d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows > Stranger Things > Netflix Orginal
Prev1363738394044Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 144.33
Jul 13 2019 10:10pm
Best season so far, it was incredible, everything was on point, near perfection.

Gold: 0.80
Jul 14 2019 07:22pm
Hopper in that cell though isnt he? It is him isnt it?
Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
Jul 14 2019 07:38pm
Quote (Blah58 @ Jul 12 2019 05:20am)
S3 was good. Better than S2 for sure, but I don't like how they ignored some of the concepts they introduced in S2. Like they set up that elevens powers should get stronger and better as she uses them, but then they completely nerfd her in S3 and made her burn out which is like the complete opposite of what S2 said should happen.

Thought the attempt at a redemption arc for Billy was poorly done. Like yeah sad childhood boohoo. He was a cunt the entire series and a few scenes of his mom didn't really change anything to me. Also Max's reaction to his death didn't feel earned. Would have been nice if the memories they showed included some stuff of Billy protecting her or something.

Those 2 things were my only real issues. Everything else was fantastic.

Vouch.

I hate when they try and ram forgiveness for someone like Billy down our throats. It's nonsense. The guy was a giant piece of shit, who's only purpose in life was making everyone else's life worse. Oh, you had a tough childhood? Get the fuck over it. Plenty of people have had far worse lives and haven't turned into psychotic dbags like him. It reminded me of what they did with Snape in HP. Okay, ya, he was a secret agent who did some good stuff, but he was still a giant fucking douchebag for 6 years to a kid who did absolutely nothing to him, just because he looked like a guy he didn't like..... He also joined with the baddies and was content murdering and destroying muggles and mudbloods until the one person he cared about died lol. It's irredeemable behavior, but it's the same shit where people act like the guy is actually worth a damn because he had a moment of not being a complete shit-heel.
Gold: 144.33
Jul 14 2019 10:45pm
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Jul 15 2019 02:38am)
Vouch.

I hate when they try and ram forgiveness for someone like Billy down our throats. It's nonsense. The guy was a giant piece of shit, who's only purpose in life was making everyone else's life worse. Oh, you had a tough childhood? Get the fuck over it. Plenty of people have had far worse lives and haven't turned into psychotic dbags like him. It reminded me of what they did with Snape in HP. Okay, ya, he was a secret agent who did some good stuff, but he was still a giant fucking douchebag for 6 years to a kid who did absolutely nothing to him, just because he looked like a guy he didn't like..... He also joined with the baddies and was content murdering and destroying muggles and mudbloods until the one person he cared about died lol. It's irredeemable behavior, but it's the same shit where people act like the guy is actually worth a damn because he had a moment of not being a complete shit-heel.

They didn't, what show did you watch? There was no forgiveness or redemption, it was showing why he turned out the way he did, why his interactions and relationships are fuelled with anger and resentment. It was good the way they did it, so Eleven could use that pain against him to connect with Billy so he could fight the Mind Flayer.

On that note, Dacre Montgomery was phenomenal, this one hell of a performance. This scene was one of the best in the show, the way he shows the internal conflict of Billy as the Mind Flayer talks to Eleven. The way he is so menacing and evil, but so vulnerable and scared, that tear drop @2:28.

Millie Bobby Brown got to show so much more this season too, her acting was exceptional.

I also loved Hopper watching Magnum P.I in this first scene of episode 1, then he orders the shirt and acts like he's some badass P.I throughout the season :rofl:

This post was edited by piatek on Jul 14 2019 10:47pm
Gold: 23.00
Jul 15 2019 01:22am
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Jul 15 2019 03:38am)
Vouch.

I didn't really think of it as trying to get us to forgive him. I looked at if just as a backstory as to why he is who he is. Instead of being a random bully they showed us the trauma that morphed him into that bully. Plus it made his sacrifice at the end make more sense.
Gold: 10,025.00
Jul 15 2019 02:03am
Quote (fuzzy159 @ Jul 15 2019 01:22am)
I didn't really think of it as trying to get us to forgive him. I looked at if just as a backstory as to why he is who he is. Instead of being a random bully they showed us the trauma that morphed him into that bully. Plus it made his sacrifice at the end make more sense.

Like I said. It was an attempted redemption arc and it fell flat pretty hard. It definitely could have been handled much better. Being able to resist the mind flayer and decide to sacrifice himself came out of no where and was in no way earned. It happened purely because the plot demanded it.

Edit: typo

This post was edited by Blah58 on Jul 15 2019 02:04am
Gold: 24.40
Jul 15 2019 11:56am
seriously? he was a bully, not a mass murderer. it made sense.
Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
Jul 15 2019 12:14pm
Quote (Blah58 @ Jul 15 2019 01:03am)
Like I said. It was an attempted redemption arc and it fell flat pretty hard. It definitely could have been handled much better. Being able to resist the mind flayer and decide to sacrifice himself came out of no where and was in no way earned. It happened purely because the plot demanded it.

Edit: typo

This is exactly how I felt.

I get why people don't see it that way, but i will respectively agree to disagree.
Gold: 39,837.69
Jul 15 2019 04:10pm
Watched season 1 when it came out, never watched 2. Then I saw 3 dropped, so I went back and started over with 1, then finally 2, then 3.

1 is still a near perfect show/season
2 was meh, some major pointless shit in there but had it’s moments
3 was meh too, very different which is fine and had good parts as well, but was so fucking annoyed by Lucas’ sister. Why the fuck is she in the show? Take her out and it’s so much better

I guess they are making season 4.... just hard to see the angel they are gonna take for this. How many times can you do the same shit over and over.

Still think they should have kept it at 1 season.
Gold: 63,142.89
Jul 15 2019 07:01pm
Quote (EmericAn @ Jul 15 2019 06:10pm)
I guess they are making season 4.... just hard to see the angel they are gonna take for this. How many times can you do the same shit over and over.

The only aspect of the show that I think suffers from being "too similar to previous seasons" is the monster they are fighting. Our understanding of the threat hasn't evolved significantly and the monsters haven't changed hardly at all.

Other than that aspect, I think the show is doing a fine job mixing up the content between seasons. New characters are introduced and existing ones are killed off at a healthy pace. S3 introduced the newspaper, the Russians and it ended by having a handful of the main cast move away from Hawkins. This is a pretty healthy dose of change for a mere 8 episodes.

Still think they should have kept it at 1 season.

I'm on record saying that I think the show should have used an anthology format, showing strange things happening in different states at different decades. That would have kept it fresh.

Interestingly enough, I recently learned that the initial vision for the show would have had S2 take place in Hawkins but many years in the future, when the main crew had all grown up and moved away. The story would have conjured up some reason to bring them as adults (new actors) all back to town (reunion/funeral?), the supernatural danger would resurface and they would tackle it together in a new way. Personally, I think this would be a fantastic way to end the series.

was so fucking annoyed by Lucas’ sister. Why the fuck is she in the show? Take her out and it’s so much better

I agree she was annoying, but the note they ended things on left me wanting to see which direction they take her next season. It would be interesting to see her mature a bit (calm down) and contribute to the group.

Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
Prev1363738394044Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll