d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Graphic Design > Photography > Things You Shoot At A Certain Time Of Day > Covering All Hours
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.82
Aug 6 2014 12:39pm
I typically avoid shooting between the post sunrise hours - 3 or 4 PM because I dislike the harsh shadows. What do you shoot during these hours?
Gold: 6,233.01
Sep 10 2014 09:23am
I love end of day for the soft yellowish light :)
Gold: 70.00
Sep 10 2014 10:20am
i like shooting those harsh shadows, especially buildings and busy streets.
Banned
Gold: 0.00
Sep 10 2014 12:37pm
golden hour
all depends on the content you're shooting though
Gold: 2,069.69
Sep 11 2014 01:05pm
I don't really like shooting when it's super bright out... Something is always over exposed, the sky, the person, or a background. It's nice for action shots though, like street hockey or something.
Gold: 2.69
Nov 20 2014 10:50pm
my answer is based on a general time frame of "harsh mid-day sun", regardless of winter/summer.

if I shoot:

landscape

i just point and shoot as i cant afford to ideally light a landscape. of course balancing to my taste what fits in the frame.

portraits.

in direct sun.

best to use the sun as a back/hair/rim light

reflect/flash-fill back into subject, match exposure to desired outcome/taste

in shadow (similar to using a softbox, or a south-facing window, in the US at least)

subject is as close to edge of shadow as possible to get most/best quality soft even light

again reflect/flash-fill back into subject

of course background comes into play in each scenario.

i just try to avoid anything that distracts, as best as can be achieved per each situation.
use smallest aperture possible to bokeh the background...

I tend to keep in mind, subject should be the brightest thing in the image, as my eye is naturally drawn to the brightest spot.

i think i over answered, but there there ya go.

Gold: 125.00
Nov 21 2014 07:01pm
I shoot when I want. I mean... I'll avoid pitch dark night, unless if I really want to take shots, in which case I'll bring my SB-700.

I guess I avoid bad light. Uninteresting, flat light. If the day has lots of light, or nice light, then I'm fine with that. I think the scenario matters. If you're shooting, for example, an area with lots of trees and shade, then the dynamic range on your shots can end up being really bad... trees can look pretty bad with lots of black that has to be brought up, and lots of highlights that have to be brought down.

If I'm going out to shoot landscapes, I aim for sunset... I'm never up for sunrise anyways. But I don't think much about the time of day.

If I'm shooting wildlife (which is rare), I *hope* for as much light as possible, since I shoot with a 70-300 VR and given the lens isn't exceedingly sharp, bumping ISO above 1600 takes away from the appearance of sharpness even more... so I like getting a 1/1000 or quicker shutter (ideally 1/2000), and an ISO as low as possible in order to milk everything I can out of that budget telephoto setup. When it's an extremely bright day, I can get some really great shots out of it.

But that's just for enthusiast shooting.

This post was edited by Canadian_Man on Nov 21 2014 07:05pm
Go Back To Photography Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll