d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Tennis > Do You Think There's Any Value In A Match Stats > Database?
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,407.00
Feb 6 2017 09:20am
Hello everyone,

I am a software developer and I have taken a couple classes about data science. I also love tennis. I have tossed the idea around of making a database for tennis match statistics (each player's 1st serve percentage, winners/unforced errors, etc) for the purpose of statistical analysis. The goal is to be able to predict who is going to win a match based on their recent performance.

So my question is, would this be interesting to anyone? As far as I know, there's no where online where the statistics for each match is posted, so I figure this would involve skipping to the end of record matches and manually entering the stats they show on screen. This would have to be a crowd source effort since I'd imagine there are thousands of matches a year.

Like i said, just some thoughts I've been working with, I have not begun actually creating anything yet. But if anyone has an ideas or thinks this might be worth while, please let me know. :)
Gold: 2,407.00
Feb 6 2017 09:52am
Just found out that tennisabstract.com does have a project for shot-by-shot match stats, so this may just be wasted effort.
Gold: 6,670.00
Feb 6 2017 06:05pm
Yeah man, there are already databases and stat analysis out there for head to head matchups, players against a different style of play %, etc...

Gold: 1,250.00
Apr 12 2017 03:07pm
Quote (Mastersam93 @ Feb 6 2017 11:52am)
Just found out that tennisabstract.com does have a project for shot-by-shot match stats, so this may just be wasted effort.

Bummer. Thought you might be on to something.
Go Back To Tennis Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll