d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Automation, Robots, And Unemployment
12319Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,489.69
Feb 20 2017 02:29pm
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/mark-cuban-robots-cause-unemployment-105031492.html

I come across these articles a lot, and as someone in the industry i feel it's my duty to spread info to hopefully help some people see the light before it's too late if they are in effected fields.

I may post longer later, especially on my ideas of urban agriculture to combat the unemployment and poor diets caused by a government provided food stamp diet, but for now i'll just dump in articles from time to time when i see them.
Gold: 500.00
Feb 20 2017 02:31pm
kill the snipa, save the jobs
Feb 20 2017 02:44pm
Quote (duffman316 @ Feb 20 2017 02:31pm)
kill the snipa, save the jobs

I have designed a squad of robot body guards willing to take infinite bullets for their master.
Gold: 109.01
Feb 20 2017 02:48pm
Well it looks like we have a tech giant on the case suggesting an anti modernization policy. It would he appear he takes a similar approach as the Amish then.

The difference between Amish people and most other Americans is the deliberation that takes place before deciding whether to embrace a new technology. Many Americans assume newer technology is always better, and perhaps even inherently good.

"The Amish don't buy that," says Donald Kraybill, professor at Elizabethtown College and co-author of The Amish. "They're more cautious — more suspicious — wondering is this going to be helpful or is it going to be detrimental? Is it going to bolster our life together, as a community, or is it going to somehow tear it down?"

Bill Gates Says Robots Should Be Taxed Like Workers

In a new interview with Quartz, Microsoft founder Bill Gates makes a rather stunning argument—that robots who replace human workers should incur taxes equivalent to that worker’s income taxes.
“Right now, the human worker who does, say, $50,000 worth of work in a factory, that income is taxed . . . If a robot comes in to do the same thing, you’d think that we’d tax the robot at a similar level.”

Gates argues that these taxes, paid by a robot's owners or makers, would be used to help fund labor force retraining. Former factory workers, drivers, and cashiers would be transitioned to health services, education, or other fields where human workers will remain vital. Gates even suggests the policy would intentionally “slow down the speed of that adoption [of automation] somewhat,” giving more time to manage the broader transition.

If and when a Universal basic income is proposed to address automation technology in nearly all industries (it was nearly passed under Nixon) whats to prevent the market from simply increasing the cost of goods without price fixing and then the expected scarcity?

This post was edited by Master_Zappy on Feb 20 2017 02:52pm
Gold: 4,383.11
Feb 20 2017 02:48pm
this is going to get ugly, the need for low skilled labour will drop while the crowd needing those jobs is increasing
there is a research group at my university " industry 4.0", really interesting stuff

i hope you guys can make it profitable enough to have some spare money for the welfare state

This post was edited by ampoo on Feb 20 2017 02:49pm
Feb 20 2017 02:55pm
Quote (Master_Zappy @ Feb 20 2017 02:48pm)
Well it looks like we have tech giant on the case suggesting an anti modernization policy. It would he appear he takes a similar approach as the Amish then.

Bill Gates Says Robots Should Be Taxed Like Workers

If and when a Universal basic income is proposed to address automation technology in nearly all industries (it was nearly passed under Nixon) whats to prevent the market from simply increasing the cost of goods without price fixing and then the expected scarcity?

the eventual universal income will likely bring with it changes that make market forces less powerful. In the same way that a govt. single payer insurance policy has them setting prices based on demand and available funds the universal income world will be in my opinion the same. When the government is the predominant buyer of all goods on behalf of the population they dole it out to demand won't be a thing.

As to the first, are you suggesting we reject automation? Or simply comparing it to the Amish for contrast?
Gold: 6,351.00
Feb 20 2017 02:56pm
Quote (ampoo @ Feb 20 2017 01:48pm)
this is going to get ugly, the need for low skilled labour will drop while the crowd needing those jobs is increasing
there is a research group at my university " industry 4.0", really interesting stuff

i hope you guys can make it profitable enough to have some spare money for the welfare state

And then the simpletons wander why bringing in millions of people from 3rd world nations is a bad idea. We have a growing poor class, but hmm... I think bringing in more consumers of those safety nets and depressing wages with a flood of cheap labor will be great :rolleyes:

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Feb 20 2017 02:56pm
Gold: 4,383.11
Feb 20 2017 03:01pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ 20 Feb 2017 21:56)
And then the simpletons wander why bringing in millions of people from 3rd world nations is a bad idea. We have a growing poor class, but hmm... I think bringing in more consumers of those safety nets and depressing wages with a flood of cheap labor will be great :rolleyes:

no way :o
Feb 20 2017 03:02pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Feb 20 2017 02:56pm)

well yes and no. many cleaning and landscaping type hard manual labor jobs will take a long time to automate. i guess if u want to scrub toilets instead of importing people to do it (if you're a euro living in a 90% white ivory tower) be my guest.
Gold: 6,351.00
Feb 20 2017 03:11pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Feb 20 2017 02:02pm)
well yes and no. many cleaning and landscaping type hard manual labor jobs will take a long time to automate. i guess if u want to scrub toilets instead of importing people to do it (if you're a euro living in a 90% white ivory tower) be my guest.

So you do agree that the influx of cheap labor depresses wages right?

You do realize that logically you positions don't really make sense. On one hand you're arguing that automation is inevitable and we need to gear up for a welfare state while simultaneously saying that continuous immigration to this country by people that overwhelmingly that will fall under the umbrella of those needing the help is a good thing. It's like we live in a world where all our services are provided free of charge and not contributions from taxpayers.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
12319Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll