d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > Another Update
Prev123460Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,380.00
Oct 3 2016 12:16pm
Quote (RewtheBrave @ Oct 3 2016 02:07pm)
You can!

There are two ways to find out what motivates you.

One is obvious: what bothers you? What are you running away from? What makes you angry or afraid? This is fuel. Get pissed off, get afraid, but then DO something about it. Anger and fear are signs that should not be ignored. When it comes to fitness goals, instead of running away from your anger and fear, you run toward it until you find it, choke the shit out if it, and do bad things to its skull when its dead.

The other is to do the opposite and follow your heart. Tune in to what your deepest desire is and allow yourself to experience it. If you allow yourself to experience what it is like to succeed, you will be more likely to work toward success.

And of course you could just happen to have an epiphany and decide to make a change, but why wait another moment? Life is short.

Awesome post, I feel like you motivate people more often than not. I understand where you're coming from, and my embarrassment of the gym is my biggest fear in tackling this challenge. I have a lack of free-weight experience, and I feel like people watch me, even though they probably aren't.

My heart is telling me to eat pizza...

My epiphany occurred when I realized that my XL dress shirt for work no longer fits me...I popped a button...I need to harness this frustration and cough up the cash to get my Y membership.
Gold: 293.30
Oct 3 2016 12:47pm
Quote (ttdskann @ Oct 3 2016 03:16pm)
Awesome post, I feel like you motivate people more often than not. I understand where you're coming from, and my embarrassment of the gym is my biggest fear in tackling this challenge. I have a lack of free-weight experience, and I feel like people watch me, even though they probably aren't.

My epiphany occurred when I realized that my XL dress shirt for work no longer fits me...I popped a button...I need to harness this frustration and cough up the cash to get my Y membership.

You'll find a way. For me it was swapping to keto. Which is what im on now.
Retired Moderator
Gold: 505.00
Trader: Trusted
Oct 3 2016 12:49pm
Quote (ttdskann @ 3 Oct 2016 14:16)

ty for the compliment :)

I understand your feeling of embarassment. I don't want it to seem worse, but there will be lurkers. But you're probably vastly overestimating how many people give any notice about how you look, or whether they notice for more than a moment and make any stupid, smug judgments they want to make. You can start doing some things for practice at home, with whatever you have. It's worth investing in some fitness equipment because it's an investment in your health, your sanity, and your general well-being. YOU are the most valuable thing in your world, so you are worth investing in.

The greatest tip I can give anyone in this messed up world is to avoid giving any inkling of a shit about what other people think of you. Most people fear one or both of these things, and I guarantee they will hit home for you:

1. not being good enough/not being worthy
2. not belonging/being loved

Both of our greatest human fears are about other people. OR ARE THEY? This is one of the most important questions a person can ever ask himself/herself, but which most folks don't even think to ask. Our entire lives are a constant acceptance of abuse from everything that is not us. If you're gay, fat, black, female, whatever, someone is going to judge you. Someone will tell you you're not good enough. White, 6'5, ripped, giant dick? There will still be haters, and you will still feel their wrath. We punish ourselves way, way too much.

When you enter the contract with yourself that you're not good enough, that you're too fat, that people will shame you or judge you, you're punishing yourself for a crime you never committed. Your body is your responsibility, so you should want to be healthy and strong, but you can always take charge of this. Don't put yourself down if you feel you've been lazy, dumb, inexperienced, or whatever the hell your demons have been telling you. Fuck that shit!

My 2nd favourite person in my favourite gym is a girl who weighs over 300 pounds and has a crazy lazy eye. But she is working on herself every day and she is starting to get results. She is my favourite person specifically because on day 1 she came up to me, introduced herself, talked about some of her issues, and said that she admired me and wanted to get in shape. She wasn't looking for a trainer (gf'd Rew) so I told her that from now on, she was my hero and she should be her own hero for being brave and working for what she wants. She is scared about how people will perceive her, but she is willing to face her fears upfront. I'm not saying that yoiu should do the same sort of thing, but I am saying that how you feel is almost a universe experience. If you don't know how to do something at the gym, just ask someone. Maybe you'll meet a new friend. Watch vids on youtube and practice at home, but don't use that as a way to stay away from the gym longer!

I want to give you four specific suggestions.

1. Make up some mantras. Say them every day in front of a mirror. If they make you cry or laugh or feel like an idiot (they don't need to do any of this), that's the RIGHT wavelength. They should take 5-10 minutes, not 5-10 seconds, because you should be repeating them. later, you can reduce how long they take, because they will be internalized. Try to smile, even if you're fighting tears. The message must be clear. You need to tell yourself that you're smart, capable, loveable, sexy, strong, self-reliant, valuable, creative, and/or whatever the heck else you need to say to push back against all the bullshit that has made you fat, afraid, and miserable. We learn that we suck all our lives. We need to have some way to look at ourselves and find our truth. You can tell yourself that you're sexy even if you don't think so, because your mantras are about your true self, the self you are becoming. Your false self is the self that ate it's way to guilt and self-loathing. Your aim is literally to kill that fucker (no offense, I see you as a brother) and replace him with you 2.0. Mantras help you get there. Stick to them.

2. Learn. Learn like hell about health and fitness. It's a cesspool of terrible information, but over time you will start to understand what is true and what is bullshit. If you see some fool bench pressing on a box that itself is on an exercise ball which is itself supported by a bosu ball, you will know.

3. I could recommend hundreds of techniques and books. Consider starting with The Four Agreements by don Miguel Ruiz. It's on Audible btw. I think this book is a great point to drive home some of the stuff I was saying about personal growth and freedom.

4. Use the shirt. I mean that you can and should find a way to use it as motivation. You could frame it, you could burn it, you could rip off part of it and bring it to the gym with you as an equipment wipe (I like that idea), or whatever. remember how you felt about the button breaking. Do not punish yourself but use this as a point to bring you back to your motivation. When I was in high school (gr 9) I got a crap grade on a unit test in science. I hadn't been paying attention, I had missed a bunch of days during the unit, and I didn't prepare for the test. So I took a desk, put it against (facing) a wall in my house and wrote on it in bold red caps "NEVER AGAIN!:". It sounds like punishment but it was more about getting the spark to do some work. I got 100% on the next few tests. When we do stuff like this, we need to think of ourselves as anchoring an experience but not punishing ourselves. We must always raise our standards without self-hating. It's a fine line, which is why I'm struggling to explain it. But there's a difference and it's mostly a difference you feel. On the desk I'm using right now, by contrast, I wrote "I THINK I CAN!" in bold blue letters. That was about a need for change in my own attitude. Same idea, this time it's a "positive" anchoring. The point of anchoring, as a technique, is not to flood yourself or to dwell on something, but to give yourself a finite measuring point against which you can measure your growth and development later on.

I hope that helps you and anyone else who needs it.
Gold: 1,380.00
Oct 3 2016 01:06pm
Quote (RewtheBrave @ Oct 3 2016 02:49pm)
ty for the compliment :)

I understand your feeling of embarassment. I don't want it to seem worse, but there will be lurkers. But you're probably vastly overestimating how many people give any notice about how you look, or whether they notice for more than a moment and make any stupid, smug judgments they want to make. You can start doing some things for practice at home, with whatever you have. It's worth investing in some fitness equipment because it's an investment in your health, your sanity, and your general well-being. YOU are the most valuable thing in your world, so you are worth investing in.

The greatest tip I can give anyone in this messed up world is to avoid giving any inkling of a shit about what other people think of you. Most people fear one or both of these things, and I guarantee they will hit home for you:

1. not being good enough/not being worthy
2. not belonging/being loved

Both of our greatest human fears are about other people. OR ARE THEY? This is one of the most important questions a person can ever ask himself/herself, but which most folks don't even think to ask. Our entire lives are a constant acceptance of abuse from everything that is not us. If you're gay, fat, black, female, whatever, someone is going to judge you. Someone will tell you you're not good enough. White, 6'5, ripped, giant dick? There will still be haters, and you will still feel their wrath. We punish ourselves way, way too much.

When you enter the contract with yourself that you're not good enough, that you're too fat, that people will shame you or judge you, you're punishing yourself for a crime you never committed. Your body is your responsibility, so you should want to be healthy and strong, but you can always take charge of this. Don't put yourself down if you feel you've been lazy, dumb, inexperienced, or whatever the hell your demons have been telling you. Fuck that shit!

My 2nd favourite person in my favourite gym is a girl who weighs over 300 pounds and has a crazy lazy eye. But she is working on herself every day and she is starting to get results. She is my favourite person specifically because on day 1 she came up to me, introduced herself, talked about some of her issues, and said that she admired me and wanted to get in shape. She wasn't looking for a trainer (gf'd Rew) so I told her that from now on, she was my hero and she should be her own hero for being brave and working for what she wants. She is scared about how people will perceive her, but she is willing to face her fears upfront. I'm not saying that yoiu should do the same sort of thing, but I am saying that how you feel is almost a universe experience. If you don't know how to do something at the gym, just ask someone. Maybe you'll meet a new friend. Watch vids on youtube and practice at home, but don't use that as a way to stay away from the gym longer!

I want to give you four specific suggestions.

1. Make up some mantras. Say them every day in front of a mirror. If they make you cry or laugh or feel like an idiot (they don't need to do any of this), that's the RIGHT wavelength. They should take 5-10 minutes, not 5-10 seconds, because you should be repeating them. later, you can reduce how long they take, because they will be internalized. Try to smile, even if you're fighting tears. The message must be clear. You need to tell yourself that you're smart, capable, loveable, sexy, strong, self-reliant, valuable, creative, and/or whatever the heck else you need to say to push back against all the bullshit that has made you fat, afraid, and miserable. We learn that we suck all our lives. We need to have some way to look at ourselves and find our truth. You can tell yourself that you're sexy even if you don't think so, because your mantras are about your true self, the self you are becoming. Your false self is the self that ate it's way to guilt and self-loathing. Your aim is literally to kill that fucker (no offense, I see you as a brother) and replace him with you 2.0. Mantras help you get there. Stick to them.

2. Learn. Learn like hell about health and fitness. It's a cesspool of terrible information, but over time you will start to understand what is true and what is bullshit. If you see some fool bench pressing on a box that itself is on an exercise ball which is itself supported by a bosu ball, you will know.

3. I could recommend hundreds of techniques and books. Consider starting with The Four Agreements by don Miguel Ruiz. It's on Audible btw. I think this book is a great point to drive home some of the stuff I was saying about personal growth and freedom.

4. Use the shirt. I mean that you can and should find a way to use it as motivation. You could frame it, you could burn it, you could rip off part of it and bring it to the gym with you as an equipment wipe (I like that idea), or whatever. remember how you felt about the button breaking. Do not punish yourself but use this as a point to bring you back to your motivation. When I was in high school (gr 9) I got a crap grade on a unit test in science. I hadn't been paying attention, I had missed a bunch of days during the unit, and I didn't prepare for the test. So I took a desk, put it against (facing) a wall in my house and wrote on it in bold red caps "NEVER AGAIN!:". It sounds like punishment but it was more about getting the spark to do some work. I got 100% on the next few tests. When we do stuff like this, we need to think of ourselves as anchoring an experience but not punishing ourselves. We must always raise our standards without self-hating. It's a fine line, which is why I'm struggling to explain it. But there's a difference and it's mostly a difference you feel. On the desk I'm using right now, by contrast, I wrote "I THINK I CAN!" in bold blue letters. That was about a need for change in my own attitude. Same idea, this time it's a "positive" anchoring. The point of anchoring, as a technique, is not to flood yourself or to dwell on something, but to give yourself a finite measuring point against which you can measure your growth and development later on.

I hope that helps you and anyone else who needs it.

Wow...This may go on my wall.
Gold: 0.00
Oct 3 2016 02:19pm
Quote (RewtheBrave @ Oct 3 2016 05:46pm)
Pretty close. If I can advise something here, it's to avoid planning to fail. If you felt all of your reps and sets were good, minus 2 reps, feel it out when you get in the gym. You can be on the safe side and drop to 210, or you can figure out your general energy and focus and try for 220 again. If you fail again, definitely curb it back. Up to you, ofc :) If you succeed, you'll probably want to hang there until it feels like you can move up.

In the weight room and in life, remember to treat failure as a form of success. Here's why: if you try and you fail, you can try again or you can try something different to do what you want to do. If you don't try, you will never learn and you will never succeed. People who fail more often tend to be people who try more often. Therefore, paradoxically, failure is the only road to success. I have this stupid thing I do if I fail on reps. In my head, and sometimes around other people, I'll treat it like success, but only if I tried really hard. Now if I missing 3s in a league game, I'm liable to punch the ball out of the fucking gym, but that's another story.

Good post m9. That last squat I did, I remember being at the bottom position, and literally no explosive strength to get the bar back up. Took a deep breath and shot it up, but my brain said "BRUH" and I racked it lol.

Quote (ttdskann @ Oct 3 2016 05:55pm)
Nice to see someone who was in my current situation not long ago! Hopefully I can find the same strength and motivation as you to reach my goals.

I've been there quite a few times, I think I've finally hit a pinnacle in my life to not give in again. I'm more conscious now of what I'm putting in my body. My Fitness Pal and BodySpace are two great apps to track your energy in-out, and it's helped me tremendously with tracking my macros, and making sure I get enough brotein.
Retired Moderator
Gold: 505.00
Trader: Trusted
Oct 3 2016 03:47pm
Minor technical points on the squat but you didn't pause at the bottom did you? I would advise not pausing, but just naturally coming down and then up. You also impinge tissue at the bottom of a squat if you don't have your knees out; if you're somewhat inflexible, the knees-out (like 30 degrees) approach helps you get lower in the squat. Often., inflexibility is not inflexibility, but the features of your hip structure (talking about bone structure, not having a fast ass). You want lumbar extension, not flexion, and on the way up (think of this as a "drive" phase) you want to bring your hips up, rather than your chest. You should feel a bounce out of the squat coming from tightness in your posterior chain and your squats.

You may also wish to invest in the valsalva maneuever through the squat. This is a way to add/balance pressure during the lift.

If you hadn't seen or heard that info before, maybe it will help.

^ All of that came from seeing: I remember being at the bottom position, and literally no explosive strength to get the bar back up. Took a deep breath and shot it up, but my brain said "BRUH" and I racked it lol.

The only explosion in the squat is utilization of tension release involved in the bounce I mentioned. Focus on the back of your hips as the point driving up. If you're breathing on the way up this tells me you probably didn't try the valsalva.

Being a nerd about the squat is the best thing you can do for it btw :)
Oct 17 2016 07:59pm
Still going strong.. At the gym every day and eating good.

Currently I weigh around 239.. Squat form is getting better, bench is getting heavier.. Feeling good!
Gold: 371.00
Oct 17 2016 08:15pm
Terrific, but you shouldn't be failing within 2 weeks of strong lifts. It means you started much too heavy
Oct 18 2016 05:50am
Quote (Excusemem8 @ Oct 18 2016 02:15am)
Terrific, but you shouldn't be failing within 2 weeks of strong lifts. It means you started much too heavy

I figured that out. I restarted the entire program. I'm doing

Squats: 210 5x5
DL: 185 1x5
Bench: 145 5x5
OHP: 75 5x5
Row: 85 5x5

I was doing the squats with horrible form. So when you're not breaking 90 during squats, 230 is np.. However, now that I'm breaking well below 90, 210 is plenty.
Gold: 371.00
Oct 18 2016 06:02am
Quote (ozzyarmy3 @ Oct 18 2016 03:50am)
I figured that out. I restarted the entire program. I'm doing

Squats: 210 5x5
DL: 185 1x5
Bench: 145 5x5
OHP: 75 5x5
Row: 85 5x5

I was doing the squats with horrible form. So when you're not breaking 90 during squats, 230 is np.. However, now that I'm breaking well below 90, 210 is plenty.

If you set on doing stronglifts, I'd recommend using a variety of rep ranges.

5x5 is so farking boring and soul destroying. 5x5 24:7 licks dick.

Some weeks do 8s, some do 5s, some do 3s. Itl be way more fun and keep you motivated as ur not comparing every week to your last, much longer prolonged progress

This post was edited by Excusemem8 on Oct 18 2016 06:02am
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev123460Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll