d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > The Duffington Post > Bringing You Real News
Prev1297298299300301524Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1.69
Jun 8 2019 02:41pm
Quote (Beowulf @ 8 Jun 2019 09:43)

heh
Gold: 7,525.35
Jun 9 2019 08:10pm
United Nations Deems Siri and Alexa Tools of the Patriarchy

Just when you thought there was nothing about identity politics that could not surprise you, we have this: a United National report finds that Siri, the Apple voice helper, and Amazon’s Alexa are tools of the patriarchy.

The Wall Street Journal notes:

The revelation about this digital plot for male dominance comes in a 146-page report from the U.N. Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) in cooperation with the German government and the EQUALS Skills Coalition, a partnership of governments, businesses and nonprofits.

The authors note with alarm that “most leading voice assistants are exclusively female or female by default, both in name and in sound of voice.” This includes Siri, Amazon’s Alexa, and Microsoft ’s Cortana. The report says that these voices send “a signal that women are obliging, docile, eager-to-please helpers, available at the touch of a button or with a blunt voice command like ‘hey’ or ‘OK.’” Read on, they’re rolling.

If you tell Cortana she’s hot, the report frets, she’ll quip that “beauty is in the photoreceptors of the beholder.” Digital assistants “greet verbal abuse with catch-me-if-you-can flirtation” and “give deflecting, lacklustre, or apologetic responses to verbal sexual harassment,” the report says. This response fails “to encourage or model, let alone insist on, healthy communications about sex or sexual consent.”

Good to know that the United Nations is tackling the important issues that matter to the fate of humankind.

But this frankly puzzles me:

The report identifies still more signs of digital oppression: “The assistant holds no power of agency beyond what the commander asks of it. It honours commands and responds to queries regardless of their tone or hostility.” This reinforces “gender biases that women are subservient and tolerant of poor treatment.”

I am trying to imagine how Siri could gain more agency?

But there is a serious underlying issue:

All of this is apparently a symptom of a lack of women in tech jobs. The U.N. wants countries to redress this with a combination of compulsory tech education for women, gender quotas in tech industries, and (of course) government funding.

The report, silly as it is, reminds of just how off-base U.N. prescriptions often are: quotas for voice assistants, and, more important. quotas for real women, aren’t the solution.

Capitalism and better economies, not quotas, will help women in developing economies. How very typical of the U.N. this report is. Sad.

http://iwf.org/blog/2809566/United-Nations-Deems-Siri-and-Alexa-Tools-of-the-Patriarchy

In order to fight the patriarchy we need virtual assistants who will purposely ignore or refuse our requests if we aren't nice enough to them.
When there are emergencies hopefully people will remember that they have to be calm and nice.
Gold: 2,617.52
Jun 9 2019 09:36pm
Quote (cambovenzi @ Jun 9 2019 09:10pm)
United Nations Deems Siri and Alexa Tools of the Patriarchy

http://iwf.org/blog/2809566/United-Nations-Deems-Siri-and-Alexa-Tools-of-the-Patriarchy

In order to fight the patriarchy we need virtual assistants who will purposely ignore or refuse our requests if we aren't nice enough to them.
When there are emergencies hopefully people will remember that they have to be calm and nice.

Just like real women huh
Gold: 2,420.00
Jun 9 2019 10:02pm
Quote (EndlessSky @ Jun 9 2019 10:36pm)
Just like real women huh

:rofl:
Gold: 57.00
Jun 10 2019 12:58pm

LA Times with the hard-hitting tabloid journalism
Gold: 18,534.02
Jun 10 2019 01:05pm
Quote (excellence @ Jun 10 2019 01:58pm)
https://i.redd.it/ksbb4dathf331.jpg

Fear is one hell of business tool. You can't get the clicks unless your headline is flashy.
Gold: 0.00
Jun 10 2019 01:59pm
Quote (excellence @ Jun 10 2019 06:58pm)
https://i.redd.it/ksbb4dathf331.jpg

I looked up the reddit thread for this, as well as the LA Times article. The reddit thread is what stood out to me, though.

https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/byliye/call_immigrant_detention_centers_what_they_really/

After reading the comments: wow, I do mean WOW. I always knew reddit /pol was a shithole, but MAN, the people there are living in a whole 'nother dimension. I cannot believe how many useful idiots congregate on that sub. Concentration camps, fucking lol.

This post was edited by CarsV on Jun 10 2019 02:07pm
Gold: 2,489.69
Jun 13 2019 06:16am
Tailormade topic for the thread lmao

joking while conservative..... one poster actually suggest Tim Allen fakes not knowing what spades was to "appeal to his fanbase"....

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/tim-allen-toy-story-4-161911192.html

want to know the worst part? when i clicked the article i assumed the topic would be how Tim Allen suggested spades was a "black game". nope. the host flat out said it was, and Tim is getting shit just for not knowing the game. oh and btw his jokes were actually to cover his racism, you know since he's conservative, and is exactly his character from his TV show.
Gold: 0.00
Jun 13 2019 07:15am
Quote (thesnipa @ Jun 13 2019 12:16pm)
Tailormade topic for the thread lmao

joking while conservative..... one poster actually suggest Tim Allen fakes not knowing what spades was to "appeal to his fanbase"....

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/tim-allen-toy-story-4-161911192.html

want to know the worst part? when i clicked the article i assumed the topic would be how Tim Allen suggested spades was a "black game". nope. the host flat out said it was, and Tim is getting shit just for not knowing the game. oh and btw his jokes were actually to cover his racism, you know since he's conservative, and is exactly his character from his TV show.

I didn't know Tim Allen was still alive lol. Last I saw him was on TV 10 years ago and he looked drunk or on drugs.

From the comments:

"14 hours ago
The fans are not crying racism, the media is. The media is our biggest problem in race relations in our country today. Always trying to twist and turn someones words or actions to starts problems. We will never overcome our real race issues when the media continues to fabricate stories to get readers."

More of that manufactured narrative. Those who can control it...

This post was edited by CarsV on Jun 13 2019 07:16am
Gold: 2,489.69
Jun 13 2019 07:19am
Quote (CarsV @ Jun 13 2019 07:15am)
I didn't know Tim Allen was still alive lol. Last I saw him was on TV 10 years ago and he looked drunk or on drugs.

From the comments:

"14 hours ago
The fans are not crying racism, the media is. The media is our biggest problem in race relations in our country today. Always trying to twist and turn someones words or actions to starts problems. We will never overcome our real race issues when the media continues to fabricate stories to get readers."

More of that manufactured narrative. Those who can control it...

if you ever want to restore your faith in the American electorate visit the Yahoo comments section. I try to on a daily basis. They are a rightous hate brigade flocking to every single article to tear down the author and site generally.

also, Yahoo has a Good/Neutral/Bad rating system for user feedback on their articles. nearly every one is 70-80% "Neutral". This is either the work of the hate brigade or some bot farm bombarding them with a flood of non-data votes just to fuck with them. i mean how much could it take Putin to just fuck up yahoo's ratings system? 2 guys with a dell desktop from 2004?

This post was edited by thesnipa on Jun 13 2019 07:19am
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1297298299300301524Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll