d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > User Blogs > Guide For Streaming With Twitch.tv > Complete Step By Step Guide With Picture
Closed New Topic
Retired Moderator
Gold: 3,835.50
Trader: Trusted
Jul 15 2013 08:00pm

Created by: ArtofApocalypse

The following is a guide that will have you streaming, using Open Broadcaster Software on Twitch.tv in no time!

I. Registering & Downloading
II. Internet Speed & CPU
III. Settings 1
IV. Settings 2
V. Settings 3
VI. Sources
VII. Troubleshooting

This post was edited by ArtofApocalypse on Dec 16 2013 03:08pm
Retired Moderator
Jul 15 2013 08:02pm

Create your Twitch.tv account at http://www.twitch.tv/
-- You might have to activate your twitch.tv account by going to your e-mail

Download Open Broadcaster Software at https://obsproject.com/download
-- Current Stable - Left Download

32 Bit & 64 Bit will be downloaded, use whichever matches your OS architecture.

If you do not know whether you run 32 bit or 64 bit, the next post will show to see your system specs!

This post was edited by ArtofApocalypse on Dec 16 2013 03:29pm
Retired Moderator
Jul 15 2013 08:02pm

Find out your Internet Speed:

Go to http://www.speedtest.net/ and run a Speed Test
-- For this guide, we will use my speed for our calculations

My Results:

-- Notice that the result is Mbps, this means Mega Bits Per Second
-- For streaming we only care about UPLOAD SPEED

Go to: http://www.unitconversion.org/data-storage/megabits-to-kilobits-conversion.html
Lets convert our results from Mbps to Kbps (Kilo Bits Per Second)

Explanation:

I rounded my UPLOAD SPEED to 36 and the website converted the number from Mb to Kb: 36864
Save your number for later, we will take 75% of 36864 and that will be our CAP for our Bit Rate for streaming.
In my case, 75% of 36864 is 27648 This number is the highest Bit Rate I can go for streaming. Luckily, we don't need this high of a Upload Speed -- Don't worry!

Now lets get your CPU, to find out your System Specs do one of the following:

1st Method: Hit your Windows Key on your keyboard and R at the same time. type in: dxdiag
2nd Method: Click Start, in the search box type in: dxdiag
3rd Method: Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, Run and type in: dxdiag

Click Yes if you get a pop-up. After, you should see:

Processor: This is your CPU, remember this for later.

This post was edited by ArtofApocalypse on Dec 16 2013 03:34pm
Retired Moderator
Jul 15 2013 08:03pm

Run Open Broadcaster Software, it's time to configure.

On the top, click Settings and then Settings again. Make sure General is highlighted, I will be providing screenshots for you to Match
In my screenshots, if the setting is a red rectangle, this means you have to change something

General:

Select your Language and Setting Profile, I made my profile my d2jsp account then click Add

Encoding:

Max Bitrate:

Remember when we did a speed test, converted Mb -> Kb and I said take 75% of that number? That is your max bitrate that you can use to stream.
Bitrate depends on the resolution you want to stream at. Higher the quality/pixels, the higher bitrate it requires (1080, 720, 480, 360, 240)
Now you have to decide which resolution you want your stream to be.
For this guide, I'll be using 720p @ 30 FPS

I do not recommend streaming at 1080p unless you are partnered with twitch.tv.
--1280x720p at 30 FPS is common

Bitrate Chart:

Explanation:

As you can see, CPU is very important as well as Upload Speed. This chart is just approximations so there is ALWAYS room for tweaking & lowering settings.

For our guide, I'll be using 2000 bitrate at 720p @ 30 fps.
--Note, 720p isn't your computer resolution, it refers to a Setting we have to adjust later on

I've personally tested this before and it works using my i5 2500k CPU + my superb upload speed
--Approximatly 2.5 Mbps or 2500 kbps is needed, but try it out for yourself!

Enter in your bitrate after studying the chart and let's move onto the Broadcast Settings tab

This post was edited by ArtofApocalypse on Dec 16 2013 03:30pm
Retired Moderator
Jul 15 2013 08:03pm

Click the Broadcast Settings tab right below Encoding

Broadcast Settings:

Server:

Self explanatory, pick the server closet to you.
Sometimes however, the closet server to you isn't always the best one. Try the top 3 closet ones if your stream is experiencing issues.

Play Path/Stream Key:

This is your unique twitch.tv stream key that you should never share with anyone.
To find your stream key, go to: http://www.twitch.tv/broadcast

Make sure you're logged in, then the button "Show Key" will appear.
Click it, copy and paste the entire key

Click the Video tab right below Broadcast Settings

Video:

Custom Resolution: This is your default computer resolution, do not touch
Resolution Downscale: This is what you will be streaming in. I stream in 720p personally and for this guide so I picked 1280 x 720 @ 30 fps
If you do not have this option, or any other resolutions then you can pick something close or change the Custom Resolution, this will create an extra step for adding Sources later on.

This post was edited by ArtofApocalypse on Dec 16 2013 03:31pm
Retired Moderator
Jul 15 2013 08:04pm

Click the Audio tab right below Video

Audio:

Desktop Audio Device:

This is your Speakers or Headset. Sound comes out of this option.
Note: If you pick your speakers or headset, sound is recorded and your viewers will be able to hear any sound coming through

Microphone:
This is your microphone so your viewers can hear you

Click the Advanced tab right below Audio

Advanced:

x264 CPU Preset:

By default this is veryfast, in most cases you will not have to change this
Also, every game is different. Some games require a lot of your CPU so changing this option to "faster" and playing these demanding games will cause problems.
A "Rule of Thumb" you can go by is that you never want to go over 80% CPU usage with your game running while you stream. CPU usage spikes and you do not want to go over 85%
Dual CPU Chips is really good for this, hyper threading is also supported. If you do decide to change the preset to "faster", at most you will save 150-200 bitrate
However, this is useful for if you have a high-end CPU and do not have enough bitrate to stream. This allows you to more "load" on your CPU giving you the ability to lower your bitrate or increasing quality.
I personally use the i5 2500k OC'd and I still stream using "faster"
This is why you earlier found out which CPU you have!

Microphone Noise Gate:

I do not use this. Click Apply and OK

Now we will add your sources.

This post was edited by ArtofApocalypse on Dec 16 2013 03:31pm
Retired Moderator
Jul 15 2013 08:05pm

For this guide, I will be demonstrating how to add Sources for the popular MOBA game "League of Legends".

Explanation
:

Game Capture: This is the best source to use, this usually captures in-game process's such as when you're in a game of League of Legends. If you use this, you might have to pair this with Window Capture for the lobby room of a game until the actual game loads
Window Capture: You can capture windows, such as ventrilo, skype, web browsers, music and lobby room of games such as League of Legends before entering an actual game
Monitor Capture: This source should be your last option. This method will always work but this is the worse capture source to use
Video Capture Device: Webcams or other hardware capturing devices. If you add a webcam, you can resize your webcam and move it around on your stream preview by clicking the "Edit Scenes" button

Adding Sources for League of Legends:

First, make sure League of Legends is opened and you're at the lobby
You can't capture sources unless the program/game is running creating the "process"

Right click the white area below Sources:
Window Capture, I use the name "Out of Game" click OK

I will now provide my screenshot of what you need to do, some scenarios will be different if you are running at different resolutions or downscale.

Window Capture - Out of Game:

Make sure league is opened and you may have to hit the Refresh button a few times and tab in and out of league, possibly leaving league still showing in the background for OBs to pickup the Window
After you add the source, click OK

Now right click the Window Capture source you created:
Position/Size -> Center
Position/Size -> Fit to screen

Now we will add the second source for League of Legends, this will capture your in-game play.

Right click the white area below Sources:
Game Capture, I use the name "In Game" click OK

I will now provide my screenshot of what you need to do, some scenarios will be different if you are running at different resolutions or downscale.
First, make sure you are in a game of League of Legends. Create a custom and wait until you're loaded in at the shop
You can't capture sources unless the program/game is running creating the "process"

Game Capture - In Game:

Make sure you're in a custom game loaded in and you may have to hit the Refresh button a few times.
After you add the source, click OK

Now right click the Game Capture source you created:
Move Up

Congratulations! You're ready to go!
Just click on Dashboard, this will bring you to your twitch.tv channel, pause the stream that loads on the page, and you can use this to chat with your viewers

Click Start Streaming

This post was edited by ArtofApocalypse on Dec 16 2013 03:32pm
Retired Moderator
Jul 15 2013 08:05pm

If you experience a problem, please post in the General Help

When posting, please provide the following information in your topic:

1) Your speedtest.net Results
2) Your CPU
3) Your Stream Link

Description of the problem you're having

Everybody's computer and internet is different so problems are likely to happen if you're new to the software. I or somebody else will be glad to help you inside the General Help subforum

This post was edited by ArtofApocalypse on Dec 16 2013 03:32pm
Go Back To User Blogs Topic List
Closed New Topic