d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Other Games > Other Games > Elder Scrolls Series > Skyrim Guides, Tips, & Tricks
12Next
Closed New Trade New Service New Price Check New Topic New Poll
Retired Moderator
Gold: 37,910.00
Trader: Trusted
Jan 28 2013 03:07pm

Hello there! I've decided to create a basic Skyrim guide for new players to Skyrim or the Elder Scrolls series in general. I'm sure it would have been better to have a basic guide out shortly after the game was released but jsp is a growing community and there are always new players to different games! With SO much to do on Skyrim I hope this guide reveals something new to veteran players and helps newer players to the game who are just about to embark on their epic dragon slaughtering journey! :thumbsup: For now I have left out Dawnguard and Dragon Born DLC simply because I have been tied up with RL + other games and have yet to play them. If you'd like to write a a guide on either of those just shoot me a pm and we can work from there. :D

I'd first like to start out with some special thanks to some friends who have collaborated with me to make this guide!

Markro for overseeing this project and pinning it.
Beacon for all the much appreciated feedback.
Paraphilia for merging all my images.
uberubie for giving me some great ideas to add to this guide.

Again thank you everyone for your help! :D

Throughout this guide I will cover the following:
  • Character Classes
  • Skills
  • Enchanting, Alchemy, & Blacksmithing
  • Standing Stones and Shrines
  • Factions
  • Purchasing Houses
  • How To Get Married
  • Followers
  • Daedric Quests & Items
  • Stones of Barenziah
  • Dragon Masks
  • Vampire VS Werewolf
  • Hearthfire
  • Tips & Tricks
  • More to come!
Retired Moderator
Jan 28 2013 03:10pm
Character Classes & Their Bonuses

I'll start off with the different character classes, you can choose from 10 different races at the beginning of the game each having their own special abilities and skill bonuses. Along with their unique ability each class has a starting skill at level 25 and 5 skills at a starting level of 20. (Level 100 is max) The classes are: Altmer, Argonian, Bosmer, Breton, Dunmer, Imperial, Khajiit, Nord, Orsimer, and Redguard.
  • Altmer (High Elf) - are the most gifted in arcane arts and make the ideal mage.
    Skill Bonuses: Illusion (level 25), Alteration, Conjuration, Destruction, Enchanting, and Restoration (all level 20)
    Special Abilities: Highborn which increases the rate of magika (mana) regeneration vastly for 60 seconds. Along with Highborn the High Elf has a passive ability, Fortify Magika that increases your starting magika by 50 points.
  • Argonian (Reptile Race) - One of the playable beast races, are masters in guerrilla warfare and make proficient thieves.
    Skill Bonuses: Lockpicking (level 25), Alteration, Light Armor, Pickpocket, Restoration, and Sneak (all level 20)
    Special Abilities: Histskin (can only be used once a day) which recovers health 10 times faster for 60 seconds. Argonian blood grants a natural 50% resistance to disease and Argonians can also breathe underwater.
  • Bosmer (Wood Elf) - are master archers and can control animals.
    Skill Bonuses: Archery (level 25), Alchemy, Light Armor, Lockpicking, Pickpocket, Sneak (all level 20)
    Special Abilities: Command Animal (can only be used once a day), casting this on a wild beast commands an animal to ally with you for 60 seconds. Bosmer blood grants 50% resistance to disease and poison.
  • Breton - Along with the High Elf, Bretons make an ideal mage and possess a high magic resistance.
    Skill Bonuses: Conjuration (level 25), Alchemy, Alteration, Illusion, Restoration, and Speech (all level 20)
    Special Abilities: Dragon Skin (can only be used once a day), casting this absorbs 50% of magika from hostile spells for 60 seconds. Breton blood grants 25% resistance to magic.
  • Dunmer (Dark Elf) - provide a good balance between mage and stealth, make for good thieves and assassins.
    Skill Bonuses: Destruction (level 25), Alchemy, Alteration, Illusion, Light Armor, and Sneak (all level 20)
    Special Abilities: Ancestors Wrath (can only be used once a day), when opponents get to close they take 8 points of fire damage per second for 60 seconds. Dunmer blood grants 50% fire resistance.
  • Imperial - the superior race that has been dominating the Region for over 2000 years. Imperials make good traders and fighters.
    Skill Bonuses: +10 Restoration (level 25), Block, Destruction, Enchanting, Heavy Armor, and One Handed (all level 20)
    Special Abilities: Voice of the Emporer (can only be used once a day), when casting this it calms nearby people for 60 seconds. Imperials tend to have a bit more luck, always finding a higher amount of gold.
  • Khajiit (Cat Race) - One of playable beast races, due to their stealth and agility they make great thieves and assassins.
    Skill Bonuses: Sneak (level 25), Alchemy, Archery, Lockpicking, One Handed, Pickpocket, (all level 20)
    Special Abilities: Nighteye grants the Khajiit to see in the dark for 60 seconds. Having claws grants unarmed attacks 15 points of damage
  • Nord - Native to the land of Skyrim, Nords make great warriors, soldiers, mercenaries, and black smiths.
    Skill Bonuses: Two Handed (level 25), Block, One Handed, Light Armor, Smithing, and Speech (all level 20)
    Special Abilities: Battle Cry (can only be used once a day), causes opponents to flee for 30 seconds. Nord blood grants 50% cold resistance.
  • Orsimer (Orc) - Natural warriors/tanks
    Skill Bonuses: Heavy Armor (level 25), Block, Enchanting, One Handed, Smithing and Two Handed (all level 25)
    Special Abilities: Beserker Rage (can only be used once a day), doubles your damage, and takes half damage.
  • Redguard - Most talented warriors in all of the region.
    Skill Bonuses: One Handed (level 25), Alteration, Archery, Block, Destruction, and Smithing (all level 20)
    Special Abilities: Adrenaline Rush (can only be used once a day), using this regenerates your stamina 10x faster for 60 seconds. Redguard blood grants 50% resistance to poison.
Retired Moderator
Jan 28 2013 03:15pm
Skills

There are 18 skills each divided by the 3 main play styles in Skyrim. The skills are divided equally into 3 categories: The Mage, The Warrior, & The Thief. For example if your character is going to be a pure melee character it could greatly influence your character's power by pumping skill points into the skills that fall under the warrior category. Although keep in mind it is only a recommendation you can play however and level whichever skills you want! You can raise skills by using them, reading skill books, or paying other characters to train you in a specific skill. Remember you cannot respec so spend your skill points wisely!

The Mage:
  • Alteration - Spells that include: Detecting enemy, paralyzing foes, and more
  • Conjuration - Spells primarily used for summoning creates from Oblivion
  • Destruction - Spells for the offensive that include: Fire, Frost, and Shock
  • Illusion - Spells that include: Charm, Calm, Frenzy, Silence, Invsiibility, and more
  • Restoration - Spells that include: Healing, Wards, and more
  • Enchanting - Disenchanting magical items and creating new items with same magical perks (more on enchanting below)
The Warrior:
  • Archery - Using a bow or crossbow (crossbow requires Dawnguard expansion)
  • Block - Blocking attacks with a shield
  • Heavy Armor - Wearing and using heavy armor
  • One-Handed - Attacking with one handed weapons
  • Two-Handed - Attacking with two handed weapons
  • Smithing - Creating new armor and weapons (more on smithing below)
The Thief:
  • Alchemy - Creating potions or poisons (more on alchemy below)
  • Light Armor - Wearing and using light armor
  • Lockpicking - Unlocking locked doors/chests/cases
  • Pickpocket - Stealing items from people's pockets
  • Sneak - The art of stealth
  • Speech - Selling/buying goods, persuade, admire, intimidate, bribe and more
Retired Moderator
Jan 29 2013 12:51am
Enchanting, Blacksmithing, & Alchemy Explained

Enchanting, Blacksmithing, and Alchemy are all very useful skills to master (I personally don't use Alchemy much at all) Enchanting allows you to add powerful magical perks to all your gear and jewelry. Blacksmithing allows you to create every type of light armor and heavy armor. And alchemy allows to create powerful potions and deadly poisons.

Enchanting Explained

First off you will need one of the following:
  • Access to arcane enchanter (you can find these in nearly all Jarl Palaces, Long Houses,Wizards Quarter, or if you purchase a house you can buy one to be put in your house)
  • x amount of filled soul gems. 1 soul gem = 1 enchantment and so on
  • Any item with a magical perk (once you disenchant an item it is destroyed but you keep that magical perk as an enchantment forever)
  • Any non magical item to add an enchantment too
Where to get Soul Gems:
  • Exploring
  • Geode Ore Deposits
  • Can purchase from nearly any merchant (filled soul gems are much more expensive then empty)
How to capture a soul:
  • Cast the Conjuration spell Soul Trap on an enemy and kill them (can receive this skill from a skill book or Conjuration skill tree)
  • Use weapons that Soul Trap Enchantments to kill your foes
  • Use bound weapons and have the skills Soul Stealer unlocked (can receive this skill from Conjuration skill tree)
Type of soul gems:
  • Petty - creatures below level 4
  • Lesser - creatures below level 16
  • Common - creatures below level 28
  • Greater - creatures beloe level 38
  • Grand - any soul besides Humans
  • Black - Any soul
How to level enchanting up quickly:

I found the best way to quickly level enchanting up is to get the skill Soul Trap and also an item with soul trap enchantment. I liked to use a bow because I killed many animals for their souls and it is easier to get them from a range so you don't spook them. Also casting soul trap spell increases your Conjuration so you get to level 2 skills at once. I stock piled on any and every soul gem I came across, also collected iron daggers. If you have a house or access to a chest for now stock pile everything in there, I usually waited until I got to around 100 soul gems and iron daggers and then enchanted them all so my enchanting skill went up 30-40 levels in 1 sitting. (Iron daggers are the easiest item to smith so you can get smithing and enchanting up at the same rate and sell enchanted daggers to merchants and make some nice coin, will explain smithing below)

Smithing Explained

First I'll briefly go over the different smithing stations and what each does:
  • Smelter - Turns mined ore into ingots
  • Tanning Rack - Creates Leather/Leather Strips from animal hide
  • Forge & Anvil - Crafts armor, weapons, and jewelry
  • Workbench - Upgrades armor and shields
  • Grindstone - Upgrades weapons
As you level your smithing up you will be able to unlock perks in your skill tree thus rewarding you with different and better armors of the same class (light and heavy) aswell as being able to upgrade weapons and armor more efficiently. Each type of armor and weapon requires a different recipe to create the item which will be listed in the game. At the beginning of the game I'd advise getting a pick axe so you can mine ore, turn it into ingot, and use it to create new items. I'd also advise collecting animal hide to create leather. The best way I found to level smithing up is by creating iron daggers. You will need 1 iron ingot and 1 leather strip, these are very cheap to buy, and common to find throughout the region. Just like enchanting, stock pile iron daggers, iron ore, iron ingots, leather, and leather strips. Iron ore can be turned into iron ingots at the smelter and leather can be turned into leather strips at the tanning rack. If you a lot of coin to spare you can fast travel around Skyrim to all major cities where there is a black smith and buy all his leather strips and iron ingots, then fast travel to the next city and repeat. By the time you do a full circle of the region more then likely a day will pass and the first black smith should be stocked up on his iron ingots and leather strips and you can repeat the whole process again and within a few hours black smithing will be to 100. ( I traveled to Riften, Riverwood, Markarth, Solitude, Dawnstar, Whiterun, and Windhelm) With all these newly crafted iron daggers you can use them to enchant them and get Enchanting and Blacksmithing up at the same time. Time consuming, but rewarding.

Daedric Smithing:

You can make some really cool looking and powerful items smithing Daedric items. You must have Ebony smithing unlocked as well of having smithing at level 90. To smith Daedric items you need ebony ingots, Daedric Hearts and leather strips. If you plan on Deadric smithing hold onto any and all Daedric hearts you come across because they are not as common. Below is a list of recurring, random recurring, and one time only locations to collect Daedric hearts.

Recurring:
  • Shrine of Mehrunes Dagon - 4 Dremora spawn once in a week (game time) and you can get 4 here each time
  • Enthir at the College of Winterhold - has 2 that restock every few days (game time)
  • Jorrvaskr - Kodlak's room
  • Hall of the Vigilant - On a table at the far end of the room, respawns at the start of each month (game time)
  • Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary - Babette has 2

Random & Recurring:
  • Alchemist Vendors
  • Apothecary's satchel (rare)
  • Enemy spellcaster (rare)
  • Drelas' Cottage - check the barrels
  • Bolar - an alchemist in Narzulbur
  • Vigilants of Stendarr (rare)
  • Bard's Leap Summit - loot a hargraven (rare)
  • Under Saarthal - during this quest one may be found in the apothecary's satchel under the table where the Psijic Order is first encountered

One Time Only:
  • Waking Nightmare Quest - in the labatory within Nightcaller Temple
  • The Black Star Quest - 3 Dremora mages you kill
  • Deadric Relic Quest - Velehk Sain will drop one if killed
  • Locate Reyda's Remains Quest - your reward is 3 ingredients, one of them may be a heart
  • Shalidor's Maze - one can be looted off a Dremora Valkynaz after you kill it
  • Forbidden Legend Quest - one can be found on the corpse of Daynas Valen

Below is a list of locations with an abundant supply for Ebony ingots:
  • Gloomboound Mine (southeast of Windhelm)
  • Redbelly Mine (north of Riften)
  • Shrine of Mehrunes Dagon (respawn every 7 days game time)
  • Top of The Throat of the World
  • Shor's Stone
  • Markarth's Treasury House - in a safe
  • Wreck of the Brinehammer (between Dawnstar and Solitude)

Alchemy Explained

First off you will need the following:
  • Access to alchemy lab (can be found in alchemy shops, private studies, sometimes inns, court wizard quarters, and can be bought to be put in your house)
  • Ingredients, which can be found exploring or bought at alchemy shops in any major city

All ingredients have a primary, secondary, tertiary, and quaternary effects. You can discover effects by either eating the ingredients or combining ingredients with other ingredients. After you find different effects of ingredients you can now combine specific ingredients to make specific potions that you may want/need. At the beginning stages though it is about exploring which ingredients do what. You can also find recipe books exploring or purchase them from merchants that will tell you how to make certain potions or poisons. To level up Alchemy simply brew potions in the alchemy lab, the more valuable the effect is the more valuable the potion is, which in return will cause you to level up quicker.

The effects below will contribute the most value to potions then others (these are in order):
  • Paralysis
  • Damage Magicka Regen
  • Invisibility
  • Slow
  • Fortify Carry Weight
  • Regenerate Health/Stamina/Magicka

One ingredient that must be mentioned when creating a valuable potion is the Giant's Toe. When using a Fortify Health potion the Giant's toe adds almost 5 times more to the base value of the potion. If your skill is high enough 1 potion can reach a few thousand gold. Below are recipes for the best potions to sell that include the Giant's Toe:
  • Giant's Toe + Bear Claws + Hanging Moss
  • Giant's Toe + Creep Cluster + Wheat
  • Giant's Toe + Blue Butterfly Wing + Blue Mountain Flower

Below are the best receipes for the best potions to sell that do not include the Giant's Toe:
  • Chaurus Eggs + Garlic + Vampire Dust
  • Chaurus Eggs + Luna Moth Wing + Vampire Dust
  • Chaurus Eggs + Luna Moth Wing +Namira's Rot
  • Deathbell + Dwarven Oil + Salt Pile
  • Creep Cluster + Mora Tapinella + Scaly Pholiota

If you want to "cheat" alchemy to level 100 you can also go to Whiterun, go to Arcadia's Cauldron, talk to Arcadia and have her train you in alchemy, then pickpocket your gold back. You can do this level 1-75. Then go visit Babette in the Dark Brotherhood and do the same thing 76-90. There are 5 skill books and 3 quests for Alchemy that will take you to 100.
Retired Moderator
Jan 29 2013 12:52am
Standing Stones & Shrines

Through out Skyrim there are 13 standing stones. Here is a list of all of them and their perks they will add to your character for having them activated. You can only have 1 stone active at a time but can change stones as much as you want.
  • The Warrior Stone - Combat skills increase 20% faster
  • The Thief Stone - Stealth skills increase 20% faster
  • The Mage Stone - Magic skills increase 20% faster
  • The Lover Stone - All Skills increase 15% faster
  • The Apprentice Stone - Recover Magika twice as fast; twice as vulnerable to magika damage
  • The Atronach Stone - 50 points into Magika, 50% Absorb spells, -50% Magika regen
  • The Lady Stone - Regenerate health and stamina 25% faster
  • The Lord Stone - +50 Armor, +25% magic resistance
  • The Ritual Stone - Raises dead around you to fight for you (can only be used once a day)
  • The Serpent Stone - Paralyze the target for 5 seconds; do 25 points of poison damage (can only be used once a day)
  • The Shadow Stone - Invisibility for 60 seconds (can only be used once a day)
  • The Steed Stone - Carry extra 100 lbs, equipped armor has no weight and does not slow you down
  • The Tower Stone - Unlock any lock any difficulty automatically (can only be used once a day)
Along with bonuses from standing stones you can also receive blessings from the gods from activating altars and temples dedicated to that god around Skyrim. Blessings only stay active for about 8 hours of game play, then you will have to go back and re-activate it.
  • Shrine of Akatosh - Magicka regenerates 10% Faster
  • Shrine of Arkay - Increases your health by 25 points
  • Shrine of Auriel - 10% more effective with missile weapons (only available with Dawnguard DLC)
  • Shrine of Dibella - Increase speechcraft by 10 points
  • Shrine of Julianos - Increase Magicka by 25 points
  • Shrine of Kynareth - Increase stamina by 25 points
  • Shrine of Mara - Healing spells restore 10% more health
  • Shrine of Nocturnal - You are 10% harder to detect (daedric god)
  • Shrine of Stendarr - Block 10% more damage with shield
  • Shrine of Talos - Time between shouts reduced by 20%
  • Shrine of Zenithar - Prices are 10% better
Retired Moderator
Jan 29 2013 12:54am
Factions

In Skyrim there are 13 factions you can join. Here is a list of them and how to gain admittance:
  • Bards College - Head to Solitude to the Bards College and talk to Viarmo. Complete the quest he asks you to do.
  • Blades - Part of the main quest line.
  • The College of Winterhold - Go to Winterhold and head to the college, on your way up the gatekeeper will stop you and ask you to display some magical spells, don't worry you don't have to be a mage they are very basic skills. Once completed you gain access to the college.
  • The Companions - This faction can be met at the beginning of the game on your way to Whiterun. They will be outside Whiterun and you can assist them in their fight against a giant. Afterwards they will invite you to Jorrvaskr, the Companions headquarters in Whiterun. If you somehow miss them no biggy you can head into Whiterun and go to the Jorrvaskr and talk to various members until directed to the leader Kodlak Whitemane. They will have you train with another member, Vilkas, to see what you're made of. Afterwards Vilkas will send you on a minuscule errand to sharpen a sword at their blacksmith. The blacksmith will ask you to return a shield to another member, Aela. After these 2 errands are completed you can start your first real quest, once completed you are initiated into the Companions.
  • The Circle - A small subfaction within the Companions which possess the power of Lycanthropy. You must complete the Companion quest Proving Honor before being eligible to join the Circle.
  • The Coven of Namira - A group of cannibals that worship the Daedric Prince Namira. Must complete the Daedric quest The Taste of Death to be initiated.
  • The Dark Brotherhood - A faction of ruthless assassins. To join go to any inn and ask for the latest gossip, the innkeeper may tell the player that Aventus Aretino is trying to perform the Black Sacrament in Windhelm. If you're in Riften you can speak to a name named Maul who is found leaning against a post to the left at the entrance of the city. You can either pay,persuade,intimidate, or bribe and in return Maul will tell you information about both the Dark Brotherhood and the Thieves Guild. Speak to Aventus Aretino and it will start the quest Innocent Lost. After accepting Aventus' proposal head to Honorhall Orphanage in Riften. Speak to the children there and they will provide more information about Aventus and his plans. After killing the headmistress 24 hours later you will receive a letter by a courier in any city from the Dark Brotherhood. After receiving the letter go to sleep and you will be abducted and wake up in an abandoned shack. There the Dark Brotherhood representative will ask you to kill the potential victims, after doing so this will initiate you into the Dark Brotherhood.
  • Imperial Legion - After the quest Unbound you have the option to join either the Imperial Legion or the Stormcloaks. To do so head to Solitude and and talk to General Tullius in Castle Dour. He will tell you to talk to Legate Rikke, who gives you your first quest, after completing it you take your oath with the Legion
  • Nightingales - Secret inner circle within Thieves Guild, must complete the quest Trinity Restored to become a Nightingale.
  • Stormcloaks - Just like the Legion after the quest Unbound you have the option to join the Stormcloaks or the Imperial Legion. To do so head to Windhelm and speak to Jarl Ulfric's second-in-command, Galmar Stone-First. He will give you a quest, once completed you swear an oath and are now a member of the Stormcloak rebellion.
  • Thieves Guild - Head to Riften and speak to Brynjolf, a Nord in the Riften Marketplace. You must speak to him between 8:00 AM and 8:00 PM. He will give you your initiation quest, if you some how fail the quest you will still be inducted into the guild but treated lowly by other members.
  • Dawnguard - The initiation quest is given by either a Hold Guard or an Orc named Duak. Either or will ask the player about joining the Dawnguard who are vampire hunters. You must be level 10 or higher to access Dawnguard quest line (requires Dawnguard DLC)
  • Volkihar Clan - A powerful clan of vampires. To join you must start the Dawnguard quest line, on the quest Bloodline you must decide whether to continue helping the Dawnguard or join the vampire Volkihar Clan.

List of non-joinable factions you come across in Skyrim:
  • Forsworn
  • Alik'r Coterie
  • Blackblood Marauders
  • Black-Briars
  • East Empire Trading Company
  • Penitus Oculatus
  • Psijic Order
  • Summerset Shadows
  • The Silver-Bloods
  • Silver Hand
  • The Synod
  • Thalmor
  • Vigilants of Stendarr
  • Greaybeards
Retired Moderator
Jan 29 2013 12:56am
Purchasing Houses

In Skyrim you can purchase and own 5 houses. Some houses will come with a housecarl that will watch your home when you're off questing. With every house you purchase also follows the options to buy decorations such as: Kitchen Furnishings, Alchemy Lab, Enchanting Lab, Bedroom Furnishings, Armory, + more. Some houses have certain decorations for only that house. An example would be the Riften house has garden furnishings that be purchased. To purchase furnishings you must speak to the Jarl's steward for that specific city.
  • Breezehome
    How to unlock: Purchased from Proventus Avenicci. Must complete the quest Bleak Falls Burrow or from Brill after taking Whiterun. Housecarl: Lyrdia
  • Honeyside
    How to unlock: Purchased from Anuriel. Must become thane of Riften. Housecarl: Iona
  • Vlindrel Hall
    How to unlock: Purchased from Raerek. Must complete number of quests for the Jarl including the quest Recover Hrolfdir's Shield. (You can only recieve that quest after reaching level 20) Housecarl: Argis the Bulwark
  • Hjerim
    How to unlock: Must complete the quest Blood on the Ice and either Stormcloak or Imperial Army questlines. Housecarl: Calder
  • Proudspire Manor
    How to unlock: Must complete quest Elisif's Tribute for the Jarl. Housecarl: Jordis the Sword-Maiden
Retired Moderator
Jan 29 2013 12:57am
How to get married

Getting married in Skyrim has quite a few pros. Below I'll tell you how to get married and the pros that follow.

You must first acquire the Amulet of Mara. You can find this artifact or purchase it from Maramal in Riften. He will either be in the Temple of Mara or The Bee and Barb. If you get the amulet elsewhere you still have to talk to Maramal about marriage. After acquiring this item new dialogue is available with NPCs aslong as the player is both wearing the amulet and has met the requirement to marry the character, normally this involves completing a quest. After you express to your chosen spouse that you want to marry him or her there will be a wedding ceremony hosted approximately 24 hours after.

After marrying you can choose where you want to live, either in your spouses home or one of yours. You can move from house to house if you choose. Your spouse may also want to set up a shop in the town to keep herself occupied if you do not take them out adventuring. A nice way to get a little extra coin. (you can still collect gold from your spouse if you choose to take them with you) Your spouse can make a home cooked meal once a day that increases the regeneration of magicka, health, and stamina. If you sleep with your spouse you gain a temporary bonus called Lover's Comfort which increases the rate of skill-learning by 15%. If you have the Lover Stone activated or you are a werewolf you cannot receive this benefit. If you have the Hearthfire DLC you can adopt children. More explained on Hearthfire later.

Below is a list of potential husbands you can marry along with their race, location, and requirements to marry him:

Below is a list of potential wives you can marry along with their race, location, and requirements to marry her:

Retired Moderator
Jan 29 2013 12:58am
Followers

Followers are a variety of characters that live throughout Skyrim with different skills such as combat, magic, stealth, etc. Most followers can be married and you can release and re-hire different followers through the course of the game. You can also have animal followers such as dogs. Some followers can also be skill trainers. Although the odds are in your favor, your follower can still die from combat, friendly fire, fall from great heights, being poisoned, and more. You can command your follower to pick up items, wait, attack, open doors, sleep, sit, activate a shrine, perform jobs, pick pocketing and more. You can also give your follower armor and weapons for personal use or use them as a packing mule.

Below is the list of followers with their name, race, class, location, and requirements for that character to become your follower.

Below is the list of animal followers along with their type, location, and requirement to become your follower. Most of these followers require Dawnguard DLC

Retired Moderator
Jan 29 2013 01:01am
Daedric Quests & Items

In Skyrim you can let your evil side out and help the Daedric Princes. These can be quite rewarding. Below is a list of all 15 Daedric Artifacts you can collect and the quests you must complete to earn that artifact. Some of these quests require you to reach a certain level requirement so keep that in mind.
  • The Black Star
    How to receive quest: Talk to Aranea Lenith at the Shrine of Azura, located south of Winterhold.
    Reward: The Black Star
    Level Requirement: None
  • Boethiah's Calling
    How to receive quest: Must find the book Boethiah's Proving. Can be found in either: Septimus Signus's Outpost, a random Boethiah Cultist, Abandoned house in Markarth, Hob's Fall Cave, or can be purchased from Urag go-Shrub at The College of Winterhold
    Reward: Ebony Mail
    Level Requirement: 30
  • A Daedra's Best Friend
    How to receive quest: Find Barbass the dog near Falkreath. Should use the meat given to you by Lod to lure him
    Reward: Masque of Clavicus Vile
    Level Requirement: 10
  • Discerning the Transmundane
    How to receive quest: Speak to Septimus Signus, at his outpost, in a cave north of Winterhold
    Reward: Oghma Infinium
    Level Requirement: 15
  • Ill Met By Moonlight
    How to receive quest: Talk to Mathies Caerellia, the father of the little girl who was murdered. Located in Falkreath. Then speak to Sinding, a prisoner in the Falkreath Barracks
    Reward: Savior's Hide or Cursed Ring of Hircine
  • The Cursed Tribe
    How to receive quest: Go to Largashbur and speak to the orc Atub.
    Reward: Volendrung
    Level Requirement: 9
  • Pieces of the past
    How to receive quest: Must collect other Daedric artifacts and you will receive an invitation from a courier to Mythic Dawn Museum in Dawnstar.
    Reward: Mehrunes Razor
    Level Requirement: 20
  • The Whispering Door
    How to receive quest: After hearing a rumor in the Bannered Mare, speak to Jarl Balgruuf in Dragonscreach. If you have sided with the Storm Cloaks he is in the basement of the Blue Palace in Solitude. He will tell you about his son's problems and thus starts the quest.
    Reward: Ebony Blade
    Level Requirement: 20 AND must complete main quest Dragon Rising
  • The Break of Dawn
    How to receive quest: Must find the item Meridia's Beacon, can be anywhere, in giant camps, ruins, bandit holds etc.
    Reward: Dawnbreaker
    Level Requirement: 12
  • The House of Horrors
    How to receive quest: Upon arriving to Markarth, Tyranus will ask you to investigate an abandoned house for daedric activity.
    Reward: Mace of Molag Bal
  • The Taste of Death
    How to receive quest: Go to the Silver-Blood Inn in Markarth and speak to Kleppr. He will tell you a rumor about The Hall of the Dead being closed. Speak to Brother Verulus, he will be having an argument with Thongvor Silver-Blood. You can bribe,persuade, or intimidate him for information and access to The Hall of the Dead
    Reward: Ring of Namira/Amulet of Arkay
  • The Only Cure
    How to receive quest: Speak to Kesh the Clean at the Shrine of Peryite.
    Reward: Spell Breaker
    Level Requirement: 12
  • A Night to Remember
    How to receive quest: Meet Sam Guevenne in any tavern within Skyrim's major cities and accept his drinking contest.
    Reward: Sanguine Rose
    Level Requirement: 14
  • The Mind of Madness
    How to receive quest: Listen for a rumor at The Winking Skeever in Solitude about a man in the streets around the Blue Palace. Find and speak to Dervenin.
    Reward: Wabbajack
  • Waking Nightmare
    How to receive quest: Speak to Erandur in the Windpeak Inn in Dawnstar.
    Reward: Skull of Corruption or Erandur as a follower.
Go Back To Elder Scrolls Series Topic List
12Next
Closed New Trade New Service New Price Check New Topic New Poll