d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Science, Technology & Nature > Ketogenic Diet > Scientific Discussion And Blog
Prev191011121332Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 260.11
Aug 21 2017 08:07pm
Quote (tommyd323 @ Aug 21 2017 02:21pm)
This and there's hardly any debate.

The only thing good about the Keto diet is that it often incorporates more protein into your diet, key for maintaining muscle mass and keeping satiated.

Its not that simple
Gold: 1,803.00
Aug 21 2017 08:34pm
Do some reading into the Gary Taubes vs Alan Aragon feud and lmk fellas

Let's not act afraid of a single macronutrient.

I'm not saying the keto diet won't work, I'm just saying it's not the goat

This post was edited by tommyd323 on Aug 21 2017 09:02pm
Gold: 119,903.34
Aug 21 2017 10:05pm
Quote (tommyd323 @ Aug 21 2017 03:21pm)
This and there's hardly any debate.

The only thing good about the Keto diet is that it often incorporates more protein into your diet, key for maintaining muscle mass and keeping satiated.

I used to think this was the case but do research on how carbohydrates and fats are broken down by the body. There's also even hormonal factors at play.

Calorie in vs Calorie out can be used as a general rule and you should aim to always measure or take note of the calories you eat are , but carb heavy diets will always be bigger influences with in respect to weight gain.

It's a pretty complex process. This isn't to say that someone has any valid reason to be obese but people eating high sugar/carb diets only have a harder path to maintaining a stable healthier weight.

Quote (tommyd323 @ Aug 21 2017 09:34pm)
Do some reading into the Gary Taubes vs Alan Aragon feud and lmk fellas

Let's not act afraid of a single macronutrient.

I'm not saying the keto diet won't work, I'm just saying it's not the goat

Most people are regularly eating fast food and cheap processed foods at grocery stores , these foods all have sugar and simple carbs in them. Which is a pretty big issue.

If people were eating Cheerios without adding sugar to it or eating just plain non sweetened Oatmeal , then it wouldn't be a problem.

But the current intake of carbs and sugars going in the US is pretty much going to result in a lot of people dying at 55 instead of 80.

This post was edited by sir_lance_bb on Aug 21 2017 10:09pm
Gold: 6,723.69
Aug 23 2017 06:52am
@OP Hello! I'm glad for you that your diet is working wonders =) Many things have been said and told and adviced and what not in this thread so far. I'm hoping to be able to just add some thoughts without recommending or compelling people to do things, because I don't think people listen best to advice that was forced on them.

Firstly, I am curious to learn more about the ketogenic diet as you practice it. With the cutting of carbohydrates you would need another source of energy that would technically have to be larger in volume to achieve the same amount of energy (proteins, for example, give a lot less energy per mass than carbohydrates. Fats give slightly more but if I remember correctly we do not absorb all the fats that we consume). I can imagine that this causes changes in your body on a much larger scale than just losing weight.
Secondly, I would like to express compliments for having chosen such a diet in consideration of your diabetes. I can imagine that a no-carb diet works wonders for you with respect to insulin levels. You won't have to inject much before meals now, I guess, and it's more stable I would think? Let me know!
Lastly, I'd like to inquire about your thoughts on the diet as a whole, rather than just the changes you go through. More specifically, and I'm not trying to sound like a treehugger here, how hard is it on the mental side of life? With just 1500 calories while exercising I assume you go to bed with a feeling you wouldn't mind a T-bone steak before falling asleep haha. That's all about mental fortitude, but not every diet is as straining as the next and this might be influenced by the details of a diet.

Oh, I guess I want to say also, in response to your comment on scientific research within this subject, that research in nutritional values and this entire field is a very difficult thing to interpret. Many a paper published are not fully free of ties with the industrial facets and Universities that have a relatively low influx of cash are not inclined to publish papers that demolish certain interventions. It would cause them to lose face, so even though there might be X articles on how awesome intervention A is, there's probably also X articles that were never published on how terrible intervention A is.

Let me know through PM when and if you replied, I'm happy to learn more about this!

Rik
Gold: 2,118.35
Aug 24 2017 03:14am
Let's all cite our research.

So far, Tommys reference of the Alan Aragon v Gary Taubes debate holds all the key data for an informed decision.
Gold: 2,617.52
Aug 24 2017 06:40pm
Quote (Forg0tten @ Aug 23 2017 08:52am)
@OP Hello! I'm glad for you that your diet is working wonders =) Many things have been said and told and adviced and what not in this thread so far. I'm hoping to be able to just add some thoughts without recommending or compelling people to do things, because I don't think people listen best to advice that was forced on them.

Firstly, I am curious to learn more about the ketogenic diet as you practice it. With the cutting of carbohydrates you would need another source of energy that would technically have to be larger in volume to achieve the same amount of energy (proteins, for example, give a lot less energy per mass than carbohydrates. Fats give slightly more but if I remember correctly we do not absorb all the fats that we consume). I can imagine that this causes changes in your body on a much larger scale than just losing weight.
Secondly, I would like to express compliments for having chosen such a diet in consideration of your diabetes. I can imagine that a no-carb diet works wonders for you with respect to insulin levels. You won't have to inject much before meals now, I guess, and it's more stable I would think? Let me know!
Lastly, I'd like to inquire about your thoughts on the diet as a whole, rather than just the changes you go through. More specifically, and I'm not trying to sound like a treehugger here, how hard is it on the mental side of life? With just 1500 calories while exercising I assume you go to bed with a feeling you wouldn't mind a T-bone steak before falling asleep haha. That's all about mental fortitude, but not every diet is as straining as the next and this might be influenced by the details of a diet.

Oh, I guess I want to say also, in response to your comment on scientific research within this subject, that research in nutritional values and this entire field is a very difficult thing to interpret. Many a paper published are not fully free of ties with the industrial facets and Universities that have a relatively low influx of cash are not inclined to publish papers that demolish certain interventions. It would cause them to lose face, so even though there might be X articles on how awesome intervention A is, there's probably also X articles that were never published on how terrible intervention A is.

Let me know through PM when and if you replied, I'm happy to learn more about this!

Rik

The human body can digest fats just as easily as carbohydrates. The body uses bile salts to digest and uses beta oxidation to metabolize them - as much as you could possibly eat.

Compared to a normal diet, it is much easier to limit yourself or even fast, because the insulin that normally triggers the body's hunger response is not present since there are no carbohydrates. You are right about the insulin too. I now only use 7 units of insulin per day. I used 50 per day before.

To summarize the process of the diet
1) The hardest part is finding 10 recipes you like enough to fill up your week (85% fat 10% protein 5% carbs)
2) After three days, your gut bacteria "adjust" to the diet and cause mild discomfort that only lasts a day or two
3) You need to have more electrolytes than usual because this diet increases the amount that your kidneys work
4) Caffeine helps too

This paper below explains all of the health benefits of a fat diet vs a carb/protein diet. Excess carbs and protein in the blood changes your body's hormonal signalling in a way that disallows the cleaning of toxins. Under a high fat diet, the body is constantly detox-ing. High-fat/ketogenic diet has been proven to reduce if not eliminate all occurrence of diabetes/cancer. There are no incentives here other than honest science.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3390257
Gold: 0.00
Aug 29 2017 01:55am
i wish you good luck with your progress and hope you'll have lot of fun on this journey!
Gold: 327.01
Aug 30 2017 10:36am
I wonder if it works for me
Gold: 0.00
Sep 1 2017 07:34pm
no clue what this thread is about...dont even care really...

:)
Gold: 2,617.52
Sep 22 2017 07:04pm
Great recipe: Turmeric Cauliflower

Has a satisfying crunch and a very savory taste because cauliflower picks up flavor well.

Start by simmering a spoon of turmeric with two spoons of coconut oil. Add a spoon of lemon juice and two cloves of minced garlic as the turmeric mixes.

After the garlic is heated up, add the cauliflower in small florets and stir until the turmeric paste is mixed throughout to a mellow yellow color.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

Usually at ideal hardness/texture after 8 minutes.

This post was edited by EndlessSky on Sep 22 2017 07:04pm
Go Back To Science, Technology & Nature Topic List
Prev191011121332Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll