d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Culinary Arts > One Man, One Crockpot, One Dream > Chili
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Oct 26 2016 08:22pm
i have a dream to create the perfect chili

i made some chili today and just got home to eat it, pretty damn good.
im wondering what you guys do to make your chili, cause although it is good i think it could be better

i used:
1 red pepper diced
1 yellow pepper diced
1 yellow onion diced
1 serrano pepper no seeds (maybe shoulda left a few, it wasnt as hot as i wanted)
~1.5lb ground beef
~0.5lb ground pork
1 can tomato sauce
1 can of kidney beans
1 can of pinto beans
1 can of corn
2-3 cups water
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp salt/pepper blend
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano

cooked the meat, drained the fat
caramelized the peppers/onions
put everything in crock pot on low, went to work for ~12hrs
Oct 27 2016 02:53am
Need half a cup of strong coffee in there.
Gold: 1,500.00
Oct 27 2016 08:08am
Quote (ahspark87 @ Oct 27 2016 01:53am)
Need half a cup of strong coffee in there.

First of all..... i hope you used garlic and just forgot to write it down, if you didnt you chili was sunk right from the get go

FUCKING GARLIC! abuse that shit

i prefer to just use ground coffee, i find you dont lose it as easy but i dont use it in my chilli

i also like to cook my onions/peppers down with some bacon or at least bacon fat

i do like to use a whole can of beer, lager/ale of your choice. and i like to add a shot or 2 of crown royal

also i use paprika and a little cumin, along with a bay leaf or 2

also serranos arnt hot at all, at least in my opinion, i would left all the seeds in

corn dosent belong in chili or salsa for that matter.

i use some cubed up tritip(steak, its a california cut) in my chili also

i use Worcestershire sauce and also a splash of mustard in my chili

use more of the fat, fat is flavor

sorry for the rambling thoughts

This post was edited by KoJ on Oct 27 2016 08:22am
Oct 28 2016 02:58am
Quote (KoJ @ Oct 27 2016 10:08am)
First of all..... i hope you used garlic and just forgot to write it down, if you didnt you chili was sunk right from the get go

i prefer to just use ground coffee, i find you dont lose it as easy but i dont use it in my chilli

i also like to cook my onions/peppers down with some bacon or at least bacon fat

i do like to use a whole can of beer, lager/ale of your choice. and i like to add a shot or 2 of crown royal

also serranos arnt hot at all, at least in my opinion, i would left all the seeds in

Worcester sauce and mustard sounds good.
Oct 28 2016 09:42am
Quote (KoJ @ 27 Oct 2016 09:08)

lmao you sounded so very much like my boss there (in a good way)

yeah derp i used a few cloves of garlic ofc lol woops they went in the pan with the other veges.

coffee is a new idea never heard/tried will definitely experiment thanks guys, as for the ale/whisky i shoulda thought of adding an alcohol component, the bitch is boiling all day anyways why not spritz it up

higher quality meat bits and fat fat fat, food for thought

worcestershire and mustard.hmm.. any preferance on mustand types? im thinking a little Dijon or maybe a creole mustard?

and whats wrong with corn? i like the sweetness it adds
Gold: 1,500.00
Oct 28 2016 10:37am
Quote (known954 @ Oct 28 2016 08:42am)
lmao you sounded so very much like my boss there (in a good way)

yeah derp i used a few cloves of garlic ofc lol woops they went in the pan with the other veges.

coffee is a new idea never heard/tried will definitely experiment thanks guys, as for the ale/whisky i shoulda thought of adding an alcohol component, the bitch is boiling all day anyways why not spritz it up

higher quality meat bits and fat fat fat, food for thought

worcestershire and mustard.hmm.. any preferance on mustand types? im thinking a little Dijon or maybe a creole mustard?

and whats wrong with corn? i like the sweetness it adds

i just personally dont like it in chili

im also a no corn in salsa kinda guy

but corn on the cob oh man ill take down like 4-5 with dinner

most of the time i just use plain ol yellow mustard, but ill also use stone ground brown

i like to use mustard in most of my cooking, mostly marinades or sauces

i live in the garlic capitol of the world so i mean use the ever loving fuck out of it, like when you think you used to much, add more.

for my garlic bread i like to do it a little different than most

my theory is 1 stick of butter per loaf a shit load of garlic, like alot, a squeeze of mustard and a half squeeze of siracha, put it all together in a small sauce pot on the stove and let it melt and meld together then put it on ur bread and cook to desired doneness
Gold: 8,933.00
Nov 15 2016 05:54pm
Quote (known954 @ Oct 26 2016 09:22pm)
i have a dream to create the perfect chili

i made some chili today and just got home to eat it, pretty damn good.
im wondering what you guys do to make your chili, cause although it is good i think it could be better

i used:
1 red pepper diced
1 yellow pepper diced
1 yellow onion diced
1 serrano pepper no seeds (maybe shoulda left a few, it wasnt as hot as i wanted)
~1.5lb ground beef
~0.5lb ground pork
1 can tomato sauce
1 can of kidney beans
1 can of pinto beans
1 can of corn
2-3 cups water
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp salt/pepper blend
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano

cooked the meat, drained the fat
caramelized the peppers/onions
put everything in crock pot on low, went to work for ~12hrs

In mine, I'd add more cumin, garlic powder, crushed red pepper flakes, (good) beer and curiously enough, half of a small jar of concord grape jelly. It starts hot and shifts to sweet on the palate. I also add marinated stew meat and a can of grillin mates baked beans.
Gold: 337.21
Nov 16 2016 01:54am
need more onion and maybe some carrot.
also needs tomato paste roasted together with them
cumin, cinnamon and coffee (!). You could also go with chocolate or mix coffee and chocolate.

instead of water you can use a whole bottle of dark beer. Some do it with red wine but in my oppinion that would make the chili too noble. its a farmers dish.

id go easy on the corn. It usually makes everything taste like corn and weakens the meat and onion flavours.
Also I would add some beans and corn early and others later, so you have some stewed and others which still have that bite to them.

i like the jelly thought. Ill probably try that out next. I also have some left over quince chutney. The chili usually needs something which gives it a little fruity flavour.
Go Back To Culinary Arts Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll