d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Books For Beginners To Get Into Programing? > Iso You Guys Advice :)
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 23,934.37
Mar 12 2016 05:16pm
Please help
Gold: Locked
Warn: 20%
Mar 12 2016 05:24pm
google 'python the hard way'. Free online book.

of course it isn't c/c++
Gold: 12,935.00
Mar 12 2016 06:42pm
I would say start with some kind of Javascript/PHP/Python.

These languages are more focused on making things work, by having the programmer not need to focus on types (among other things).

For Javascript there's the "You Don't Know JS" book, which is free in ebook form: https://github.com/getify/You-Dont-Know-JS/blob/master/README.md#you-dont-know-js-book-series

This post was edited by Klexmoo on Mar 12 2016 06:44pm
Gold: 7.41
Mar 12 2016 09:47pm
Quote (Klexmoo @ Mar 12 2016 07:42pm)
I would say start with some kind of Javascript/PHP/Python.

These languages are more focused on making things work, by having the programmer not need to focus on types (among other things).

This lays a foundation of bad habits. I would strongly suggest against this approach.

Mar 13 2016 03:56am
Quote (Minkomonster @ 13 Mar 2016 04:47)
This lays a foundation of bad habits. I would strongly suggest against this approach.

Beginners don't need to be introduced to good habits.

They can learn them when they know how to start and end a line of code.
Mar 13 2016 04:26pm
Quote (Klexmoo @ Mar 13 2016 04:56am)
Beginners don't need to be introduced to good habits.

They can learn them when they know how to start and end a line of code.

You clearly are just an enthusiast then. You aren't a professional I take it. Because if you were you would be singing a different tune. The attitude you have towards beginners is part of the reason we have such shit developers in the professional field. Laying a foundation of bad habits does nothing but sabotage any chance of that beginner ever becoming anything spectacular.
Mar 14 2016 01:28am
Quote (Minkomonster @ 13 Mar 2016 23:26)
You clearly are just an enthusiast then. You aren't a professional I take it. Because if you were you would be singing a different tune. The attitude you have towards beginners is part of the reason we have such shit developers in the professional field. Laying a foundation of bad habits does nothing but sabotage any chance of that beginner ever becoming anything spectacular.

The attitude towards beginners in my country seems to be a lot different than yours.

I realize that good habits while coding is of great importance (I try to stray from bad habits myself even!) but I have met a lot of hobbyist coders, or enthusiasts as you say, who also manage to keep good habits.

It all comes down to the individual person being able to think for themselves rather than follow a book by the dot.

If you think that everyone who is good at coding with great habits came from a background starting with nurturing those habits, frankly, you are very ignorant.

This post was edited by Klexmoo on Mar 14 2016 01:36am
Gold: 1,389.00
Mar 14 2016 04:07am
Tomorrow go find the "Dive into python" on the web. Don't fucking worry if you get nothing at first. Then navigate to python.org and learn the standard library by bloody hard. Then grind, and I meant it, bitch, you grind the pythonian coding convention PEP8 until you know it by rote. When you write your first own imageboard, picking up html+css in the process, time to download and study any python-based asynchronous web-server. I recommend Tornado or Gevent. By the time you alter your imageboard so that it can at least manage giving off 5k request per second, you'd be ready to move on: the intriguing world of high-load programming at your feed. Apache Hadoop, ultrafast asynchronous key-value storages, MapReduce. It won't be long for you to laugh at the fuck ups of NEETs and poor Slavs that live off by sucking cocks and no longer than in half a year your income will grow to the point when any bitch will get wet from only a mention of your salary.
Mar 14 2016 11:52pm
Quote (Klexmoo @ Mar 14 2016 02:28am)

If you think that everyone who is good at coding with great habits came from a background starting with nurturing those habits, frankly, you are very ignorant.

No, I am saying beginners who form a foundation on bad habits are setting themselves up for a difficult course correction later down the line. It is an unnecessary set back to impose on yourself. Just learn the fundamentals correctly from the start and you will be far better off than anyone trying to play catch up after the fact.

And I don't appreciate your straw man's and ad hominems. Perhaps that is another thing different about your country and mine. In my country we argue with logic, not fallacies.

Gold: 9,039.20
Mar 15 2016 01:42am
Quote (deadNightTiger @ Mar 14 2016 04:07am)
Tomorrow go find the "Dive into python" on the web. Don't fucking worry if you get nothing at first. Then navigate to python.org and learn the standard library by bloody hard. Then grind, and I meant it, bitch, you grind the pythonian coding convention PEP8 until you know it by rote. When you write your first own imageboard, picking up html+css in the process, time to download and study any python-based asynchronous web-server. I recommend Tornado or Gevent. By the time you alter your imageboard so that it can at least manage giving off 5k request per second, you'd be ready to move on: the intriguing world of high-load programming at your feed. Apache Hadoop, ultrafast asynchronous key-value storages, MapReduce. It won't be long for you to laugh at the fuck ups of NEETs and poor Slavs that live off by sucking cocks and no longer than in half a year your income will grow to the point when any bitch will get wet from only a mention of your salary.

install gentoo
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll