d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Graphic Design > Photography > Spoiled A Pretty Good Picture :(
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 9,473.00
Nov 20 2016 03:52am
Was out in the nature yesterday.

Brought home a few pictures. The one I now afterwards think was the best has a part of the tripod in it. Kinda spoils it pretty bad :(
Nothing done to it except for auto adjustment in lightroom and white balance correction.

This post was edited by Fil on Nov 20 2016 03:53am
Gold: 125.00
Nov 21 2016 08:57pm
Nice shot :)

I would brighten that up a bit, and paint some exposure over some of it to create the illusion of some dynamic lighting/contrast.

You can edit out the tripod leg no problem. Might take a bit of time to do.

This post was edited by Canadian_Man on Nov 21 2016 08:58pm
Nov 22 2016 02:08pm
Quote (Canadian_Man @ 22 Nov 2016 03:57)
Nice shot :)

I would brighten that up a bit, and paint some exposure over some of it to create the illusion of some dynamic lighting/contrast.

You can edit out the tripod leg no problem. Might take a bit of time to do.

Maybe you are right. Maybe I can edit it out :)

Without it there I would actually feel that it's worth putting more time into the picture.
I'll give it a try :D
Nov 24 2016 09:30pm
Quote (Fil @ Nov 22 2016 01:08pm)
Maybe you are right. Maybe I can edit it out :)

Without it there I would actually feel that it's worth putting more time into the picture.
I'll give it a try :D

I think what's really missing out of your shot is a story. Every long exposure photo should tell a story, even if it's not consciously obvious (note that I'm talking about long exposure for the purposes of conveying flow of time, rather than long exposure for the purposes of gathering sufficient light to expose something).

Story - What an image conveys
Flow - The journey you experience upon viewing the image (where your eyes are lead to)

An easy way to fix that would be to have a bigger image (panorama of 2, 3, or 4 images, to add what you can see vertically). You could then show trees, additional rocks, the sun, etc. Show where, in this particular story, the water is coming from. You can even, in Lightroom/Photoshop, add a fake sun (plus sunstar if you want), to exaggerate and add an interesting element.

As things stand, this is 1/2 to 2/3 of the story. You can see that the middle of the story is the water dropping. You can see that the end of the story is the rocks and the water flowing into the viewer. There is a sense of wonder at the end, but the beginning is cut short. That is, at the end, one wonders where the water will continue to go, past the point of the rocks. But, the picture does not offer a beginning, and hence does not provide a sense of wonder about what precedes the picture's beginning.

While these types of photographs do not require a main subject (a protagonist), such an addition can totally change the effect. The most common example would be to have a model pose in the photograph; the focus wouldn't be the model, but the story, and the model would just fit in that story.

I think colour, dynamic range, and overall interesting components come after all of that.

While I'm not the greatest of photographers, here's an example of a picture I took which tells a bit of a story, but my girlfriend didn't want to be a player in it. My image certainly wouldn't earn a 100%. I edited it as beset I could, because I didn't get to take it during a sunset (a sunset version would've been amazing). If I cut the sky short, I would've had some technically interesting elements, but the story wouldn't have had a start.

I hope that makes sense.

This post was edited by Canadian_Man on Nov 24 2016 09:37pm
Nov 28 2016 05:25am
Quote (Canadian_Man @ 25 Nov 2016 04:30)
I think what's really missing out of your shot is a story. Every long exposure photo should tell a story, even if it's not consciously obvious (note that I'm talking about long exposure for the purposes of conveying flow of time, rather than long exposure for the purposes of gathering sufficient light to expose something).

Story - What an image conveys
Flow - The journey you experience upon viewing the image (where your eyes are lead to)

An easy way to fix that would be to have a bigger image (panorama of 2, 3, or 4 images, to add what you can see vertically). You could then show trees, additional rocks, the sun, etc. Show where, in this particular story, the water is coming from. You can even, in Lightroom/Photoshop, add a fake sun (plus sunstar if you want), to exaggerate and add an interesting element.

As things stand, this is 1/2 to 2/3 of the story. You can see that the middle of the story is the water dropping. You can see that the end of the story is the rocks and the water flowing into the viewer. There is a sense of wonder at the end, but the beginning is cut short. That is, at the end, one wonders where the water will continue to go, past the point of the rocks. But, the picture does not offer a beginning, and hence does not provide a sense of wonder about what precedes the picture's beginning.

While these types of photographs do not require a main subject (a protagonist), such an addition can totally change the effect. The most common example would be to have a model pose in the photograph; the focus wouldn't be the model, but the story, and the model would just fit in that story.

I think colour, dynamic range, and overall interesting components come after all of that.

While I'm not the greatest of photographers, here's an example of a picture I took which tells a bit of a story, but my girlfriend didn't want to be a player in it. My image certainly wouldn't earn a 100%. I edited it as beset I could, because I didn't get to take it during a sunset (a sunset version would've been amazing). If I cut the sky short, I would've had some technically interesting elements, but the story wouldn't have had a start.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7561/27461427793_413042a7af_b.jpg

I hope that makes sense.

I see what you mean.
I still like the spoiled one with the tripod better then I like this one, which offers no "ending".
I'm not much for stitching or photoshop though.
My thought process behind a photo is usually not that long. It's more like "this is is beautiful", then I get up close and take a snap :P
I realize that I can definitely improve :)
Thanks for your input

Nov 28 2016 06:32am
Hahaha, the second one is nice though!

But ya, the second one has the backgound and midground, but no foreground. So kind of the opposite problem. The first shot also has a way better angle, feels like you're in there.

I don't have a ton of experience in the field with photography. But I think I have good technical know-how. That long exposure shot was like my 3rd long exposure shot ever (the one I posted above).

My recommendation is keep shooting, build up experience... but study and learn rules that you can use, ignore, or break... but be aware of them. Building up a lot of technical know-how, and studying pictures can help to get better photos without spending as much time using up your shutter count :)
Gold: 137.00
Dec 6 2016 07:32pm
Excellent recovery brother.

looks great.
Gold: 0.00
Dec 26 2016 05:05am
Very good job done indeed, specially the adjustment in color!
Gold: 0.00
Jan 11 2017 02:26pm
Quote (Fil @ Nov 20 2016 12:52pm)
Was out in the nature yesterday.

Brought home a few pictures. The one I now afterwards think was the best has a part of the tripod in it. Kinda spoils it pretty bad :(
Nothing done to it except for auto adjustment in lightroom and white balance correction.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71571391/IMG_5245.jpg

It took some time to find a tripod lol
Nice adjusted photo
Gold: 0.70
Warn: 60%
Apr 8 2017 01:13pm
Quote (EsG_Accidents @ Dec 6 2016 08:32pm)
Excellent recovery brother.

looks great.

This!
Go Back To Photography Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll