d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Science, Technology & Nature > Ketogenic Diet > Scientific Discussion And Blog
Prev1192021222332Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,617.52
Jun 13 2018 09:09pm
Quote (the_rest @ Jun 9 2018 10:05am)
There are 'good' carbohydrates. These don't assimilate fast. They have a complex molecule. They are unlike the 'bad' carbs, which have a simple molecule.

also, there is bad fat and good fat.

and you shouldn't mix different protein types.

This is pseudoscientific bullshit spread by teen magazines
Gold: 6,723.69
Jun 15 2018 06:04am
Quote (EndlessSky @ Jan 19 2017 06:27pm)
Two weeks ago I started a Ketogenic diet. Its been working wonderfully, so I wanted to start a discussion and showcase what happens. It will be an interesting experiment because I am a type: I diabetic. The results of the diet are not well documented for young diabetics.

The diet works on a few simple principles:

- the body has three sources of fuel: carbohydrates, fat, and protein. Ketogenic diet forces your body to use fat And amino acids. We are unable to convert fat into glucose and that's going to kill our brain by cutting carbohydrates out of your diet COMPLETELY Nein, the cut-off is <10% of energy intake depending on your source. Some say <15%. It's sheerly and utterly impossible to hit 0%.

- normally, your body burns carbohydrates that are stored in the form of glycogen. After three days (Your glycogen stores are generally about 16h)without carbohydrates, the body enters ketosis Nah the first week is mostly tearing on your glucogenic amino acids. Ketosis doesn't really happen until about one week after cutting carbs to <10% of energy intake, it just takes that long for new balance to occur. Three days in is about the start of gene expression induction, but it takes a few days to hit a level of balance. , which means the body has run out of glycogen and is now burning fat 24/7 As well as amino acids. There's a reason that you have to take a fuckload of amino acids in that diet. Your brain can only use ketobodies for up to 50% for its energy bill, it doesn't have enough receptors to cover the remaining 50%. Gluconeogenesis is therefore a dire necessity (this does begin prior to ketogenesis, in fact it'll happen even before you run out of glycogen) to keep your brain running.

- you can test for ketosis using ketostix which check the presence of ketones in the urine pathological levels of ketoacidosis are impossible to induce through diet, though relevant for you as a diabetic I person

- you eat awesome fatty foods like bacon, cheese, meats, pork rinds, low-sugar vegetables. Ill probably share some ketogenic recipes here since they taste awesome and are more filling than carbohydrate-rich foods Looking forward to this!

- you feel much better. Carbohydrates normally cause constant low levels of inflammation in the body This is only proven for people with obesity. The 'feeling better' is more due to changes in your cortisol equilibrium and changes in expression (i.e. sensitivity) to other hormones that play a role in ketogenic lifestyle (mostly sensitivity to adrenaline is upregulated by a lot)

- interestingly I go to the gym, and Ive noticed that my burst strength is significantly diminished. Without glycogen, the body loses its ability to rapidly produce energy from carbohydrates. I have also found that your burst energy returns IF you eat up fats and oils before you work out. Duh. Fast-twitch type fibers work exclusively with glycogen. In a constant level of high-glucagon low-insulin your body has no interest in making glycogen. It's possible to regain a part of this kind of force as you will eventually learn to recruit more slow fibers. Glucose uptake (for creation of glycogen) is also blocked since glucose levels are far too low and brain GLUT channels have a far higher affinity than other GLUT channels (id est, the first bits and pieces of glucose in your blood will immediately be soaked up by the brains; your body prioritizes some organs over others)

- people with a sweet tooth can buy carbohydrate-free erythritol and stevia to sweeten tea, drinks, smoothies, and even choclate to get rid of cravings. After two weeks, the human addiction to sugar actually completely disappears
That helps, stevia is pretty rich in phenylalanine I think, an AA that can serve for both ketobody synthesis and glucose synthesis. Also very true, sugar cravings disappear in less than no time :) Plus, the times you do eat sugar makes the taste so much more intense.

I have lost 1.5lbs per week in the first two weeks on about 1,500 calories a day. Will provide updates and answer any questions here as it progresses. I plan to lose about 20 pounds and keep the diet up permanently if it works. The glycogen stores and its surrounding water (glycogen storage is paired up with a lot of water) is easily lost in the first week, that's why people always have great success with losing weight in the first little while. Keep in mind that adipose tissue adaption will take you a little while longer, so you'll have to keep up the diet for a while before you will find you have lost 20 pounds.

So far I'd recommend this diet to anyone. The initial hurdle of going cold turkey on carbohydrates is well worth it.

My biggest argument against starting said diet is that it's more expensive than eating carbohydrate rich meals. It's sad because I'd be very happy to try this diet myself. There's some mild evidence that it increases the risk of gallbladder pathology though.
Gold: 2,489.69
Jun 15 2018 08:51am
Quote (Forg0tten @ Jun 15 2018 06:04am)
My biggest argument against starting said diet is that it's more expensive than eating carbohydrate rich meals. It's sad because I'd be very happy to try this diet myself. There's some mild evidence that it increases the risk of gallbladder pathology though.

is there any healthy diet that can't be "argued" the same way?

the only ones i can think of that are more simple, and less expensive, are fad crash diets such as the "only sweet potato diet" or the "honey, water, and cayenne pepper cleanse".
Jun 24 2018 10:21am
Started using lifesum cellphone app to track calories/eating.

Very intuitive, quick, and straightforward. Makes it satisfying to know that all of your choices are putting you in the right direction.
Jun 24 2018 10:25am
Two amazing cheats I've found for dieting are cinnamon and paprika.

If you have a craving for sweet or savory foods, a small pinch of cinnamon (less than a teaspoon unless you want to have a coughing fit) or a bigger pinch of paprika gives you a burst of flavor without any added calories. Cinnamon is great with tea and paprika is great on vegetables too.
Jul 12 2018 05:37pm
Bump
Gold: 260.11
Jul 13 2018 07:56am
Quote (EndlessSky @ Jun 13 2018 09:09pm)
This is pseudoscientific bullshit spread by teen magazines

Its actually based on the degree of branching of the carbohydrate chains.
Jul 14 2018 05:47am
Quote (Thor123422 @ Jul 13 2018 09:56am)
Its actually based on the degree of branching of the carbohydrate chains.

People who unironically eat whole wheat bread should be shot
Gold: 0.00
Jul 14 2018 07:56pm
Quote (EndlessSky @ Jul 14 2018 06:47am)
People who unironically eat whole wheat bread should be shot

i don't..l.dont shoot me plz
Gold: 0.00
Jul 28 2018 08:34pm
now seeing articles about this "Diet" ...
Go Back To Science, Technology & Nature Topic List
Prev1192021222332Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll