish.
Imagine for a second that i'd throw 12 random ingredients with romaine lettuce. Would i still call it a cesar salad? I don't think so.

This post was edited by hofx2 on Feb 22 2017 08:53am
Feb 22 2017 09:03am
Quote (hofx2 @ Feb 22 2017 09:53am)
I don't think so. Yeah you can think out of the box. I had foie gras sushi before, or tuna nigiri with a tofu emulsion on it... But you have to respect certain rules when it comes to sushi. You can't just throw a bunch of ingredients together and call it sushi.
Sushi should be about a really good quality rice, good quality seafood/fish, and clean flavors. Don't distract from the rice and the fish.
Imagine for a second that i'd throw 12 random ingredients with romaine lettuce. Would i still call it a cesar salad? I don't think so.

Sushi is just vingaer rice everything else after that is what you want, ppl make the mistake of thinking it has to have raw fish or any kinda fish or sum kind of rules, you can put whatever you want inside it, if you like sushi and it's about the raw fish for you, then you don't order sushi rolls when you go out you get nigiri or sushimi, otherwise ppl do like the fusion of the ingredients, texture many flavors.
Feb 22 2017 09:07am
Quote (hofx2 @ Feb 22 2017 09:53am)

If everyone roll is the same just diffrent fish it would have no appeal, and ppl would get bored of it fast, they come up with new rolls quite often to keep customers comin back to try there new rolls, because they are good have fusion and look appealing, not just a rice roll wit sesame seeds on it
Feb 22 2017 09:19am
Quote (Bigworm @ Feb 22 2017 10:03am)
Sushi is just vingaer rice everything else after that is what you want, ppl make the mistake of thinking it has to have raw fish or any kinda fish or sum kind of rules, you can put whatever you want inside it, if you like sushi and it's about the raw fish for you, then you don't order sushi rolls when you go out you get nigiri or sushimi, otherwise ppl do like the fusion of the ingredients, texture many flavors.

lol i know what sushi is. I lived 6 months in Japan. That's why i mentionned the rice first, then comes the fish. Yes sushi doesn't mean raw fish, but let's say sushi and fish/seafood usually goes together. I've eaten sushis all around the world, in michelin starred restaurants, and more simple places. And yeah i'm sorry but they are rules to it. Like they are certain rules for certain style of french or italian cooking etc... You don't get to mix rice with random ingredients and call it sushi, just like if you cook pasta and mix it with idk curry sauce or pulled pork you don't get to call this italian cooking.

At the end yeah you can cook whatever... i don't think they really are "rules" in cooking. But when you call stuff with specific names, like sushi, you have to respect the essence of that recipe.
Maybe in most american minds what you do can be called sushi. But in Japan this wouldnt be called sushi, and in my mind as well.

Edit : and oh if u think you have to mix total random stuff in sushi to be different from others... then i'm really sorry but you know fuck all about sushi. Like i said i've went to lots of different sushi places around the world. And they were all different. Not because they were using 10 000 different ingredients. But because they will use different type of rice. Diff type of vinegar. Diff type of soy sauce or glaze. Diff techniques when it comes to prepping fish etc etc but by looking at your pictures i don't think you would make the differences.

This post was edited by hofx2 on Feb 22 2017 09:23am
Feb 22 2017 09:25am
Quote (hofx2 @ Feb 22 2017 10:19am)
lol i know what sushi is. I lived 6 months in Japan. That's why i mentionned the rice first, then comes the fish. Yes sushi doesn't mean raw fish, but let's say sushi and fish/seafood usually goes together. I've eaten sushis all around the world, in michelin starred restaurants, and more simple places. And yeah i'm sorry but they are rules to it. Like they are certain rules for certain style of french or italian cooking etc... You don't get to mix rice with random ingredients and call it sushi, just like if you cook pasta and mix it with idk curry sauce or pulled pork you don't get to call this italian cooking.

At the end yeah you can cook whatever... i don't think they really are "rules" in cooking. But when you call stuff with specific names, like sushi, you have to respect the essence of that recipe.
Maybe in most american minds what you do can be called sushi. But in Japan this wouldnt be called sushi, and in my mind as well.

I understand what your saying, but there is much more room for experimenting with sushi, once you have the main components there's nothing wrong with goin out the box ppl like it , and it's what keeps there restraunt busy and successful, we've had many Asian or japense ppl eat the sushi and love it surprisingly.
Go Back To Culinary Arts Topic List
Prev12347Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll