d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > The Duffington Post > Bringing You Real News
Prev1283284285286287526Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,489.69
Apr 17 2019 01:16pm
Quote (fender @ Apr 17 2019 01:04pm)
why does a go fund me campaign upset you so much? you don't have to donate if you don't want to, you know? the only one who is 'crying like a bitch' about this whole affair seems to be you.

I came from abject poverty and funded my own college education through loans. i chose a career path that had good job potential. i worked a part time job all through the school year and a full time job all summer to pay for my school. my parents are functional alcoholics and i forged all of their information on my FAFSA forms to get those loans. all i needed was a drunken signature.

yet someone who was given a scholarship now needs a gofundme simply because the scholarship was taken away? all of their free time just got freed up, no more drills and no more weekends off to base. they got kicked out. get a job.

i personally disagree with the transgender ban top to bottom. it is the "i deserve free college" entitlement that i dislike. the wording of the article with the "he may even have to go do community college" irks me as well. as if it's not good enough for them even though it's a very sensible choice and good career path.

i just put myself in his shoes, if i had a free ride and i lost it i'd figure out how to get from point A to point B, not go in search of another free ride.

This post was edited by thesnipa on Apr 17 2019 01:17pm
Gold: 18,534.02
Apr 17 2019 01:23pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Apr 17 2019 02:16pm)
I came from abject poverty and funded my own college education through loans. i chose a career path that had good job potential. i worked a part time job all through the school year and a full time job all summer to pay for my school. my parents are functional alcoholics and i forged all of their information on my FAFSA forms to get those loans. all i needed was a drunken signature.

yet someone who was given a scholarship now needs a gofundme simply because the scholarship was taken away? all of their free time just got freed up, no more drills and no more weekends off to base. they got kicked out. get a job.

i personally disagree with the transgender ban top to bottom. it is the "i deserve free college" entitlement that i dislike. the wording of the article with the "he may even have to go do community college" irks me as well. as if it's not good enough for them even though it's a very sensible choice and good career path.

i just put myself in his shoes, if i had a free ride and i lost it i'd figure out how to get from point A to point B, not go in search of another free ride.

it's easier to be a victim than it is dig in deeper and preserver. This is a "crime" of opportunity.

Gold: 0.00
Warn: 20%
Apr 17 2019 01:44pm
Quote (thesnipa @ 17 Apr 2019 20:16)

certainly makes it understandable why you're so emotional about this, but i still think your hate is directed at the wrong party here. someone who's looking for a way out of a situation they've been put into because of who they ARE (not because of any choices they made themselves) doesn't deserve that kind of vitriol in my opinion, even if you disagree with their approach of dealing with it. i can totally see how it feeds into the self-victimisation narrative, but the fact that you have to label someone's commitment to serve in their armed forces a 'free ride' in order to justify it, just illustrates to me that you're not really interested in considering their side in a fair way.

again, no one is forced to donate to them (i personally would not do it either), but you can't deny that they are being treated unfairly -
Gold: 2,489.69
Apr 17 2019 01:49pm
Quote (fender @ Apr 17 2019 01:44pm)
certainly makes it understandable why you're so emotional about this, but i still think your hate is directed at the wrong party here. someone who's looking for a way out of a situation they've been put into because of who they ARE (not because of any choices they made themselves) doesn't deserve that kind of vitriol in my opinion, even if you disagree with their approach of dealing with it. i can totally see how it feeds into the self-victimisation narrative, but the fact that you have to label someone's commitment to serve in their armed forces a 'free ride' in order to justify it, just illustrates to me that you're not really interested in considering their side in a fair way.

again, no one is forced to donate to them (i personally would not do it either), but you can't deny that they are being treated unfairly -

careful, you were almost nice.

i should add my freshman room mate and a few friends were in the ROTC program and I know how lax the program is. it's a deferred commitment, you get the free ride then 4 years later they shove you off to war. some do the work to get enlisted, many dont from what i've seen.

i think the person is being treated unfairly, and is being victimized, and i think they're handling it in a childish and entitled way. that's all.

when i was a kid we moved around every 2 years. i handled the moves with grace, sought out new friends day 1, joined sports teams and clubs, etc. my sister was a moody little whiner who would just complain about her old friends being gone for a year before trying to make new ones, then the cycle would repeat. as adults we're night and day, i'm adaptable and a people person. she's a homebody who got lucky in finding a wealthy husband. i love her dearly but i wouldn't be her for a million dollars. challenges should faced head on, not with an open palm.

This post was edited by thesnipa on Apr 17 2019 01:54pm
Gold: 28,296.01
Apr 17 2019 07:16pm

Schocker
Gold: 285.00
Apr 17 2019 07:35pm
Quote (Beowulf @ Apr 17 2019 08:16pm)

He looks like a cocksucker.
Gold: 107.77
Apr 20 2019 03:47pm
Ben & Jerry's commemorates 4/20 with criminal justice reform campaign, free ice cream

Ice cream company Ben & Jerry's commemorated 4/20, a popular day in cannabis culture, with free ice cream and a criminal justice reform campaign calling on Congress to expunge prior marijuana convictions.

Ben & Jerry's released a petition on Friday to have Congress act on marijuana convictions and provide pardons or amnesty to anyone whose only crime was possession of cannabis.

"Want to feel really really good this 4/20? Then let's make sure that legalization benefits all of us," Ben & Jerry's wrote. "That'll turn 4/20 into a day that we all can celebrate."

The petition had nearly 21,900 signatures as of Saturday afternoon.

The company celebrated that marijuana has been legalized in 33 states, but wrote that black people are disproportionally punished for possession, despite cannabis being used at similar rates among white and black demographics.

"And even if you're not in a state that legalized pot, there's a still a pretty good chance that the cops won't hassle you as you spend 4/20 doing your thing," the company wrote.

"If you're a white person. Sorry to bring you down, but that's the harsh reality. If you love pot AND you're white, everything is totally awesome these days," the statement continued.

There were 8 million arrests for pot between 2001 and 2010. During that period, a black person was 3.73 times more likely to be arrested for possession than a white person, according to data from the American Civil Liberties Union.

"Since then, in states that have legalized cannabis, arrests, as you'd expect, have gone done. Unfortunately, legalization hasn't done anything to change the racial disparities," Ben & Jerry's wrote.

"We're calling on Congress to expunge prior marijuana convictions and provide pardons/amnesty to anyone whose only crime was possession of cannabis. Cities like San Francisco and Seattle are already doing it. It's time to take this national," the company added. "Want to feel really really good this 4/20? Then let's make sure that legalization benefits all of us. That'll turn 4/20 into a day that we all can celebrate."

The company also partnered with Caliva, a dispensery in San Jose, Calif., to give out free pint-sized containers of its famous "Half Baked" ice cream.

Caliva said it will donate 4.20 percent of all sales from April 20 to the nonprofit Code for America and its Clear My Record program, which works to expunge eligible cannabis records.

I'll take 2 scoops of criminal justice reform
Gold: 2,094.99
Apr 23 2019 04:14pm
Quote (Beowulf @ Apr 19 2019 03:52pm)

“Likes to go on long walks at night protecting your neighborhood”
Reality is the best entertainment.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1283284285286287526Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll