d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Basketball > Toronto Raptors > Discussion, Love, Hate, Rage, Etc.
Prev1234195Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Retired Moderator
Gold: 505.00
Trader: Trusted
Oct 27 2014 03:09pm
Awkward is as awkward does, and meeting someone or a group from d2jsp is probably best done without too much expectation one way or the other :)

As for Los Craptors, I like the idea of using this topic to discuss them. However I don't like that it invites rage, unless it's rage from Raptors fan about how Derozan missed that last shot or something.

I've put myself out there to suggest that they will win the Atlantic and achieve 50x w this year. If they don't that's a disappointment, because they are capable of winning 55 games this year. They have talent, depth, increased maturity, more defensive tools, more skill, more experience (ty playoffs) and of course a couple of new faces. So far, Masai Ujiri has done a great job at facilitating change while keeping the core together.

If they finish any less than 5th in the East, I'll be surprised and disappointed. Last year they tied for 3rd/4th with DA BULLS. The Bulls and Cavs improved, but the Heat and Pacers weakened; it's reasonable to expect the Raptors will finish 3rd. Wizards/Bobcats/Pacers/Knicks/Heat should all be in the conversation, but the Raptors look like #3. And, if the Bulls can't stay healthy, then the Raptors look like #2. Some insiders have the Raptors in the ECF, but I still have them losing in the 2nd round -- which is more the consensus view I have seen given by insiders.

My best guess is:
Cavs
Bulls
Raptors
Heat/Wizards
Knicks
Pacers? + rest

Gold: 8,472.65
Oct 27 2014 03:48pm
Quote (RewtheBrave @ Oct 27 2014 01:09pm)
Awkward is as awkward does, and meeting someone or a group from d2jsp is probably best done without too much expectation one way or the other :)

As for Los Craptors, I like the idea of using this topic to discuss them. However I don't like that it invites rage, unless it's rage from Raptors fan about how Derozan missed that last shot or something.

I've put myself out there to suggest that they will win the Atlantic and achieve 50x w this year. If they don't that's a disappointment, because they are capable of winning 55 games this year. They have talent, depth, increased maturity, more defensive tools, more skill, more experience (ty playoffs) and of course a couple of new faces. So far, Masai Ujiri has done a great job at facilitating change while keeping the core together.

If they finish any less than 5th in the East, I'll be surprised and disappointed. Last year they tied for 3rd/4th with DA BULLS. The Bulls and Cavs improved, but the Heat and Pacers weakened; it's reasonable to expect the Raptors will finish 3rd. Wizards/Bobcats/Pacers/Knicks/Heat should all be in the conversation, but the Raptors look like #3. And, if the Bulls can't stay healthy, then the Raptors look like #2. Some insiders have the Raptors in the ECF, but I still have them losing in the 2nd round -- which is more the consensus view I have seen given by insiders.

My best guess is:
Cavs
Bulls
Raptors
Heat/Wizards
Knicks
Pacers? + rest

Hornets?
Gold: 77,655.69
Oct 27 2014 05:08pm
wats the consensus on t ross this season? Will his numbers/touches improve or stay the sameish
Retired Moderator
Oct 27 2014 05:18pm
Quote (Harasmussen @ 27 Oct 2014 17:48)
Hornets?

Oops, yeah, I had said Bobcats above and I meant to have them in there. Double the fail, double the fun. They should be a decent team (I mean for an EC team).

Quote (oWntpWnt @ 27 Oct 2014 19:08)
wats the consensus on t ross this season? Will his numbers/touches improve or stay the sameish

He is better but the team is better, too. I like his 3 right now. I think he will probably have more touches and he will probably see his numbers go up, but it depends on whether they make changes in their offense. At the very least I think he will take & hit more 3s. However Lowry has a habit of finding himslef on the perimeter when the ball will be kicked out, and I'm not sure Derozan is going to facilitate once he has the ball. That's something Demar needs to work on.

Oct 27 2014 05:47pm
Quote (RewtheBrave @ Oct 27 2014 06:18pm)
Oops, yeah, I had said Bobcats above and I meant to have them in there. Double the fail, double the fun. They should be a decent team (I mean for an EC team).

He is better but the team is better, too. I like his 3 right now. I think he will probably have more touches and he will probably see his numbers go up, but it depends on whether they make changes in their offense. At the very least I think he will take & hit more 3s. However Lowry has a habit of finding himslef on the perimeter when the ball will be kicked out, and I'm not sure Derozan is going to facilitate once he has the ball. That's something Demar needs to work on.

hmm alright would like to see him turn into a 15 ppg guy, he offers more than just 3's but i guess Demar is the man in those specific departments alrdy
Retired Moderator
Oct 27 2014 05:54pm
Quote (oWntpWnt @ 27 Oct 2014 19:47)
hmm alright would like to see him turn into a 15 ppg guy, he offers more than just 3's but i guess Demar is the man in those specific departments alrdy

It's a problem of duplication of talent in the half court, except TRoss can light it up when he's consistent. Derozan is a better ball handler than TRoss, and he's also a smarter/more knowledgable player--and he's stronger. So he will get more touches; not just that, but in some ways he's a 2 and in some he basically snipes the role of the 3.
Where I think Ross can start to build his numbers are on the perimeter and in getting out on transition early. He has 15 ppg potential--and really much more than that--but his talent and physical abilities aren't enough. He's still learning to trust himself and he doesn't really know the game at an elite level. I will say that he has really stepped up on defense. It's just one more reason why he has All-Star potential. I don't see him reaching his potential, but it is scary.

If TRoss was stronger he could leave his man and help in the paint by deflecting shots and getting rebounds. That's only a dream, but if he did that there's no doubt he'd be rewarded with opportunities at the other end.
Oct 27 2014 06:00pm
Quote (RewtheBrave @ Oct 27 2014 06:54pm)
It's a problem of duplication of talent in the half court, except TRoss can light it up when he's consistent. Derozan is a better ball handler than TRoss, and he's also a smarter/more knowledgable player--and he's stronger. So he will get more touches; not just that, but in some ways he's a 2 and in some he basically snipes the role of the 3.
Where I think Ross can start to build his numbers are on the perimeter and in getting out on transition early. He has 15 ppg potential--and really much more than that--but his talent and physical abilities aren't enough. He's still learning to trust himself and he doesn't really know the game at an elite level. I will say that he has really stepped up on defense. It's just one more reason why he has All-Star potential. I don't see him reaching his potential, but it is scary.

If TRoss was stronger he could leave his man and help in the paint by deflecting shots and getting rebounds. That's only a dream, but if he did that there's no doubt he'd be rewarded with opportunities at the other end.

:wub: i feel like ive known him all my life now even tho i just drafted him in my fantasy league yesterday
Gold: 171.76
Oct 27 2014 08:31pm
Quote (RewtheBrave @ Oct 27 2014 05:09pm)

My best guess is:
Cavs
Bulls
Raptors
Heat/Wizards
Knicks
Pacers? + rest

If raptors win 50 games I will make peace with harassmusent
Gold: 5,449.10
Warn: 40%
Oct 27 2014 08:43pm
go raps
Retired Moderator
Oct 27 2014 09:16pm
Quote (bitg_pj @ 27 Oct 2014 22:31)
If raptors win 50 games I will make peace with harassmusent

Prepare for peace. Last year they won 48 games and most of their success came after the trade to remove Gay. They have a slightly better line-up, improved core, and new defensive schemes. If they don't win 50 games in the East, I'll be surprised. Especially under Casey. I don't know the official team goal but I'm guessing they have their eyes on a ship. It's a hard road and their only chance is to continue to play as a team, work hard every quarter, and work their butts off ofn defense. I think they could do it, but in all honesty I still see them losing in the 2nd round.
Go Back To Basketball Topic List
Prev1234195Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll