d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Science, Technology & Nature > Climate Change > Pertaining To Geology
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 542.20
Jan 26 2017 09:05am
I attended a college in the US, and one class I took was an entry level geology class, about tectonic movement and rocks and such. And this data thing was kind of randomly just presented to the class one day on a little chart handed out by our Venezuelan international TA.
Here is what the chart said tho, it was basically a graph which looked at the average temperature over a long period of time maybe like 100,000 years. They were somehow able to measure this temperature because it is somehow recorded in rocks or glaciers, I cant recall to well.
Anyway what this graph showed was, that about every 10,000 years, the average temperature would rise to a period of high temperatures, and then fall to a period of low average temperature. And this was repeated in a cycle, up then down, up then down, almost every 10,000 years it seemed.
Now this was only one piece of data that I have seen and it was at my college so it may or may not be propaganda. But it showed that temperatures were changing even before industry. in a pattern.

So this is just one piece but just the way it was presented to me in this class, it wasn't even brought up with any kind of spin on man made global warming. it was just a graph which provided data showing fluxuation in temperature. I kind of vaguely remember going over it with the TA who was teaching the class, and pointed out that the temperature seemed to rise and fall every 10,000 years, and he just kind of said yep. Now at the time (like around 2008 or 2009) the theory of global warming was around and kind of known, but didn't really have anywhere near the recognition or backing that it has gained in years since. I realized at the time that this data presented to us in our geology class was somewhat disproving of the theory, but didn't really bring that up with the TA or the class.

Now I know this is just one piece of evidence that I saw, and there are probably countless others that suggest global warming, but this graph always kind of stuck with me. This was just an entry level class and I didn't go on to major in geology or anything so not an expert.
But I was wonder if anyone has seen studies about this same data I was shown, basically saying global temperature for one reason or another rises and falls in almost a predictable way every X number of years.

I'm not a supporter or denier really, I'm kind of on the fence about the issue. But was hoping if anyone else has seen stuff about this and/or is in a geology related field. or anyone welcome to discuss.

I'm sorry I don't have a source but, I will try and do some research,

Basically measurements thru rock or glaciers show that there has been a pattern of repeated climb and decent in regards to global temperature since before man-made factors were involved. This cycle is may still be going and we are at a point of high global tempertures.
The graph also seemed to show that this warming was very rapid in comparison to the cooling, like if 1 cycle was 10,000 years, the warming would occur and peak in about 1000 years and then cool over the next 9000.

ty

This post was edited by GuyLadouche on Jan 26 2017 09:08am
Gold: 2,489.69
Jan 26 2017 09:30am
literally every study i've seen on the matter compares the known natural cycle of warming/cooling to what we are experiencing to show the difference in rate.

too often, and i'm not saying this is you, people use the existence of cycles to set asside global warming as a myth. i got into an argument with someone who said "the polar ice caps melted X years ago and the world didnt end" as evidence that this is "all natural".

what he didn't reference was the massive ecological shift that this could cause, especially ocean acidification, and the fact that artificially produced CO2 was not a natural factor. I have not seen a single scientific study that suggests man is not contributing to the climate change we can observe, nor that given the continuing trends and enough of a timeline that consequences won't be dire. Some suggest we could start to see bad things happening inside of 50 years, some say they are happening now and we just havent caught up, some say it could be centuries, but all agree it is happening and no one is suggesting it will be offset by a cooling period that ive seen from a scientific source.
Gold: 260.11
Jan 26 2017 03:49pm
The reason man made global warming is significant is because the changes we are seeing would normally happen over thousands of years, but it's happened in the past 50 this time. Big difference.
Gold: 0.00
Jan 26 2017 06:17pm
we can go to the moon, the deepest parts of the ocean, split the atom, map our brain, replace vital organs........but somehow the line gets drawn here on what mankind can accomplish.

this is why deniers are considered mentally challenged cabbage people.
Jan 26 2017 08:59pm
Quote (Subwoofer @ Jan 27 2017 12:17am)
we can go to the moon, the deepest parts of the ocean, split the atom, map our brain, replace vital organs........but somehow the line gets drawn here on what mankind can accomplish.

this is why deniers are considered mentally challenged cabbage people.

didnt say I denied if that's what ur implying, but I'm just saying that there could be global temperature rises and drops through out the course of earths history. Maybe there is proof that this rate of change is increased by man made factors, I haven't really looked into that much.

But there seems to be studies, data, and claims showing that this certain period in history where man has rapidly increased global temps in comparison to the history of earth. But if so, how much so?

Man-made factors are like a 100 year period in the history of earth, in comparison of about 4.5 billion overall, with like like half of that or less where the earth was in the inhabitable state it is in.

So these things have only been recorded or noticed for less than 1% of earths history, and I just don't know how accurately they can record the rate of temperature changes now in comparison thru out history. LIke I said in my class this study used some method to see temperatures from a while back (thousands of years) recorded in rock or glacier ice, but can they accurately measure that almost year by year, or decade by decade,century etc. I just don't know how exact the science is. But they can record year by year day etc in todays sense.

I think a real pressing problem is pollution, things like garbage floating around in ocean. There is literally an island of plastic in ocean the size of texas, if not larger. Plastic once it breaks down into microscopic gets into ecosystem and can cause problems. Countries like China are so polluted you have to wear a mask when u go outside. Deforestation in south america. These are important issues going on across the globe which I think are big problems for the planet.

I guess what I'm asking is what is the main argument that supports climate change, and the main cause of it? IM just not that well informed on it.

This post was edited by GuyLadouche on Jan 26 2017 09:02pm
Jan 26 2017 10:54pm
i am not implying anything about you, just those who think man hasn't had an astounding impact on the natural cycle of climate change.

ice core drilling is a way they look back hundreds thousands of years and see what the atmosphere was like. much like counting rings in a tree or layers in rock to detect volcanic activity you can use ice cores to find out what the atmosphere was like.

pollution and climate change go hand in hand. we have upset the balance that keeps climate change a slow cycle and dramatically increased its timeline due to our atmospheric pollution.

for example our human induced CO2 pollution has increases temperatures so rapidly in permafrost regions that instead of releasing it's trapped in ice c02 deposits slowly over the period of climate change it dumps it out in massive numbers because too much of it thaws so quickly which only makes polar regions warm up even faster from greenhouse gases which in turn melts more permafrost and releases even more greenhouse gases.

this is all well documented and modeled to show its effects and we still have high level government officials that say this 100% logical outcome isn't a real thing.

think of climate change as a foot on a gas pedal. normally the pedal would of stayed steady and balanced for the most part, but once you unnaturally add a little more force to that pedal it creates a runaway acceleration.
Jan 27 2017 12:56am
that's perfectly logical and I hear what ur saying,

but just something about this one study I saw made it look like global temperatures since before man made factors, has been rising and falling.

And I vaguely remember that it was either a very rapid rise followed by a longer cooling, or a longer period of temp rise followed by a rapid cool. I want to say that it was the first, rapid rise followed by slow cool.

The question is, are man made factors being the sole basis of blame when if comes to climate change?, or is it part of earths natural cycle with some man made factors contributing?

What are some things that can be done to counter act this? because I see a lot of people complaining about climate change but are still willing to drive a personal car to the store.

Technology is just not there yet. and is this notion of climate change hindering the United states economy in a way that would slow the progression of technology leading to change/innovation.

Certainly we don't want to pollute the way china is, and some regulations and protections are good, but is too much harmful?

Jan 27 2017 01:13am
Quote (GuyLadouche @ Jan 27 2017 12:56am)
that's perfectly logical and I hear what ur saying,

but just something about this one study I saw made it look like global temperatures since before man made factors, has been rising and falling.

And I vaguely remember that it was either a very rapid rise followed by a longer cooling, or a longer period of temp rise followed by a rapid cool. I want to say that it was the first, rapid rise followed by slow cool.

The question is, are man made factors being the sole basis of blame when if comes to climate change?, or is it part of earths natural cycle with some man made factors contributing?

What are some things that can be done to counter act this? because I see a lot of people complaining about climate change but are still willing to drive a personal car to the store.

Technology is just not there yet. and is this notion of climate change hindering the United states economy in a way that would slow the progression of technology leading to change/innovation.

Certainly we don't want to pollute the way china is, and some regulations and protections are good, but is too much harmful?

it's definitely a natural cycle it's just not supposed to happen within a single lifetime unless something crazy happens like a massive asteroid strike that blocks out sunlight or the like.

humans aren't the ones that are going to be paying heavily for this turn of events in the short term. we aren't starving because sea ice recedes too early in the year like a polar bear for example.

fossil fuels being completely cut out of the picture would go a long ways in helping it slow down and give us time to create technologies to control our planets climate.

the real issue is that we grew populations way way way too fast because of fossil fuel use and to cut it out means hundreds of millions of people simply can't live in a "modern" way once we cut out stuff like polluting power plants and factories.

look at tech like catalytic converters. it's not some grand machine that has godlike powers, but it accomplishes a very very very important thing for our polluting combustion engine vehicles.

this is a problem that can't be fixed by anything short of a catastrophe because a person is smart, but people are dumb.
Warn: 20%
Feb 12 2017 02:35pm
Overpopulation+Modern Technology
Rip Homo sapiens
Gold: 2,140.00
May 14 2017 07:53pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Jan 26 2017 04:49pm)
The reason man made global warming is significant is because the changes we are seeing would normally happen over thousands of years, but it's happened in the past 50 this time. Big difference.

Not denying or confirming man made global warming, but a 50 year set of temperature data means literally nothing and is a ridiculously small sample size. If we could record every 50 year cycle of temperatures going back a million years, accurately like we can now, I'm sure there would be thousands of examples of 50 year temperature changes that exceed the one you are speaking of.
Go Back To Science, Technology & Nature Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll