d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > The Duffington Post > Bringing You Real News
Prev1282283284285286528Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 28,296.69
Apr 5 2019 09:36pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Apr 5 2019 08:35pm)
We’re a generation or two from “not that there’s anything wrong with that” justifications for that type of abomination

red states have long been pioneers of those activities
Apr 7 2019 04:36pm

https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/burger-king-slammed-on-social-media-over-chopsticks-ad-its-racist

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/burger-king-offensive-vietnamese-chopstick-ad_n_5ca7f2f4e4b047edf95a77b7

Mo, a classical pianist, said she was “fed up” with seeing Asians portrayed by powerful companies in a diminished way.
Subscribe to The Morning Email.
Wake up to the day's most important news.

“I felt extremely fed up, and tired,” Mo said about seeing the ad.

People of color “are constantly having to deal with microaggressions as well as outright hatred and it just never ends,” she added. “And I could not believe that such a concept was approved for such a big, well-known company. It says a lot [about] what kind of demographics they must employ across the board for their ads.”

Gold: 0.00
Apr 8 2019 04:35pm
Germany: Hospital accommodates Muslim migrant doctor who refuses to work with women

https://www.jihadwatch.org/2019/04/germany-hospital-accommodates-muslim-migrant-doctor-who-refuses-to-work-with-women
Gold: 10,655.00
Apr 8 2019 08:17pm

Felicity Huffman, 13 Others Agree To Plead Guilty In College Admissions Scandal

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/felicity-huffman-guilty-plea-college-admissions-scandal_n_5cab9bdce4b02084ce8e9acd

I saw no mention of this in the article, but I am curious to the results of these "briberys". I'd like to see some data on how the children whose parents bribed the colleges, actually fared IN the colleges.

Were the reasons that those children did not get, or wouldn't get into these colleges, valid? IF it was for academic reasons, did the kids, then flunk out, even after their admittance was paid for?
Apr 9 2019 04:29pm
Since aunt becky didn't take a plea deal they indicted her for money laundering

talking years instead of months for her now

she was screwed either way because of the amount of money involved in her case compared to the others so she was fairly screwed either way but I guess they decided to take their chances
Apr 11 2019 09:39am
Lawyer Avenatti charged in California with U.S. fraud, tax crimes

LOS ANGELES — In a sweeping expansion of the criminal charges against Michael Avenatti, a federal grand jury has indicted the Los Angeles lawyer on 36 counts of fraud, perjury, failure to pay taxes, embezzlement and other financial crimes.

Avenatti stole millions of dollars from five clients and used a tangled web of shell companies and bank accounts to cover up the theft, the Santa Ana grand jury alleged in an indictment that prosecutors will make public Thursday.

One of the clients, Geoffrey Ernest Johnson, was a mentally ill paraplegic on disability who won a $4-million settlement of a suit against Los Angeles County. The money was wired to Avenatti in January 2015, but he hid it from Johnson for years, according to the indictment.

In 2017, Avenatti received $2.75 million in proceeds from another client’s legal settlement, but concealed that too, the indictment says. The next day, he put $2.5 million of that money into the purchase of a private jet for Passport 420, LLC, a company he effectively owned, according to prosecutors.

At the time, Avenatti and his businesses owed millions of dollars in back taxes, the government claimed, and his Newport Beach law firm, Eagan Avenatti, was weeks from bankruptcy.

Federal agents seized the Honda HA-420 jet at Santa Barbara Airport on Wednesday under a court-approved warrant that remains under seal, said Thom Mrozek, a spokesman for the U.S. attorney’s office in Los Angeles.

The breadth of Avenatti’s alleged crimes is clear in the maximum sentence he would face if convicted on all counts: 335 years in prison.

In a separate federal case in New York, Avenatti faces up to 47 more years if convicted on charges of trying to extort more than $20 million from Nike, the sportswear giant. An indictment in that case is expected soon.

Avenatti, who is free on a $300,000 bond, tweeted Thursday morning that he’d made many powerful enemies over the last two decades.

“I am entitled to a FULL presumption of innocence and am confident that justice will be done once ALL of the facts are known,” he wrote shortly after U.S. attorney Nick Hanna summoned media to a Los Angeles news conference to announce the new charges.

The twin criminal cases have put Avenatti’s legal career in jeopardy just a year after he rocketed to fame as the hard-charging and telegenic attorney for adult-film actress Stormy Daniels in her battle to nullify a nondisclosure agreement with President Trump.

He lost both of her lawsuits, and Daniels now owes the president nearly $300,000 in legal fees, more than double the $130,000 in hush money that Trump paid her to keep quiet about their alleged 2006 affair.

In the California case, Avenatti was initially charged with bank and wire fraud, now eclipsed by a wide array of other alleged crimes. Prosecutors say he submitted phony tax returns and financial statements to Peoples Bank of Mississippi to secure more than $4.1 million in business loans.

He is also accused of embezzling from another client’s settlement of $1.6 million, which Avenatti denied receiving when he’d actually spent it all on personal expenses, prosecutors said.

On the day of his arrest, federal agents executed search warrants at Avenatti’s Century City apartment, his Echo Park law office and the Yorba Linda home of Judy Regnier, the office manager at Eagan Avenatti, according to the U.S. attorney’s office.

The exact amount of Avenatti’s alleged embezzlement from the five clients is unclear, because clients typically must use a portion of their settlement funds to pay their lawyers’ fees and expenses.

Under State Bar of California rules of professional conduct, a lawyer must promptly notify a client of the receipt of any funds they are entrusted to hold for the client and turn over the money at the client’s request.

In the Johnson theft, the indictment alleges, Avenatti received $4 million from Los Angeles County in 2015 to settle the paraplegic’s suit over his treatment at the Twin Towers Correctional Facility. Johnson, who was suicidal, jumped twice from an upper floor of the jail, injuring himself so badly the second time that he can never walk again, according to the suit.

After getting the $4 million, the indictment says, Avenatti did not tell Johnson the money had arrived. He soon funneled most of the money through multiple bank accounts. It landed in the accounts of GB Autosport, LLC, which managed Avenatti’s race-car team, and Global Baristas U.S., his troubled Seattle coffee company, according to the indictment.

In just over five months, Avenatti had spent the entire $4 million, but never told Johnson, the grand jury alleged. Instead, over the next four years, he paid Johnson a total of $124,000 in installments ranging from $1,000 to $1,900 and made some rent payments at Johnson’s assisted living facility.

He falsely told Johnson the payments were “advances” on a county settlement payment that had not yet arrived, according to the grand jury.

In November 2018, Johnson asked Avenatti to send information on the settlement to the Social Security Administration so it could gauge his eligibility for disability payments.

“Knowing full well that the requested information could lead to inquiries that could reveal” the embezzlement, Avenatti ignored Johnson’s request, causing the government to cut off his disability payments two months ago, according to prosecutors.

Avenatti’s alleged tax crimes were both personal and business. Prosecutors say he failed to file personal income tax returns in 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 — years when, according to the Internal Revenue Service, he deposited millions of dollars in his personal bank accounts.

Avenatti also failed to file tax returns for both of his law firms, Eagan Avenatti and Avenatti & Associates, in 2015, 2016 and 2017, the government charged.

The grand jury also accused Avenatti of lying to the IRS about his pocketing of nearly $2.4 million in taxes withheld from the paychecks of employees of Global Baristas U.S., which operated Tully’s coffee stores in Washington and California.

When the IRS started garnishing the company’s bank accounts, the indictment says, Avenatti ordered employees to deposit the stores’ cash and credit-card receipts in new accounts under a new company name. In an email instructing a credit-card processing company to switch accounts, Avenatti wrote, “we need this done ASAP.”

It's always been entertaining how much Avenatti is like Trump while both sides have a history of embracing theirs and attacking the others
Gold: 119,903.34
Apr 11 2019 11:15am
Quote (Beowulf @ Apr 11 2019 10:39am)
Lawyer Avenatti charged in California with U.S. fraud, tax crimes

https://i.imgur.com/49hxbLm.png

It's always been entertaining how much Avenatti is like Trump while both sides have a history of embracing theirs and attacking the others

Looks like he's just banking on putting on a show and then writing a book about it to cash in later on.
Gold: 13.95
Apr 16 2019 03:09pm
Gold: 2,489.69
Apr 17 2019 12:56pm
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/transgender-student-loses-college-scholarship-trump-military-ban-143918109.html

"If the military doesn't pay for my education in full I can't afford it. so please give me cash on my gofundme"

regardless of your feelings on transgender people in the military can we dispose of the "oh poor me i can't afford college" schtick? neither can anyone you idiot, they're called loans.

don't want to take loans? go to a community college for a few years and work a job to pay tuition. and do it without crying like a bitch plz.
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 20%
Apr 17 2019 01:04pm
Quote (thesnipa @ 17 Apr 2019 19:56)
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/transgender-student-loses-college-scholarship-trump-military-ban-143918109.html

"If the military doesn't pay for my education in full I can't afford it. so please give me cash on my gofundme"

regardless of your feelings on transgender people in the military can we dispose of the "oh poor me i can't afford college" schtick? neither can anyone you idiot, they're called loans.

don't want to take loans? go to a community college for a few years and work a job to pay tuition. and do it without crying like a bitch plz.

why does a go fund me campaign upset you so much? you don't have to donate if you don't want to, you know? the only one who is 'crying like a bitch' about this whole affair seems to be you.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1282283284285286528Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll