d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Graphic Design > Photography > Mirrorless Vs Dslr
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 10.00
Aug 10 2015 04:24pm
Anybody have experience with mirrorless cameras? How do you like them compared to DSLRs?

They seem to be trending very rapidly and I'm looking at possibly selling my DSLR and getting a mirrorless because I need a smaller/lighter camera.
Gold: 3,717.10
Aug 11 2015 07:22pm
depends on your "skill" level so to speak, your particular needs from it etc. i would say the best mirrorless cameras right now are the A7 series from Sony. If you are not doing photography as a job, just as a hobby, go mirrorless. If you are earning money from photography, keep in mind low battery life, slow af and the fact that most of the good lens come from other brands => you would need a convertor (but it's not such a huge issue). i recommend dpreview and side by side comparison with other camers or dxomark.com for an even more detailed breakdown :).
Gold: 95.50
Aug 15 2015 05:47am
I'm actually in the process right now of looking into sony mirrorless

I've been watching lots of videos and reading a lot about this and ALOT of professional photographers are making the transition.

Sony is leaping too far ahead with technology not to

I really love my Canon full frame but for the price Sony doesn't seem to be beat.

As stated above, they have garbage battery life, they have FAST AF (faster than DSLR and better as well), they do need a converter for the lenses but that doesn't mean anything nowadays.

I would say just give one a try.
Go online and rent one for a week and shoot them side by side
Gold: 125.00
Aug 15 2015 08:19pm
Quote (Njoy @ Aug 10 2015 03:24pm)
Anybody have experience with mirrorless cameras? How do you like them compared to DSLRs?

They seem to be trending very rapidly and I'm looking at possibly selling my DSLR and getting a mirrorless because I need a smaller/lighter camera.

It all comes down to your needs & your budget. Sony has some really cool mirrorless options... but DSLR is still where quality and performance reigns supreme across the board.

A smaller crop-sensor or micro 4/3's camera will end up being lighter. You'll also get lighter lenses. And, you'll likely be spending less on lenses. However, you end up with:
1) Lower quality lenses overall. Slower apertures, less resolved sharpness, etc.
2) A smaller sensor. Worse ISO performance, worse dynamic range, worse recoverability of shadows.
3) Autofocus may be quite a bit slower. Viewfinder may be absolute shite.
4) The list could go on, but those are my main points anyway.

You sound like you are interested in mirrorless based on reasons that have nothing to do with the final result (the photo). It sounds like you want mirrorless based on the tech-side of things only, regardless of how that would influence the end result.

My opinion: If you need the smaller form-factor, go for it. But if you're spending big bucks ($1000 or more), just go with a DSLR, you're probably better off (unless if Sony's offerings seem good to you).

No mirrorless can really compete with the Nikon D750. Sony's new A7Rii is pretty cool though.

This post was edited by Canadian_Man on Aug 15 2015 08:19pm
Gold: 10.00
Aug 18 2015 02:12pm
The Sony A6000 is catching my eye because of its good reviews. The reason I need something small is because I'm going to be backpacking through Europe for several months with only a small backpack that needs to weigh less than 8kg so I can bring it on planes. I don't want to use a point&shoot though
Gold: 11.02
Sep 8 2015 06:24am
I think it comes down to what type of photography you're into.

The lenses and the focus tracking leave a lot to be desired for sports, wildlife, and anything action oriented.

But portrait photography and street photography the sony's are outstanding.

I wouldn't sell your full frame for an a7 or a7II, but get one in addition to it. the a6000 would also be a good secondary.

And if you're into video, they can't be beat right now.

This post was edited by Sonicgundam on Sep 8 2015 06:25am
Go Back To Photography Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll