d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > International > Japanese > Best Way To Memorize Characters? > Kanji, Hiragana, Katakana
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 10.00
Feb 17 2015 11:46pm
So I'm currently studying the writing, with the grammar and speech. I have a small issue. I have trouble remembering the writing.
The book I'm using provides romaji next to the normal Japanese script. I find myself not able to remember the script and I need a good method to stop force myself to memorize the characters.
Gold: 840.00
Feb 18 2015 10:38am
I hate romaji. what exactly are you trying to memorize? is it romaji next to hiragana or kanji?

if your trying to memorize kanji its best to write them hundreds of times

but I would recommend getting a book that doesn't use romaji, the Genki books are great beginner books
Gold: 10.00
Feb 18 2015 08:40pm
I'm currently trying to remember Hiragana and Katakana. Then memorize the set of Kanji they give you.
The book gives you both Kana and Kanji next to Romaji and English. They explain that the romanji is there for people who don't have time to learn the script, but that the script is easier and better if you have the time for it.
I plan to learn how to write Japanese with the grammar THEN learn how to speak it. I don't know if there's other methods, but I felt like that would be the best for me.
Gold: 840.00
Feb 22 2015 08:54pm
Quote (Miyagehin @ Feb 18 2015 09:40pm)
I'm currently trying to remember Hiragana and Katakana. Then memorize the set of Kanji they give you.
The book gives you both Kana and Kanji next to Romaji and English. They explain that the romanji is there for people who don't have time to learn the script, but that the script is easier and better if you have the time for it.
I plan to learn how to write Japanese with the grammar THEN learn how to speak it. I don't know if there's other methods, but I felt like that would be the best for me.

as far as hiragana and katakana go, your just going to have to memorize them. use flash cards and start memorizing. they are the two easy ones to do.

I think writing Japanese is the hardest part. speaking it isn't really that bad, but remembering thousands of kanji is quite time consuming, and just knowing hiragana and katakana wont really help you with reading passages. no one really writes Japanese with only hiragana and katakana.

the romanji will really only help you with pronunciation, and will make transitioning into reading Japanese take longer.

once again, I would recommend you pick up Genki I from amazon or somewhere. the book is like 30$ and teaches hiragana/katakana/150kanji and gives a lot of useful vocabulary. it does not use romanji, and even gives practice passages and practice work for reading/writing.
Go Back To Japanese Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll