d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Culinary Arts > My Culinary Journey > Life Of A Restaurant Chef
Prev1234520Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 110.00
Aug 7 2014 01:25am
I need to make one as my life as a wedding & event cake designer. except itd just be a journal full of stress dealing with crazy brides and people every day.
Gold: 0.00
Aug 8 2014 02:36am
Quote (Creations @ Jul 29 2014 04:15am)
They're actually Texas Gulf shrimp, and they're actually cooked thoroughly with the acid from the lime juice. :)

Tonight I prepared a pan-seared ribeye with roasted garlic mashed potatoes, green beans sautéed with bacon/garlic, and a mushroom Demi-Glas. This particular table wanted their steak cooked more than what I personally like. I like mine cooked medium-rare. But it is what it is, I guess.

http://i.imgur.com/dLYSIJu.jpg

A Demi-Glas is traditionally made by combining a brown stock, and an Espanole sauce (among a few other things), and simmered for a while. I actually made a shortened version of this sauce, which turned out extremely well, and is great to use if you don't have time to make your own stock and Espanole sauce.

Here's how I did it.

Steak:
Ribeye steaks (a sirloin or New York strip would work well here too)
Kosher salt
Freshly cracked black pepper
Olive oil

- Rub your steaks with olive oil, salt and black pepper. Season them pretty liberally, so you can get a nice crust on them. Put olive oil in a pan and set it to a high heat. Sear one side of the steak until you get a golden brown crust, flip it over and throw the pan in a 500 degree oven for a few minutes and cook to your desired doneness. You can put a small bit of butter on the steaks just before taking them out of the oven which will help them be more juicy, but it's optional. Remove the steak from the oven and let it rest for at least 5 minutes before cutting it.

Mushroom Demi-Glas:
Beef or veal stock
Red wine
Peppercorns
Tomato paste
Garlic cloves
Fresh Thyme
Fresh mushrooms
Kosher salt
Butter

- Combine everything except your butter and salt in a sauce pan and let it simmer for at least an hour. Since a traditional Demi-Glas is made by adding an Espanole sauce and this doesn't have that, adding just a bit of tomato paste will add some richness to your sauce that would otherwise be missing without the Espanole. Once the sauce has simmered for at least an hour, strain the liquid and add it back to the sauce pan. Let this continue to simmer until it has reduced by 1/2. Season it to taste, and add a bit of butter to finish the sauce. This will thicken the sauce a little bit more, and give it that glossy, smooth finish that a good Demi sauce should have. Serve it immediately.

Roasted garlic mashed potatoes:
Yukon potatoes
Roasted garlic
Heavy cream
Butter
Kosher salt
Black pepper

- Pretty simple. Whip the ingredients until it's smooth.

Green beans:
Fresh green beans
Minced garlic
Bacon
Olive oil
Kosher salt
Black pepper

- Trim the ends off the green beans and blanch them by boiling them and shocking them by throwing them in ice water after boiling them. In a sautéed pan, lightly coat the pan with olive oil and cook the bacon until it's crispy. Remove the bacon and leave the bacon fat in the pan. Obviously if there's too much fat left, drain a bit from the pan. Add on the green beans and sauté them a bit before adding in the garlic, so the garlic won't burn. Season with salt and pepper, and sauté for a few minutes. Stir in the bacon pieces just before serving for a little crunch.

This is actually one of my favorite dishes I have ever made, and the sauce tasted like something you worked on for hours on end. Although I prefer my steaks cooked a little less than the guests that ordered this plate, cooking your steaks like this will make them juicy almost every time. A few tickets later someone ordered theirs well done and it was still extremely juicy and flavorful.

I hope you all enjoy,

Although whipping your own stock can be time consuming, it's usually worth it since your providing a base flavor aside the steak. Although presentation is very important, quality is more important. Even in the small things!

It looks from the picture as though this particular steak is more on the Medium Rare side than Medium how the customer requested (I assume by your description on their order). Though every great Chef has their own preferences on particulars, in the end we must realize it is not how we want to see it, it is how they want to see it :P

It is a good feeling to know when your dish is served to a table, while it passes other customers will notice it's exquisite texture and attention to detail, knowing it's quality is nothing short of that. And best of all, the Awe of the customer receiving such a dish.

As for cutting the meat beforehand, this is sometimes good depending on the serving and serve time. However with steaks this is usually never a good thing because the cooling from room temperature. It's always good to take consideration of your kitchens temperature, and the dining rooms. Most Steak meats are considered a breathable meat at xx.xx amount of time. And everybody loves their hot foods to be hot but ready to eat! (not scolding).

a Good tip for serve time is take the 5 minute rest time in consideration when serving, for example instead of letting it set to the air or in a 93 degree warmer for the 5 minute haul, shorten the 5 minutes for every 6 degrees under 93, and serve it to time itself right at the table. This typically eliminates cutting but does not eliminate prep time for it's sides. (This is one of the most difficult things to achieve for every Chef, it's perfection!)

Aside all that, your dish here looks to be a well prepared dish with a decent presentation! :)
Gold: 250.00
Aug 8 2014 02:15pm
yum
Gold: 120.00
Aug 8 2014 08:02pm
Quote (Jolene @ Aug 8 2014 03:36am)
Although whipping your own stock can be time consuming, it's usually worth it since your providing a base flavor aside the steak. Although presentation is very important, quality is more important. Even in the small things!

It looks from the picture as though this particular steak is more on the Medium Rare side than Medium how the customer requested (I assume by your description on their order). Though every great Chef has their own preferences on particulars, in the end we must realize it is not how we want to see it, it is how they want to see it :P

It is a good feeling to know when your dish is served to a table, while it passes other customers will notice it's exquisite texture and attention to detail, knowing it's quality is nothing short of that. And best of all, the Awe of the customer receiving such a dish.

As for cutting the meat beforehand, this is sometimes good depending on the serving and serve time. However with steaks this is usually never a good thing because the cooling from room temperature. It's always good to take consideration of your kitchens temperature, and the dining rooms. Most Steak meats are considered a breathable meat at xx.xx amount of time. And everybody loves their hot foods to be hot but ready to eat! (not scolding).

a Good tip for serve time is take the 5 minute rest time in consideration when serving, for example instead of letting it set to the air or in a 93 degree warmer for the 5 minute haul, shorten the 5 minutes for every 6 degrees under 93, and serve it to time itself right at the table. This typically eliminates cutting but does not eliminate prep time for it's sides. (This is one of the most difficult things to achieve for every Chef, it's perfection!)

Aside all that, your dish here looks to be a well prepared dish with a decent presentation! :)

Who are y0u? 5 min rest time behind the line for a steak?
Also never cut a steak before it's cut unless for a sandwhich.
Gold: 69.69
Aug 8 2014 11:52pm
Quote (AriG0Ld @ Aug 8 2014 08:02pm)

Sounds about right
Gold: 21,000.00
Trader: Trusted
Aug 9 2014 01:28am
Quote (Jolene @ Aug 8 2014 03:36am)

I make all my own stocks. There is no substitute for a real, traditionally made stock. So I agree with you here.
This steak is actually cooked medium, which in fact was their order. Medium rare is not pink, as you will see the redness of the meat if it's cooked properly.
As for cutting the steaks, I completely disagree with you. It's based on personal preference, and really, what cut of meat you're working with. When working in a professional kitchen, cooling of the meat while waiting on sides is usual not an issue, as our ticket times account for a 3-5 minute rest time for the meat. This doesn't cool the meat, it simply allows the juices to settle in the meat, creating a juicier outcome. But realistically, rest times in a professional kitchen aren't always possible. If you can't rest the meat, you can let the time it's played until it hits the table be the rest time.
Gold: 0.00
Aug 10 2014 03:55am
Quote (AriG0Ld @ Aug 8 2014 10:02pm)

Not sure what your implying with this statement, maybe you read my post wrong? :P

Quote (Creations @ Aug 9 2014 03:28am)
I make all my own stocks. There is no substitute for a real, traditionally made stock. So I agree with you here.
This steak is actually cooked medium, which in fact was their order. Medium rare is not pink, as you will see the redness of the meat if it's cooked properly.
As for cutting the steaks, I completely disagree with you. It's based on personal preference, and really, what cut of meat you're working with. When working in a professional kitchen, cooling of the meat while waiting on sides is usual not an issue, as our ticket times account for a 3-5 minute rest time for the meat. This doesn't cool the meat, it simply allows the juices to settle in the meat, creating a juicier outcome. But realistically, rest times in a professional kitchen aren't always possible. If you can't rest the meat, you can let the time it's played until it hits the table be the rest time.

I love making my own stock for everything! I feel strongly about it

As for the steak being medium / medium rare, it's just what I can tell from the picture, meant no offense by this hun! <3

As for the cutting, we all of course have our own opinion on things, this just happens to be mine and my experience in my kitchen :), And yes it does matter which meat your working with I agree, this is why I specify steaks in general :)

When working in my professional kitchen aswell as the one I had started out in myself, it was a factor to take in consideration, and an importance to detail. Beings we pride ourselfs on being professional, we try to leave no room for error, mistakes, or poor step-decisions such as prep to rest time while serving other dishes. I've learned that a 93 degree hold temperature is a great settling for the meat for what you would call, a juicier outcome. It's a happy-medium if your other dishes are not ready.

Otherwise like you said, realistically the demand in such kitchens is often high and makes this impossible, therefore we often let it's rest time be played on it's way to the table. This is what I was trying to explain with the cool time and the 5 min 6 degree under 93 rule of thumb, I think we're agreeing on that!

-----

I apologize if I come off the wrong way hun, just explaining my opinion to this situation and trying to offer you some advice to it. I'm not the most experienced Chef but for what little time I've been into the Culinary business and majored in such degree, I've learned quite alot about perfection and customer happiness. Especially since our restaurant is often reviewed monthly on a random bases to keep up the competition :D

-----

Keep your great creations rolling! :)
Gold: 3.33
Aug 10 2014 04:04am
I don't really cook food I just eat whatever is there or whatever my mum makes. :lol: This stuff looks more advanced
Gold: 66.40
Aug 10 2014 06:07am
ur eat looks good :drool:
btw the pork, i thought it was fish xD
Gold: 21,000.00
Trader: Trusted
Aug 13 2014 12:01am
Here's what I made tonight at work. It's been a long day, so I am too lazy to list the ingredients and such. So I will come back and edit that later. :)

This is a steak tartare made with local, free range beef. It's served with a carrot, cucumber, and jalapeno slaw, balsamic vinegar reduction, and a tomato puree.

Go Back To Culinary Arts Topic List
Prev1234520Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll